Notices
JK Trails & Tales Just get back from a recent trail run and/or camping trip with your Jeep JK Wrangler? If so, you know we want to hear all about where you went, who all came along and of course, see all the pics you can post.

How to deflower an '08 Rubicon the correct way

Old 07-10-2008, 01:38 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking How to deflower an '08 Rubicon the correct way

June 27th-29th 2008
Salmon La Sac near Roslyn, WA
Van Epps trail #301

Just 2 weeks after purchasing a 2008 Jeep Rubicon, a few friends and I took her camping. While I’ll spare all the drunken details of what went on in the campsite, I thought I’d share a few pictures from our two trips up the trails. These pictures are from 3 different cameras and none are my own (I was driving)!

On Friday, a group of us headed up to the camp site early while everyone else was to meet up after work. We drove from Seattle, over Snoqualmie Pass to a place called Roslyn. Some of you may remember the TV show “Northern Exposure.” That was filmed in Roslyn (well the opening anyway).

Once through Roslyn we kept heading out deeper into the Cascades. Along Lake Cle Elum (which was unusually high for the time of year) and on to the end of the pavement and the beginning of FS Road 4330. We arrived at our campsite, set up camp and then got bored.

What could we do? Hmm, let’s pull the Jeep apart!

Now she looks like a real Jeep. Welp, time to pile in and do some exploring. We drove down the road and found a little spur heading off to the right and turned onto it. It didn’t go very far but gave me a chance to do a bit of rock crawling. My Rubi had about 600 miles on the odometer at this point.

What a bunch of posers. The Rubi was actually rocking on two wheels. We had an impromptu see-saw party. No, that does not make us gay.

Ooh, what a flexy bitch! Not bad for stock, eh?

After coming down the little spur, I decided to take the boys up the FS road past where we were going to wheel the next day. I found another spur to the right and took it. It led down to a sweet creekbed with a really nice campsite I’ll have to remember. We messed around to take some pictures when I caught my rear fender on a stump.

Oops.

At least we got a good picture from it, right?

Wait, that picture sucks!

Anyway, we snapped the fender back on in about 10 seconds and were on our way.

We drove way up to the end (after skirting a sketchy spot where a slide had sluffed half the track off the side of the mountain) and took a quick bio-break.

This mountain is nothing compared to what else is around there.

We headed back down a little to a spur I’d seen on the way up. Unfortunately, there was still a bit of snow on the road. No problem for a Rubi, right?

Believe it or not, we’re stuck. The snow was that shitty slushy wet crap that makes you feel like you’re driving through a slurpee. The Rubi got high centered and none of the tires could get purchase on anything. Well, let’s just dig ‘er out. What do you mean we left the shovel back at camp?!

Come on guys, push harder! We’re still not moving!

After some ingenious use of the scissor jack, a few rocks, and some nearby deadfall, we managed to free my girl from her snowy prison and back down. But that wasn’t to be the end of that! One more run through and the snow relented and let us pass. (My friend has video but I don’t have access to it at the moment).

We continued up a bit but decided we needed food and beer and headed back to camp.

The rest of the group showed up later that evening and *insert camping hijinks here*

The next day, we piled in my Rubi and my friend’s Tacoma for a day of trail taming.

I’d run the trail the week before but had to turn around due to the amount of snow still present. Luckily, it had been a warm week and most of it was gone. Most.

We headed up the trail (which was an old mining access road and had since disintegrated into a creek bed), through a few creek fordings, over some rocks and through the woods. Sadly, grandma’s house was not on the itinerary.

We got up to about 5500 feet with no issues until

Aw crap, more snow.

I threw the Rubi into 4-Lo and 3rd gear, switched on both lockers and… buried her. In the process, I slid off the trail a bit and was attacked by a tree.

Damn Cascade Mountain Vicious Pines!

This posed a bit of a problem. I was high centered (again), the winch was behind me, a tree was blocking my path, and we had no snatch block (to change the angle of the winch cable). Good thing we had the shovel.

Must be a government job site.

Once again, we dug her out but were thwarted in our attempt to conquer the mountain. Up around the next bend, the trail completely disappeared under a field of snow.

Good thing there was another trail we’d passed just a bit below. Let’s go!

We crawled up a creek for a bit and then back onto dry trail only to hit even more snow. Luckily, there was a way around this patch.

This might get hairy…

Woohoo! Made it! Now it’s time for a celebratory snowball fight!

Can you spot the Toyota in this picture?

There it is!

We drove about 100 feet from where I was parked and ran into, you guessed it! More snow! This is really getting old.

I knew it was going to be too deep so I decided to dig out before we got stuck again.

This looks like some sort of vintage advertisement. Welcome to flavor country!

Finally, we get to the top of Van Epps Pass and stop to take in the gorgeous scenery.

Lake Ann is nestled in that snow laden valley somewhere.

Don’t you wish your boyfriend was hot like me?

Spirit Lake located at the base of

Mt. Iforgotwhatit’scalled

Time to head back to camp.

Justin coming down the hairy spot from earlier.

Coming down was uneventful. Except getting the video of my “ghostridin’ mah whip.” 4-Lo is awesome in 1st gear. Who needs a gas pedal?

Coming down a dried creek bed.

Can I get a Big Mac and large fries with that shake?

Sadly, we left our camera man on the trail to die alone in the woods.

All told, the only casualties were

On the Rubi:
Temporarily removed fender
Dent in rear bumper
Pinstriping courtesy of mother nature

On the Tacoma:
A nice crease along the bottom of the door jamb from using it as a rock slider

In retrospect, I should have aired down a bit. Although, I don't think anything short of a rubber raft or cat-treads could have helped with floatation on that snow.

And one final, parting shot:

Last edited by 0|||||||0; 07-10-2008 at 02:16 PM. Reason: removed off trail pics-- please see tread lightly policy
Old 07-10-2008, 01:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

wow, awesome pictures, and way to break the rubi in.

oh and i love the name "Mt. Iforgotwhatit’scalled"... i'm going to use that next time one of my buddy's ask which mountain we're on and i can't remember.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:02 PM
JK Jedi

Some very nice pics and good stories to go with them! A few have been edited, however. Please take a moment to familiarize yourself with the board's "Tread Lightly" policy:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-trails-tales-71/because-land-made-you-me-24313/

Thanks!
Old 07-10-2008, 02:10 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by doojer
Some very nice pics and good stories to go with them! A few have been edited, however. Please take a moment to familiarize yourself with the board's "Tread Lightly" policy:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24313

Thanks!
Uh, no problem. But all of those pics were on trail. Even the rock perching ones. In my 15 years of taking vehicles off road, I've never torn wrecklessly through the woods. I don't mind editing the text accordingly. But whatever.

Last edited by 0|||||||0; 07-10-2008 at 02:14 PM.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:13 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by 0|||||||0
Uh, no problem. But all of those pics were on trail. Even the rock perching ones. In my 15 years of taking vehicles off road, I've never torn wrecklessly through the woods. But whatever. I don't mind editing the text accordingly.
Thanks for understanding and for wheeling responsibly. I was simply going off what you had written in your original post:

Originally Posted by 0|||||||0
There’s no trail here
Old 07-10-2008, 02:18 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by doojer
Thanks for understanding and for wheeling responsibly. I was simply going off what you had written in your original post:
Ahh, gotcha. Yes, there was no trail there - from where the jeep was parked to where we hiked up and were standing. I see the confusion. No worries!
Old 07-10-2008, 05:30 PM
JK Junkie

i love story time!
Old 07-11-2008, 04:34 AM
JK Jedi

Nice pics!!
Old 07-11-2008, 11:30 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

great story