JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Talk (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/)
-   -   Why do people buy Jeeps, sink a ton of money into them and then sell them? (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/why-do-people-buy-jeeps-sink-ton-money-into-them-then-sell-them-312474/)

ShiftKnowledge 10-26-2014 09:32 AM

Why do people buy Jeeps, sink a ton of money into them and then sell them?

There are people all over CL with new Jeeps that have mods out the wazoo, hardly any miles at all and then they just want to sell them on CL.

I don't get it. And they want between 45k and 60k for them. Yeah right.

Why go through all of the PIA mods and then turn around and sell it?

I could post links like this all day long :doh:

2013 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited Rock Crawler

Billbikes 10-26-2014 09:50 AM

You see this with motorcycles too. They get something and go whole hog, then either life gets in the way or they lose interest and go into something else. I'm sure some start having money troubles or get the quintessential it's me or the Jeep line....

LidLess07X 10-26-2014 09:59 AM

For me it's mental health therapy.

I don't consider the mods a pain in the ass. I plan my mods knowing what my frustration level will be. Hence, the reason most of my mods are just bolt on.

I deal with seasonal disorder and every year it gets a little worse.

I purchase parts all summer long and don't touch them til fall. I spend my free time in the garage during the winter.

I have owned and modded 5 fox body Mustangs, 2 fourth gen Z28s, a Harley, and 2 classic Chevy trucks.

When I sell them, most times I lose money and sometimes I make money.

But......

I always look back and realize I enjoyed working on them, but the best part is knowing they kept me from going Ape-shit on some of the rude, stupid, or inconsiderate pricks I run across during the course of my life.

Someday, someone will get a really nice , well kept, 2010 JKU Sport, and I won't be in the psych ward because of it👍

jaker t5 10-26-2014 10:09 AM

I think the two biggest reason are

Life gets in the way and losing interest (AKA not what they tought it would be )

I have been thinking of selling my jeep lately because I haven't been driving it , for example a drove it yesterday and the time before that was sept 7th and both times out maybe a total of 20 miles

I think this year so far a put maybe 150 miles on it and I think that might be to high

Joisey 10-26-2014 10:18 AM

I got rid of my monster of a two door be a use life got in the way, and having two doors no longer suited my needs.

bolverk 10-26-2014 12:20 PM

People get carried away...build them to the point the vehicle isn't good for regular use and can't afford the actual wear and tear....or the build is the fun part...once its built....they get bored! Its happened to me...both ways built my mustang to the point it was almost completely useless to drive anywhere except the track...sold it! Had a jeep TJ that I built up into an extremely capable trail rig...but ran out of things to do to it...got bored with it and sold it...my 13 JKUR on the other hand has nearly 35k on the odo and its still fun to drive....instead of massive lift and tires...I'm tweaking everything else first...bumpers, under armor, lights, spod, backup camera, etc...maybe throw some 33s on it once the Stock BFGs wear out...then maybe a small lift and 35s...I got a 76 Bronco Explorer XLT in the garage that's my dream ride...but I need maybe $50k to build it like I want...so it keeps sitting waiting for me to hit the lottery
..look

Ryan0260 10-26-2014 05:35 PM

Some people build them just for profit. Some buyers just want a finished product that they can turn the key, and go. Plus, some will finance the whole amount so they aren't coming out of pocket for mods.

mattgt5 10-26-2014 06:08 PM

I do it because I think it's fun. I buy them right, mod them the right way with top quality stuff. Drive them till I'm bored and sell them. Yes I make a profit. I agree that the $50k jeep modded out with smittybilt stuff is stupid. I sold one for more than $50k but it was a built machine. It's become a hobby. As long as I don't lose money, it's a good hobby.

sent from my work leash

ShiftKnowledge 10-26-2014 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by mattgt5 (Post 4002438)
I do it because I think it's fun. I buy them right, mod them the right way with top quality stuff. Drive them till I'm bored and sell them. Yes I make a profit. I agree that the $50k jeep modded out with smittybilt stuff is stupid. I sold one for more than $50k but it was a built machine. It's become a hobby. As long as I don't lose money, it's a good hobby.

sent from my work leash

Love Mt P

great city errr town whatever

mattgt5 10-27-2014 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by ShiftKnowledge (Post 4002463)
Love Mt P great city errr town whatever

It is a great place to be.

sent from my work leash