Notices
JK Trails & Tales Just get back from a recent trail run and/or camping trip with your Jeep JK Wrangler? If so, you know we want to hear all about where you went, who all came along and of course, see all the pics you can post.

Hammerdown Tips, Tricks, Advice for JKU?

Old 12-23-2012, 12:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hammerdown Tips, Tricks, Advice for JKU?

So! I just got a JK (finally), and now I'm realizing that I intend to keep this thing looking new; rather than the carnage mess my YJ became. I've wheeled out in CB numerous times with the YJ, but never was built enough to do any Hammer trails. My questions are as follows, I'm hoping someone who has down these trails in a 4 door can sooth my nerves.

First of all, is my rig capable? 4" Long Arm with 35s, 4:56s, and stock sliders.

Secondly, how much danger is the hardtop in? I'll be driving it out from Az so this is a real concern.

Finally, can Hammerdown be escaped with no body carnage if I'm running the stock sliders?

I guess I'm just nervous as can be about denting up the new Jeep... Mostly cause I want to keep it nice, and secondly cause the wife may very well mutilate me if I dent it up before Rubicon this summer (think I get a pass up there).

I've never wheeled anything this wide and long. A CJ5 in school, then my YJ I have now; also never ran with lockers. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I don't have a bottomless bank account so keeping this thing tip top is a priority. I guess I'm mostly trying to figure out if I should commit to Hammerdown or just watch and do Cakewalk afterwards.

Thanks!
Old 12-24-2012, 11:29 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are ok with trail rash when you go to the Rubicon, then what the hell does it matter if you do it now???? Haha
Old 12-24-2012, 12:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kh202
If you are ok with trail rash when you go to the Rubicon, then what the hell does it matter if you do it now???? Haha
Wouldn't matter too much to me, but the wifey seems to think that I need to keep this Jeep in better shape than I did the YJ. Plus we already plan to have insurance fix any trail damage from Rubicon; though I'm hoping to escape it safely.

Quick Reply: Hammerdown Tips, Tricks, Advice for JKU?