Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Winter rims+tires, downsizing question

Old 11-07-2013, 08:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter rims+tires, downsizing question

Good afternoon everyone! How I cant wait to be plowing through the snow in a opened roofed wrangler laughing all the way!

This actually is not a question about a JK but a Jeep Liberty KK that my mom drives lol Hoping the same rules apply or anyone here as input/advice!

Winter is approaching and I am trying to be a good son and get my mother winter tires & rims as a gift. She has a 2010 limited with the 18 inch rim option, this is where my frustration is coming in. Obviously winter tire to fit 18" rims is expensive. 18' winter rims cost just as much as the tires! I've been doing research and buying smaller winter rims seems logical/cost efficient. According to web the liberty can have 17" and 16" rims and be fine. However other sources *including my jeep dealership say, "we don't advice it as it will mess with the driving" They told me downsizing will effect the differential on the vehicle. I don't know if this is true or BS. I'm looking/wanting to get winter tires and rims for 17" as it costs half of what it would for 18". Is this bad or will it damage the vehicle???

Thanks in advance for any input!!!
Old 11-07-2013, 09:14 AM
JK Junkie

If the overall diameter is the same then there is no difference based on wheel size. If you put smaller (shorter) tires on it then it could cause the speedo to be off by a hair but nothing is going to cause damage.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk 4
Old 11-07-2013, 09:19 AM
JK Newbie

As long front and rear tires are the same size no problem I would think 16" would fit you only losing 1" of clearance between rim and brakes.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:35 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Steve...spend the $$ on JK mods lol

But yea go with a 16" rim. I am pretty sure the base Liberty came with 16" rims so you'll be able to clear your rotors and calipers. And as long as all 4 tires are the same size you shouldn't have a problem. If you are worried about what the dealer said you can still use a 16" rim but just get a tire that has a larger sidewall making (the wheel & tire) similar in size to the stock 18" + tire.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:18 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Sahara_Steve
Good afternoon everyone! How I cant wait to be plowing through the snow in a opened roofed wrangler laughing all the way!

This actually is not a question about a JK but a Jeep Liberty KK that my mom drives lol Hoping the same rules apply or anyone here as input/advice!

Winter is approaching and I am trying to be a good son and get my mother winter tires & rims as a gift. She has a 2010 limited with the 18 inch rim option, this is where my frustration is coming in. Obviously winter tire to fit 18" rims is expensive. 18' winter rims cost just as much as the tires! I've been doing research and buying smaller winter rims seems logical/cost efficient. According to web the liberty can have 17" and 16" rims and be fine. However other sources *including my jeep dealership say, "we don't advice it as it will mess with the driving" They told me downsizing will effect the differential on the vehicle. I don't know if this is true or BS. I'm looking/wanting to get winter tires and rims for 17" as it costs half of what it would for 18". Is this bad or will it damage the vehicle???

Thanks in advance for any input!!!
i don't under stand why the dealership would tell you not to down size when the liberty is sold with all three different size wheels. the wrangler is sold with 15", 17", and 18" and the same with liberty. Stay away from that dealership they are very misleading.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Skip the dealership. Talk to a qualified tire shop. What you're concerned with is the overall circumference of the wheel/tire combination. A smaller wheel and taller tire can be fit to match the overall circumference of the existing 18" wheel and highway tire that's on there. Driveability will be unchanged.

Compare the cost of finding a used set of smaller (16"?) Liberty wheels that someone has taken off their vehicle, to what a tire shop could sell you in a 16" steel wheel. If you can find a used set of stock Liberty wheels for $150, you'll probably save yourself a lot of money versus buying new wheels.

The only concern would be if the Liberty Limited comes with a larger brake package that necessitates a larger diameter (17" or 18" wheel) to fit over the brake calipers. I doubt it does, but it's something your tire shop could probably tell you to be sure.

I also wouldn't be quick to discount the tire that's on that 18" wheel. Is it a summer tire, or is it an all-season? If it's an all-season, it should get around pretty good so long as 4-wheel drive is engaged.
Old 11-09-2013, 07:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Awesome thank you everyone for your feedback! I assumed the dealer was incorrect or bs but when it's on a subject I don't know all that well it raised questions and doubts. I went around a few different tire places received the same information and went with the 17' rims. Same tire size 235/60R. Its sad when you realize that a Jeep dealership feeds you nonsense. Though a lot of tire places gave me a funny look when telling them I wanted snow tires on a 4x4. In the city though its not getting going I'm concerned about for her, but being able to stop.

HAHAHAHA Well Joe if I go modding my Jeep more it may make yours look bad next time we wheel hahahahaha

Quick Reply: Winter rims+tires, downsizing question