JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Talk (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/)
-   -   Why are so many selling their superchips programmers??? (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/why-so-many-selling-their-superchips-programmers-137522/)

qzing01 07-22-2010 08:12 AM

Why are so many selling their superchips programmers???

I have been looking at getting a superchips programmer, and there are always a ton of used ones for sale. Is there something better? Is there something wrong with the programmer? I just dont want to spend $300 on one and find out there is something better out there.

GON WHLN 07-22-2010 09:00 AM

I think the owners of the programmer try to sell them after they load the program into their "VIN specific" vehicle. Maybe they THINK it will work in another vehicle....:crazyeyes:

Or they changed motors like a hemi convt or some other issue caused them to sell it.
:dontknow2:

just beware: If the original jeep the program was loaded into to is NOT returned to stock, the programmer won't work on your jeep. If you could do this, then everyone would be swapping the same programmer back and forth and superchips would make no money. :brows:

Pluke the 2 07-22-2010 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by qzing01 (Post 1776207)
I have been looking at getting a superchips programmer, and there are always a ton of used ones for sale. Is there something better? Is there something wrong with the programmer? I just dont want to spend $300 on one and find out there is something better out there.

Gains are minimal to price tag probably a reason why some are selling them.

qzing01 07-22-2010 10:17 AM

I appreciate the heads up on the locking to the vehicle. I have seen so many different opinions on these, that I wish I could just try one first.

NUTT00 07-22-2010 11:32 AM

I believe Superchips will unlock it for you for a fee. At least they would with the ones for the Dodge Ram.

Merlin4979 07-22-2010 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by NUTT00 (Post 1776490)
I believe Superchips will unlock it for you for a fee. At least they would with the ones for the Dodge Ram.

Supposedly it's $100 to unlock one that's set to a different VIN.

*Seth* 07-22-2010 11:59 AM

Why are so many selling their superchips programmers???

Originally Posted by NUTT00

They will unlock for a $100 fee.

Most sell because it is quick liquid cash in a pinch. Some don't find that the programmer meets their high expectations. For me, it met my expectations and then some. If you buy used, just make sure to ask the question if it was returned to stock.

dmhines 07-22-2010 12:18 PM

My guess is they don't meet the buyers expections and would rather spend the money on different mods ...

RevyJKU08 07-22-2010 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by *Seth* (Post 1776524)
They will unlock for a $100 fee.

Most sell because it is quick liquid cash in a pinch. Some don't find that the programmer meets their high expectations. For me, it met my expectations and then some. If you buy used, just make sure to ask the question if it was returned to stock.

Also, have them send the original Sales reciept...this will help should it still be locked in the ADVANCED tunes. I bought mine used and was locked based on the Advanced tune. The buyer called up Superchips faxed them the original reciept and got them to unlock mine for $29.00.

07rubisteve 07-22-2010 12:32 PM

Love mine......noticed the difference immediately in throttle response, more pep.....have mine on 91 oct tune......and being able to adjust speedo, gears, and tires size among other things is beautiful....

Why are people selling?:dontknow2:

I could never go back to stock setting now......

Like said before......if you buy used, ensure it is returned to stock settings.......I believe if you do the advance tune, it locks to the vin.....but I would confirm with Superchips....