Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Window Tinting Advice

Old 10-01-2012, 02:29 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window Tinting Advice

Hi all, getting my 2012 unlimited sport windows tinted soon and am not really an expert in the window tinting world. Just wondered if anyone had any do's and dont's. I appreciate any and all advice...
Old 10-01-2012, 03:08 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wait your getting them tinted? You should be fine then, 20% tint seems to be close to factory tint as you'll get. Plus your less likely get hassled by the police for having factory looking tint. After its tinted try not to touch the tinted windows or even roll them down for a few days just to let them cure and dry on to the glass. Don't clean your tinted window with just any glass cleaner, over time that will fade or discolor them. Buy tinted glass cleaner from an auto parts store or from any "mart" stores that has an automotive section. Good luck.
Augi
Old 10-01-2012, 04:15 PM
JK Newbie

Stay away from the Ammonia based cleaners. I use windshield washer fluid in a spray bottle, or plain old water on a towel. I have 20% tint, and i think that it matches well to the factory tint.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:19 PM
JK Newbie

one more piece of advice: put tape over your window switches so you don't accidently put the window down for the first few days.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:37 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the tips. Anything about the film color? The guy I spoke with has smoke grey, charcoal, platinum, etc... Some are metalized and some non-metalized. Since I can't really try them on, I was hoping someone had any idea of which looks best. I'm just trying to get as close to factory as possible.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

If they are professionals they should be able to match it to an almost match.

The guy that tinted my front two matched it almost perfect.

It will look a slight different due to the factory tint being in the glass versus the aftermarket sitting on top of the glass.

He also locked my windows and put a fluorescent sticker on my switches with a date that reminded me not to use them.

The brand and type of tint will make a difference in the color of the tint.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be carful when washing them. The first time you roll the down go slow and listen for crackles. The charcoal tint looks close to what is on the factory rears. Also the metal has to do with whether or not you can use it wit a defroster. The tinted should know. Also chances are it won't match perfectly. From the outside it should look the same. It might look a little different from the inside though. And depending on your laws and how much you like tint 20% might not he dark enough for you. My jeep has a layer of 5% topped of with a layer or 20% over that on the front, and two layers of 5% on the back. I own a tint shop.. I like black windows lol. These pics are with 1% all around. (a layer of 20 over 5) also chances are if you drive much with your windows down a small hole will develop on the lower back corners of your front windows. It is caused by a bolt or something hitting the tint when rolled all the way down. It's a jeep thing.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2736393401.jpg
Views:	975
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	373313   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2969995447.jpg
Views:	7392
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	373314  
Old 10-01-2012, 08:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

If your doing it your self when using the card thing to smooth out the soapy water make sure you put a cloth over it so the corners don't scratch the tint and don't do it in 3 degree weather like I did lol
Old 10-02-2012, 07:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jeep_creep
If your doing it your self when using the card thing to smooth out the soapy water make sure you put a cloth over it so the corners don't scratch the tint and don't do it in 3 degree weather like I did lol
Trick is to keep both sides of the tint wet
Old 10-07-2012, 04:39 PM
JK Newbie

So its like putting invisible shields on iPads or cellphones? keep both sides wet, and you should be fine... well then... seeing as I have done about a dozen iPads for friends and coworkers, I may give this a shot on my own.

Quick Reply: Window Tinting Advice