JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Trails & Tales (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-trails-tales-71/)
-   -   Arizona to Oregon offroad (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-trails-tales-71/arizona-oregon-offroad-189270/)

jeep2007 08-03-2011 06:44 AM

I know what you mean. Seems some of the D30 and D44 must have had flaws at that spot. If the new D30 you have doesn't have that flaw it would last a lifetime I am sure. (unless your GCM 2) :D

I am also doing axles/gearing now. Tough decisions.

By the way, thanks for your service!:thumbsup:

gt6star 08-03-2011 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by jeep2007 (Post 2444132)
I know what you mean. Seems some of the D30 and D44 must have had flaws at that spot. If the new D30 you have doesn't have that flaw it would last a lifetime I am sure. (unless your GCM 2) :D

After looking at the origianal axle, it looks like the machine that welded the lower control arm bracket may have burned the tube a little making it week there. Looking around on the forum I found an entire thread on axle that break in this exact spot. Gotta love Chinese steel....
I stuck with 33's to save some wear and tear on the drive train, plus theres nothing I've found that I can't cross with a little skill and time...and some good skid plates.
The issue I'm wrestling with now is, since the trip I've added an Or-Fab tire carrier and 2 gas cans, built a platform and rack in the back and added on board air. With all the extra gear I've bolted on the stock springs are sagging pretty bad even with the Teraflax budget boost. I'm looking at swapping the springs and spacers for the tera springs or OME springs.

gt6star 08-03-2011 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by jeep2007 (Post 2444132)

And thanks, Im so ready to retire and spend more time exploring America

arcoleman 08-03-2011 08:31 AM

That was one heck of a road trip! Sounds like you hada great time, evn with the breakdown... Thanks for sharing.

BadPunkin 08-03-2011 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by gt6star
With all the extra gear I've bolted on the stock springs are sagging pretty bad even with the Teraflax budget boost. I'm looking at swapping the springs and spacers for the tera springs or OME springs.

You may also want to consider AEV. They have progressive coils built to handle extra weight.

borracho 08-03-2011 11:30 AM

What an awesome story...inspirational. Thanks for sharing!!

gt6star 08-03-2011 01:50 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 189929
Here's a pic of the gear we were hauling with us.

vonhef 08-03-2011 02:39 PM

Thanks for sharing... was a great read. :)

DarkS1de 08-03-2011 05:50 PM

Great read and awesome adventure. Thanks for sharing. Oh, Congrats and goodluck to you and Nola!

JeepL!fe 08-08-2011 08:30 AM

sounds like an awesome trip. fixing what a duck broke with duct tape, priceless :rotflmao2: