Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Why did you buy a JK?

Old 07-18-2008, 09:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spartan99
1) Really? That's great! Could you please post a link to some type of reference? Please don't think that I think you are uninformed or lying, I just would like evidence as I don't want to be ticketed for having someone under 12 in my front seat. I haven't heard of this sensor thing before and if it's true, I'm stoked and I thank you for the info!!

Page 52 in the owner's manual (2007 - might be different for 2008) describes the Occupnat Classification System (OCS). That's the magical electronic gizmo that decides whether or not the passenger airbag will deploy in an accident, based on the size and weight of the occupant. There is an indicator light down by the gear shift area that will turn on if the system has detected that someone is in that seat who is not large/heavy enough to safely deploy the airbag.

Note that, for the most part, this really only applies to an infant in a rear-facing car seat. For all others, the airbags should be allowed to deploy as determined by the computer. There was a time when it was recommended to disable the passenger airbag for small (front-facing) children, but that is no longer considered necessary because of the multi stage inflator design. Thesethings have been in use for years now and the computers are pretty darn good at knowing when - and when not - to deploy the bags, and with how much force. In general, if the bag deploys, there is a good reason for it, so it's best to just let it do its job.

Thanks for the info on the 3rd row seat.

Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack your thread. Now back to our regularly scheduled discussion on....what were we talking about again?
Old 07-18-2008, 09:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'll put some weight on the front seat and see what happens. I can't find anything on line about this, even at Jeep's website. But, I just spoke with a service writer at my local dealer and he said that this does exist. He said to test it to ensure it's working, place some weight on the front seat (enough weight for the sensor to pick up) and buckle the seatbelt. If the airbag light turns on, that means the sensor's turned off the airbag. Hope it works and thanks for the info. I'll check out the owner's manual as well. This website's incredibly handy. Lot's of knowledge around here!!
Old 07-18-2008, 10:03 AM
JK Freak

by the way, there have been some posts on here discussing where and what light will light up.

some of the 07's have a light in the bar down by the hazzard lights, but my 08 rubicon and most of the 08's i think, don't have that light there, so there's no way to tell if it is disabled or not, you just have to "trust" the computer that it's off. I can set anything of any weight in my passenger seat and no light anywhere turns on to show that it's disabled but the system is there.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:13 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I wanted a vehicle that would do more than just drive around. So I started looking into Jeeps but then my Aunt's Husband flipped his Jeep which freaked out my mom so that got knocked out of the question :(! But then they came out with the JK unlimited and I started bringing it up to my mom and Dad that it had a longer wheel base and wasn't as dangerous, a ton off fun, enough room to carry my friends! And soon enough we found a Sahara marked down by 10,000 and we took it!
Old 07-18-2008, 11:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

1) Shopping for a new vehicle in the winter, my G/F got cold, so we hopped in and the heater was awesome. Seriously.

2) When I went back to have another look my 1/4 Sierra got stuck in the icy parking lot and got towed out with the same X that I test drove the week before.

Two ridiculous reasons I know, but I also grew up driving 4Runners and such, so felt totally natural.
Old 07-18-2008, 11:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

I chose the JK because....
1) great MPG
2) creature comforts galore
3) smooth like butter suspension

Old 07-18-2008, 11:13 AM
JK Junkie

b/c I needed a bigger wrangler and the unlimited fit the bill
Old 07-18-2008, 11:19 AM
JK Freak

Love to hunt, they turn on a dime and a brezz to park in trees.
Old 07-18-2008, 11:27 AM
JK Freak

Because i've wanted one for 19 years (that's when I turned 16), and hadn't gotten one, my truck was about to crap out on me, and we needed my vehicle to be one to hold all 4 of us, and so I got to go out and get it.

WOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-18-2008, 11:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

1. First and foremost: FOUR doors! To me, it just looks cool!!
2. 4-wheel drive - we have a lot of trails around here & I didn't really want to take my Sequoia 4wd around getting all scratched up.
3. The dealer I bought from had the half-door model.
4. It was black.
5. MyGig is really awesome when you boil down to it.
6. So adaptable to the weather (no top, soft top, bikini top, mesh top, doors/no doors, etc.)

I REALLY wanted one the first year they came out in '07, but (correctly) assumed that there would be bugs to work out from production. So, I waited for what seemed like an eternity - and I have a JK with the only issue being the 'B' pillar rattle which I fixed.

I love the JK!!

Quick Reply: Why did you buy a JK?