Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Young buck switching to a rubi.

Old 04-05-2016, 12:32 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Young buck switching to a rubi.

What's going on everyone, I'm going to apologize in advance as for my lack of knowledge and because this thread probably exists somewhere deep in the archives.. but anyways I currently have an Automatic 07 JKU Sahara with very minor mods (4in lift, 35's, exhaust, bumpers etc..) and I love it. But as I'm sure everyone does I spend a ton of time surfing build threads and craigslist. This led to me contemplating the possibility of getting my hands on a rubicon.

Backstory: I'm fairly young (21) compared to most people on here it seems and I never really thought I would be able to afford a rubicon but I'm about to end a 7 month deployment (cheers to extensions) and now have the means to get my hands on one.

ANYWAYS: I found a 6 speed 08 JKUR with some tasteful mods (Long arm, axle shafts, gears, 37's) on the local CL. It has 80k miles and the guy is asking a decent price for it. This will be jeep number 4 for me (2 TJ's and my JKU) but none of my previous jeeps have had lockers and I have always been jealous of my buddies who did. Any advice on what to look for or if it's even worth it? If I can get a decent price selling my current jeep I'll only be forking out 4-5k extra which seems way worth it in my opinion. Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-05-2016, 01:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like it has some goodies. having had a 2008 JKUX and a 2015 JKUR I would highly recommend getting 2012 or later model instead. the Rubi stuff is great as the transfer case also has lower gears. The extra horse power from the penstar is well worth the price hands down. first available in the 2012 models.
Old 04-07-2016, 10:59 AM
JK Newbie

2012 is quite a jump in price! ETS'ing soon and don't want to have a car payment.. hmmm
Old 04-07-2016, 11:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by realjeep
Sounds like it has some goodies. having had a 2008 JKUX and a 2015 JKUR I would highly recommend getting 2012 or later model instead. the Rubi stuff is great as the transfer case also has lower gears. The extra horse power from the penstar is well worth the price hands down. first available in the 2012 models.
^Exactly. I know it is more money, but it would be money well spent. I had an 09 Rubicon and even my 2013 Sahara was a beast when it came to power. The penstar difference is extremely noticeable. Now I have a 10a Rubicon with the 4.10's and lockers, never been more happy in a jeep.
Old 04-11-2016, 04:34 AM
JK Newbie

I do notice that my current Jeep is quite sluggish only on 35's. I'm going to have to weigh my options and see if I can make the investment. Thanks for the input fellas I was completely unaware of the power difference. Any other benefits with the 2012?
Old 04-11-2016, 12:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Power mirrors are nice. In my humble opinion the 2012 is what the 2007 should have been.

Quick Reply: Young buck switching to a rubi.