Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Wrench penetrates mickey thompson tire.

Old 09-22-2014, 02:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wrench penetrates mickey thompson tire.

Alright, so I'm driving around 65-70, in the left lane of a main highway. All of a sudden I hear a hissing like air is coming from a tire, I check my pressure and my left rear tire shoots down to 17 PSI. I pull over and find a wrench in my tire. Obviously furious, I leave the hi lift jack mounted on my roll bars, and grab the stock jack like a fool, (Completely level ground, No lift). I take the flat tire off, I go to put my spare tire on and realize it needs to be raised a little higher, raise the jack. As I grab the spare, the stock jack gives out and bends. And my jeep slams to the floor with no wheel on it. So to everyone with a hi lift jack. Don't be lazy, unmount it and use it. I'm not sure if I'm gonna be able to plug this tire cause the hole is close to the side, and I'm really hoping nothing got messed up when the jack gave out.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3085372089.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	576798   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3739957552.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	576799   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1232199932.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	576800   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3570324137.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	576801  
Old 09-22-2014, 03:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

That sux. I hope everything is ok. Glade u where not under the jeep when it fell.
Old 09-22-2014, 04:19 PM
JK Newbie

Look at it this way . . . free wrench!

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 09-22-2014, 04:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Whitejk13
Alright, so I'm driving around 65-70, in the left lane of a main highway. All of a sudden I hear a hissing like air is coming from a tire, I check my pressure and my left rear tire shoots down to 17 PSI. I pull over and find a wrench in my tire. Obviously furious, I leave the hi lift jack mounted on my roll bars, and grab the stock jack like a fool, (Completely level ground, No lift). I take the flat tire off, I go to put my spare tire on and realize it needs to be raised a little higher, raise the jack. As I grab the spare, the stock jack gives out and bends. And my jeep slams to the floor with no wheel on it. So to everyone with a hi lift jack. Don't be lazy, unmount it and use it. I'm not sure if I'm gonna be able to plug this tire cause the hole is close to the side, and I'm really hoping nothing got messed up when the jack gave out.
Any pics of the jack? What exactly failed on it? I use mine all the time to rotate my tires without issues. Hi-lifts are actually much more dangerous to use for a tire change normally though...
Old 09-22-2014, 04:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sucks that that's a newer tire. It looks a little too close to the sidewall to patch.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'll take a picture of the jack tomorrow, the threaded part is bent. Anyone have a suggestion for a new jack? I have the hi lift but I can only use it in the rear under my tailgate hitch, but I have a stock bumper and no rock guards to lift up the front of the jeep
Old 09-23-2014, 11:12 AM
JK Freak

Location: Independence and Lexington, KY (depends on the time of year)

I've heard nothing but bad things from these jacks. My jack crank broke in half when I was putting a tire on a Durango for an old lady at my church. I ended up buying a bottle jack at harbor freight and installed my lift with it, along with doing multiple tire rotations. Hasn't failed me yet.
Old 09-23-2014, 12:50 PM
JK Freak

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Whitejk13
I'll take a picture of the jack tomorrow, the threaded part is bent. Anyone have a suggestion for a new jack? I have the hi lift but I can only use it in the rear under my tailgate hitch, but I have a stock bumper and no rock guards to lift up the front of the jeep
Sounds like you need sliders. I am assuming that you take your Jeep on trails and you got the hi-lift as a recovery tool? What if this happen on rocks or in a mud hole. Those factory jack or bottle jacks wouldn't help you there.

Move the hi-lift to the outside of the vehicle where it would be convenient. You probably didn't get the hi-lift first because it was because how inconvenient it is to remove.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've seen those scissor jacks bend a bunch (not jeeps but in general), only once where it it collapsed/fell over - luckily I only got a scratch from the fender. That said I still keep mine in the jeep just in case. I also have a hi lift on the hood - I never use that ever, on my jeep or previous wheeler. I have an 8 ton bottle jack that I use and keep scrap 2x4s, although the bottle jack is tall enough for 35s.

Bummer about your tire, but I'd chalk that jack failure up to chryslers fault as long as you don't have a ton of extra weight on the jeep - even so the jack shouldn't be at its limit for the stock weight. I would have grabbed that over the hi lift also, especially for a tire.

One good thing to do, idk if you already do, is to put the bad rim/tire under the frame rail as an extra precaution
Old 09-23-2014, 11:58 PM
JK Freak

Who drives around looking for wrenches to run over on the highway?!

Quick Reply: Wrench penetrates mickey thompson tire.