Notices
JK Trails & Tales Just get back from a recent trail run and/or camping trip with your Jeep JK Wrangler? If so, you know we want to hear all about where you went, who all came along and of course, see all the pics you can post.

CO Route 317, Telluride to Crystal Mill

Old 06-07-2017, 10:02 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CO Route 317, Telluride to Crystal Mill - Schofield Pass

Has anyone run the trail/route from Crested Butte to Crystal Mill, aka Schofield Pass? I am looking for info for a trip I am planning in July, and most of what I have read is the pass is pretty tough. Any info would be appreciated!!
Thanks
JH

Last edited by Jhsmith; 06-08-2017 at 07:20 AM.
Old 06-08-2017, 10:13 AM
JK Super Freak

Default Schofiled Pass Crested Butte to Cyrstal, Marble CO.

Schofield pass is not a really technical trail but it is a very narrow trail in several areas.
A lot of Razors run this trail also. This can cause delays in the narrow section of the Devil’s Punch bowl.
I have done this trail several time both ways. I wouldn't say it easier eitherway.
If you are going from Crested Butte to Gothic to Crystal Mill you will be driving it downhill.

The sections that you need to be cautious around is in the area name the Devils Punch Bowl. There is a very narrow 1 mile section above the punch bowl. This area has a small area around the middle that allows for some passing room. This is by a big boulder in the middle of the trail. I would say that 2 Jeeps (maybe 3 MAX) could squeeze a side to let others pass. I would highly suggest having someone walk down to this point and help direct traffic. You will need radio’s. It would be even a better idea to have them go all the way down to just above the punch bowl. This way they can help control traffic on the narrow section. Stopping anyone coming up at the bridge is the best place to control traffic. The bridge area has a pull out which can fit several Jeeps, maybe 4-5 max.
Below the bridge there is another section maybe ¾-1 mile long that is also very narrow. You should have someone direct traffic at the corner on this. It should be obvious where to have people do this once you are there and walk that trail.
By the Devils Punch bowl there is an area that is base rock that can get slippery when wet. Other than that it shouldn’t cause issues if you are careful. This is the area that has had the vehicle’s slip over the edge into the stream, ie, the Devils Punch Bowl.
There are cliff jumpers and even kayakers that play in this area which can be fun to watch.
I have a couple video’s on you tube if you want to lookat them. Under JKJeepit.

Last edited by jedg; 06-09-2017 at 06:24 AM.
Old 06-22-2017, 11:27 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the info!! I will be running it by myself and my daughter, so not sure no being able to have someone head downtrail to help with traffic. Should I pass on this, and plan for another time then, with more people?
Old 06-22-2017, 11:41 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,818 Likes on 1,588 Posts

Did you throw some feelers out there in the Colorado staging area? Maybe a local or two would be willing to run it with you. It's dangerous going out anywhere alone....even on things that might seem easy. You never know the circumstance you'll run across.
Old 06-22-2017, 11:35 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by JK-jeepit
Schofield pass is not a really technical trail but it is a very narrow trail in several areas.
A lot of Razors run this trail also. This can cause delays in the narrow section of the Devil’s Punch bowl.
I have done this trail several time both ways. I wouldn't say it easier eitherway.
If you are going from Crested Butte to Gothic to Crystal Mill you will be driving it downhill.

The sections that you need to be cautious around is in the area name the Devils Punch Bowl. There is a very narrow 1 mile section above the punch bowl. This area has a small area around the middle that allows for some passing room. This is by a big boulder in the middle of the trail. I would say that 2 Jeeps (maybe 3 MAX) could squeeze a side to let others pass. I would highly suggest having someone walk down to this point and help direct traffic. You will need radio’s. It would be even a better idea to have them go all the way down to just above the punch bowl. This way they can help control traffic on the narrow section. Stopping anyone coming up at the bridge is the best place to control traffic. The bridge area has a pull out which can fit several Jeeps, maybe 4-5 max.
Below the bridge there is another section maybe ¾-1 mile long that is also very narrow. You should have someone direct traffic at the corner on this. It should be obvious where to have people do this once you are there and walk that trail.
By the Devils Punch bowl there is an area that is base rock that can get slippery when wet. Other than that it shouldn’t cause issues if you are careful. This is the area that has had the vehicle’s slip over the edge into the stream, ie, the Devils Punch Bowl.
There are cliff jumpers and even kayakers that play in this area which can be fun to watch.
I have a couple video’s on you tube if you want to lookat them. Under JKJeepit.
Thanks for that info. I have some friends who will be running it in a week or two pulling trailers, so the detail on numbers of vehicles should prove useful to them. Oh, and they're experienced overlanders. Only people to have ever pulled trailers up Blanca Peak ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFjr3hSzEu4&t=511s
Old 06-23-2017, 03:42 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Wow! Always great videos and that's crazy!
Old 06-23-2017, 04:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Jhsmith
Thanks for the info!! I will be running it by myself and my daughter, so not sure no being able to have someone head downtrail to help with traffic. Should I pass on this, and plan for another time then, with more people?
Going alone is a hard one. I have done a lot of trails in Colorado alone. There are a lot of others in the summer doing this so it's not like you're alone in some ways. I would how ever say that I wouldn't do this trail with out some kind of spotter on these two areas, unless you like backing up for a ways.

if you want a even pretty trail do Pearl Pass from Crested Butte to Aspen..
You could also probably find a group to jump in with in Crested Butte.

make sure the trails are open with as much snow that Colorado got this year they may take awhile to open.
Here's a good link for status.
Bushducks - Jeep Trail and Backroads Trip Reports<br>Colorado Jeep Trails and Passes - Opening Dates
Old 06-23-2017, 04:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Thanks for that info. I have some friends who will be running it in a week or two pulling trailers, so the detail on numbers of vehicles should prove useful to them. Oh, and they're experienced overlanders. Only people to have ever pulled trailers up Blanca Peak ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFjr3hSzEu4&t=511s
trailers on some of the narrow trails in Colorado would be very interesting.
I've seen that video you posted also.
Blanco peak is still on my list to do...
Old 06-24-2017, 03:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

It's not a hard trail. Just narrow in a couple areas. Well worth it. If going "downhill" just have someone spot you near the edge in the narrow areas.
Old 08-30-2017, 06:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Jhsmith- did you do Schofield? We were there last week and went a ways back in it from the Crested Butte side, but we had learned from the previous day on Pearl that you shouldn't be alone on these trails, so we turned around when the trail got really narrow (it's actually narrow from the start). Plus I already have enough brush stripes on the side of my Jeep and it was really brushy. A few years ago we also took my old stock TJ on it from Marble (I think it was Marble) but we didn't make it far from that side either.

Last edited by MikeOK; 08-30-2017 at 06:45 AM.

Quick Reply: CO Route 317, Telluride to Crystal Mill