Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Wrangler Worst Valued Vehicle - Consumer Reports

Old 12-18-2014, 06:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wrangler Worst Valued Vehicle - Consumer Reports

Consumer Reports rated the Wrangler the worst valued vehicle in all categories. Saying it was hurt by low road test score and troublesome reliability.

I'm sure most on here would have a hard time disagreeing with the poor reliability, but I guess that's why 'It's a Jeep thing' makes sense to Jeepers and annoys the non Jeepers.

I still love/hate my Jeep but hopefully this gives Chrysler a kick to make my next Wrangler a better vehicle.

The video is on the Consumer Reports YouTube page. Here's a link. It's from my phone so not sure if will only work for the mobile YouTube page.

http://youtu.be/IMc1lF7clDI
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-20381562.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	588213  
Old 12-18-2014, 07:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CR is in the business of selling magazines, not cars. They have always been a poor judge of automobiles as many experts have attested to. The Wrangler still holds the #3 spot for vehicles that retain their value, and they have been relatively unchanged since 1941... I'll take a little advise from Car and Driver, Motor Trend, or Road and Track, but I don't know anyone stupid enough to make a vehicle purchase based on a magazine that also reviews can openers, toilets, and DVD players...
Old 12-18-2014, 07:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Greep
CR is in the business of selling magazines, not cars. They have always been a poor judge of automobiles as many experts have attested to. The Wrangler still holds the #3 spot for vehicles that retain their value, and they have been relatively unchanged since 1941... I'll take a little advise from Car and Driver, Motor Trend, or Road and Track, but I don't know anyone stupid enough to make a vehicle purchase based on a magazine that also reviews can openers, toilets, and DVD players...
Although I didn't disagree with what CR said about the Wrangler they did rate the Toyota Camry as the best value vehicle, which I'm sure is a fine car but I'd guess only appeals to those who well...read consumer Reports.
Old 12-18-2014, 07:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi, I'm Pete and I own 2 Jeeps. They are my 4th and 5th Jeep brand vehicles. I've been addicted since 1998.... This is Jeep therapy, right?
Old 12-18-2014, 07:31 PM
JK Super Freak

It scored low in:
1. Road performance and
2. Reliability

Well 1, I bought it to drive off of the road as much as I possibly can. 2, anything that has gone wrong has been able to be fixed by me rather than a dealer or shop. 90% satisfied. (I want a hemi option!)
Old 12-19-2014, 08:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bad1chad
Although I didn't disagree with what CR said about the Wrangler they did rate the Toyota Camry as the best value vehicle, which I'm sure is a fine car but I'd guess only appeals to those who well...read consumer Reports.
The Camry has been on CR's centerfold for like 25 years running. I just don't understand how people continue to jerk off over such an average car.

Maybe you nailed it. That car appeals to the type of person who reads CR. I also don't understand how people take that publication as gospel.
Old 12-19-2014, 09:57 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by jk_sea
... I also don't understand how people take that publication as gospel.
There are people for whom a car has no more emotional value than a vacuum cleaner. They either read and buy based on recommendations in CR, or they work for CR. The rest of us find emotional value in our vehicles that far exceeds that for our washing machines, blenders and toasters. We would do well to ignore CR (and all of the other magazines that thrive on quoting CR as the epitome of all things automobile).
Old 12-19-2014, 11:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
There are people for whom a car has no more emotional value than a vacuum cleaner. They either read and buy based on recommendations in CR, or they work for CR. The rest of us find emotional value in our vehicles that far exceeds that for our washing machines, blenders and toasters. We would do well to ignore CR (and all of the other magazines that thrive on quoting CR as the epitome of all things automobile).
My questions were more rhetorical than anything else. I get it, but I don't have to like it!
Old 12-19-2014, 12:40 PM
JK Freak

I'm not surprised. Wranglers don't get gas mileage, are very expensive and have high road noise and low ride comfort comparably.

Wranglers are a vehicle that is purchased for other reasons; love of the car, performance and coolness factor - like high performance cars are. It stands alone and is not a civic or corolla that are just a dime a dozen kind of car appealing to the masses. Don't get me wrong they are great cars but their customers care more about those qualities listed. Performance car customers care more about getting the vehicle they want and know the negatives are part of the game.

For me, my current wrangler is a dream car. I have fantasized about the finish product, the project and have spend countless hours researching and looking at pretty pictures of other wranglers. I used to do this with Ferraris and Lambos when I was a kid. I think that emotion is cool for something that is affordable - I'll never have enough money to own an F-40.
Old 12-19-2014, 02:31 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by spicoli
... It stands alone and is not a civic or corolla that are just a dime a dozen kind of car appealing to the masses. ...
A four wheel drive fan magazine should take a Civic and evaluate it exactly like CR does for their car tests. Except instead of interior ride noise, number of cupholders, etc., evaluate break over angle, articulation, ability to climb a steep grade, etc. Write it up exactly in the format, style even colors and fonts that CR uses. Show how ludicrous CR's test criteria are for the Wrangler.

Quick Reply: Wrangler Worst Valued Vehicle - Consumer Reports