Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Why did you buy a JK?

Old 07-18-2008, 08:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Why did you buy a JK?

My minivan was totalled and while I'm a single full time dad (kids ages 7 and 6), I just couldn't bring myself to own another minivan despite how useful they are. But I couldn't find an SUV that suited me. Somehow though I bought a used minivan as I was driving off the lot, I saw the JK! Never seen one before!! Went back and they cancelled the minivan transaction and sold me the JK. My kids totally LOVE being in it and so do their friends. I have a 3rd row seat but too bad there's no way to turn off the passenger airbag because if I could, I could put another kid in the Jeep. Here are my uses:

- Been camping many times now with it. A convertible SUV is priceless when camping. Driving through the redwoods ( I live in the Bay Area) and looking at all those big trees- just beautiful.
- Will start offroading this week. I won't go crazy with this hobby, but it'll be something I do on occasion. But I hear that once you do it you're hooked, so we'll see...
- I plan on getting a small boat and/or jet skis in a few years, so I'll need to have something that can tow. Dropping the boat/skis in a convertible SUV will be fun at the dock no doubt.
- Just owning a Jeep and having the doors off and top down makes your typical commute fun. And whenever I pick up my kids' friends they cheer because they're excited to get in. 99% of parents here in the Bay Area have an Odyssey (if you're rebellious, you buy the Sienna lol...), so they're stoked to see this giant 7 passenger convertible yellow SUV show up
- Drive in movies- everyone piles in the Jeep with the top down and watches the movie. Some sit on the cross bar of the cage. A totally American site to see. Drive-in, kids having fun, kick a$$ American vehicle...
- "Hmmm...I won't beat this light. Here, I'll just drive over the center divider." That's always useful.
- Double takes from admirers: You can see the "Good Lord what the heck is that thing?" look on their faces.
- Useful- my JK is incredibly useful. I can't count how many times I've had the seats down and the back full of 2x4's, foundation planks, concrete, while the roof (with the top down) has a stack of 8x8 sheets of plywood. I've been to HOME Depot more than ever since I bought the JKI
- JK's perfect for that little American flag that sits in the door hinges. Move over Smart Car. There's a JK behind you...
Old 07-18-2008, 08:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i always had fancied a wrangler, and they are rare here

plus the h3 i also fancied couldn be delivered for months, and the dealer did me an amazing 2yr deal on the "demo" car they had just got which had only done 13miles, that i could drive away within 72hrs!

since getting it i have also found it amazingly practical, and recently my gf and i took a trip to france and toured around and rather than messing around setting up a tent and what have you, we dropped the back seats and slept in the back at service areas where there were amenities, and its just as big a double bed anydays and with a duvet to sleep on, easily as comfortable!!
Old 07-18-2008, 08:46 AM
JK Super Freak

Wow!! People must flip in Europe when they see a JK. My German relatives visited recently and they were in awe as we drove around w/o doors and top. "Wait'll you try a double double animal style and animal style well done fries at In and Out. In and Out, a Jeep...you're getting the full American experience."

Good choice over the H3. I've been in one and they're surprisingly cramped and actually quite similar in size to a JK.
Old 07-18-2008, 08:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spartan99
I have a 3rd row seat but too bad there's no way to turn off the passenger airbag because if I could, I could put another kid in the Jeep.
1) Just so you know, the passenger airbag turns off automagically when it senses a passenger who is too small / too light to safely be protected by it. These "smart" airbags are mandated in all 2003 (?) and newer vehicles. In theory, there is no need for a manual kill switch anymore, although I personally hate "magic" electronics, and would prefer a switch myself. Of course, as I'm sure you know, kids are safest in the back - but it's nice to know you CAN put one up front if you need to.

2) Care to elaborate on your 3rd row seat?

3) Why I bought my JK: Been a Jeep guy my whole life. My first was a '71 CJ (purchased in 1984 when I was still in high school), followed by a CJ7 during my college years, then a YJ after that. Kept the YJ until 2001, when I had to give it up because I had kids - it's really really hard to squeeze kids in the back of a YJ, plus they weren't very safe back there. I was Jeepless and miserable for 6 years, then along came the 4-door JK. At first I didn't like the looks of the 4-door, but it grew on me over time, and the lure of getting back into a Jeep was too strong. I had to have one. So here I am.

That's my story.
Old 07-18-2008, 08:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The quick answer is --- I wanted itI loved my TJ but wanted more, got it too
Old 07-18-2008, 09:07 AM
JK Super Freak

1) Really? That's great! Could you please post a link to some type of reference? Please don't think that I think you are uninformed or lying, I just would like evidence as I don't want to be ticketed for having someone under 12 in my front seat. I haven't heard of this sensor thing before and if it's true, I'm stoked and I thank you for the info!!

2) http://www.littlepassengerseats.com/4_dr_jeep_wrangler.htm

I got the third row folding bench seat that seats two. I ordered the 3 passenger, but when I got the two passenger I actually found the two passenger more convenient anyway as it leaves room on the sides of the seat and Jeep body to store things. Took about 6weeks for delivery and I had to make my own bracket to attach the rear part to the floor. The rear part of the seat sits where the "trunk" is, so you have to bolt a bar across it as a platform. Nothing you can't do with a good drill set and a piece of metal. And the rear seat comes out easily. Very very useful and convenient. Pricey though at $450 and I've heard others who simply found a bench seat at a junkyard for $20 or whatever. I would've gone that route had I known how easy it is to install. There's plenty of room back there to get creative with your installation.

3) Cool. I had a CJ7 in college.

Last edited by toad; 07-18-2008 at 09:32 AM. Reason: Please refrain from direct links to non-sponsored vendors :) Thank you!
Old 07-18-2008, 09:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

I always love Jeep Wrangler (I had a few TJ's in the past, so the JK is my 5th Wrangler). Can't picture myself driving anything else
Old 07-18-2008, 09:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spartan99
1) Really? That's great! Could you please post a link to some type of reference? Please don't think that I think you are uninformed or lying, I just would like evidence as I don't want to be ticketed for having someone under 12 in my front seat. I haven't heard of this sensor thing before and if it's true, I'm stoked and I thank you for the info!!
I don't know the specifics, but when I but my laptop bag on the passenger seat, the airbag light comes on saying it's off.

I don't have the light when the seat is empty, or an adult is sitting there...
Old 07-18-2008, 09:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

1) Needed to replace my worn-out 1994 Land Rover Defender 90 with something that was equally (or nearly equally) capable off road. Since no Defenders have been imported since 1997 (and never will again), I had been looking for some other suitable option for the past 5 years.

2)Wanted to buy American since mail-ordering every single part on an aging British 4x4 was as expensive as it was frustrating.

3) Needed to be able to carry 4 Saint Bernards, a wife, and camping gear

4) Wanted an off-road vehicle with a long warranty

We rented Wranglers on our honeymoon and on a couple anniversary trips and the 2005 Wrangler Unlimited with the longer wheelbase made me realize that a Jeep might just fit a few Saint Bernards. When Jeep went one step further and added 4 doors, I knew there was finally a vehicle out there for me.

And so I bought my Unlimited Rubicon. . . . . What I can't figure out is why it too Jeep so darn long to try adding a couple more doors?

Last edited by Yucca Patrol; 07-18-2008 at 09:23 AM.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I've had Jeeps (nothing but Jeeps) since 1998, but never a Wrangler.

I always wanted a Wrangler, but needed my vehicle as a daily driver, so 4 doors was an issue. Needless to say the JK met my needs.

I've never been happier with a vehicle, and all the things it can do!

Quick Reply: Why did you buy a JK?