Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Wrangler getting Diesel 2011

Old 11-04-2009, 08:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wrangler getting Diesel 2011

The Chrysler Five Year Plan (November 2009)This page is being updated as new information is revealed.
Also see Fiat Cars and the Chrysler-Fiat Alliance
Chrysler's five year plan is being unveiled, with a limited-entry webcast on Chrysler LLC's corporate web site, constant updates at Automotive News, and frequent updates here at allpar.com. The plan will take around five hours to describe. The agenda: Dodge Brand, Quality, Product Development, Powertrain, RAM Trucks, Jeep, Manufacturing, Purchasing, Dealers, Canada, Mexico, International, Mopar, Chrysler Brand, Product Plan, Financial Plan Review, Summary, Q&A, Closing
KEY NOTES
Expansion of Chrysler engineering workforce
Chrysler to handle large displacement and hybrid engines for Fiat worldwide
Dual-clutch automatics to arrive, 4-speeds and (probably) Mercedes automatic to leave
Journey, Caravan, Avenger: new engine, new interiors, exterior refreshing
2014: all new Grand Caravan
New C-sedan, B-hatch, D-car, 7-passenger crossover
Repackaging around lifestyles rather than ... whatever they were using before
Possibly, new Viper for 2013/2014
Cummins diesels appear to be staying
Hemi to continue, 6.4 Hemi coming
Quality improvements will continue and extend to dealer service
Chrysler Engineering will be expanded from June 2009 to July 2010, with contract workers doubled, a 7% increase in direct employees, and a doubling of purchased engineering services.
Chrysler itself will be a global center of expertise for hybrid and large displacement engines. Fiat, which has partnered with Cummins in the past, will be a global center of excellence for diesels.
Engines. Fiat technologies, including smaller turbo engines, MultiAir, start/stop systems, and direct injection will be added rapidly. The World Engines (2.0 and 2.4 liters) will gain MultiAir and direct injection, as will the Pentastar V6. Fiat’s dual-clutch transmission will be used by Chrysler. Pentastar V6 will launch in the second quarter of 2010. A twin turbo version of the Pentastar V6 will be launched as will a single-turbo version. V8 efficiency will be increased. Start-stop (engine shutoff at idle) will be applied to the Jeep Wrangler diesel starting Q4 2010 — which indicates there will be a Wrangler diesel — and will be moved to other engines afterwards. A new 6.4 liter Hemi will join the 5.7 liter Hemi with around 450 hp. Chrysler estimates that V6 engines will drop from 54% to 37% of product mix by 2014 with four-cylinders going from 19% to 38% and diesel from 9% to 14% (V8 from 18% to 11%). Cummins diesels appear to be staying.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:38 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They already have a diesel Wrangler. Just not in the US. I wonder if this is a US diesel. Not that I care. More interested in the 2nd quarter turboed pentastar. but not really. turbo is not going to help at 2 mph on the rocks.

and the 6.4.... for the Challenger.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE put the 5.7 in the Wrangler.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:39 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope that means the US will be getting Diesels... since diesel is already available in the rest of the world.

EDIT: Saltman you beat me to it.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:39 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hate to burst your bubble but the wrangler currently has a diesel, just not for sale in this country. They are adding a fuel saving action to the diesel motor they are already have.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

A single or twin-turboed Pentastar would be cool, too, I agree.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by toymaster
Hate to burst your bubble but the wrangler currently has a diesel, just not for sale in this country. They are adding a fuel saving action to the diesel motor they are already have.

I know, I'm assuming/hoping with this "5 Year Plan", they'll be adding this across the entire board. They'd be stupid not to.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

[/QUOTE]
Old 11-04-2009, 08:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, that doesn't indicate anywhere that the US is getting a diesel JK.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:12 AM
JK Junkie

The minute the US JK gets a diesel, I'm trading it in for one.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by saltman
the 5.7 in the Wrangler.

Highly unlikely we'll ever see that or any V8 as a factory offering.

Quick Reply: Wrangler getting Diesel 2011