Notices
JK Trails & Tales Just get back from a recent trail run and/or camping trip with your Jeep JK Wrangler? If so, you know we want to hear all about where you went, who all came along and of course, see all the pics you can post.

How tough is Imogene Pass?

Old 11-22-2012, 09:14 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How tough is Imogene Pass?

I am in the process of planning my vacation to Telluride this coming summer and am really looking forward to taking my '12 JKU on some trails in the surrounding area...especially Imogene Pass. But I have read conflicting reports on how t
Old 11-22-2012, 09:29 PM
JK Newbie

(Sorry--my iPhone freaked out and sent that prematurely). So anyways, I've read conflicting reports about how tough it really is. Nothing I've seen on YouTube looks too technical...maybe some intimidating shelf roads but that's about it. I'm a great driver, but don't want to get in over my head! Here in Illinois, we go muddin'...and that's a lot different than technical rock climbing and such! What I'm worried about primarily is that I don't want to try a trail that is so severe that I'll damage my Jeep. So, can someone who has done Imogene Pass give me an honest assessment of the trail and tell me what to expect?
Old 11-22-2012, 10:23 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by tggentry
(Sorry--my iPhone freaked out and sent that prematurely). So anyways, I've read conflicting reports about how tough it really is. Nothing I've seen on YouTube looks too technical...maybe some intimidating shelf roads but that's about it. I'm a great driver, but don't want to get in over my head! Here in Illinois, we go muddin'...and that's a lot different than technical rock climbing and such! What I'm worried about primarily is that I don't want to try a trail that is so severe that I'll damage my Jeep. So, can someone who has done Imogene Pass give me an honest assessment of the trail and tell me what to expect?
youll be fine I saw a guy with in a f-350 pulling one of those offroad popups over imogene. it s narrow in spots but nothing major. you wouldnt have a problem
Old 11-23-2012, 05:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Imogene was our first CO pass when we took our 2007 Sahara (completely stock) back in 2007. A few narrow ledges but that was the worst part to me. Nothing technical. We have been back the last five years in a row on vacation to Telluride. Imogene is one of our favorite trails.

Just take your time, enjoy the scenery, and you will be fine.

Here is my wife with our Rubi on Imogene.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0334.jpg
Views:	1537
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	391452  
Old 11-23-2012, 06:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've done Imogene numerous times over the years and have seen many stock Jeeps on it - you will be fine just take your time. Have fun it's a beautiful area.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:43 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I took Black Bear over to Telluride and then took Imogene back to Ouray. The trip over Imogene was in a heavy rain. There was nothing difficult about Imogene. I would put it in the beginner class. You see all kinds of rentals up on the top, and you know none of them have any experience.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:19 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the input, I feel a lot better now! Is Black Bear and Ophir Pass about the same Imogene as well?
Old 11-23-2012, 11:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by tggentry
Thanks for the input, I feel a lot better now! Is Black Bear and Ophir Pass about the same Imogene as well?
So Black Bear Pass is more mentually hard to technically hard. Take caution at the very start of the step area and you will be fine...
Ophir pass can be done without 4 wheel drive..
I agree with Imogene Pass, it's not hard. Make sure you go up Yankee Boy Basin.... it's another beautiful area...

here is the first of 4 video's that will take you from Ophir pass up and over Black Bear Pass.
they should play back to back or just goto the movie list and play the one your interested in.
Black Bear is one of the prettiest passes I have done so far.
Black Bear Pass Part 1 with Ophir Pass - YouTube
Old 11-23-2012, 12:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

I thought The Steps on Black Bear were a little rough this year. Go slow, don't get in a hurry and you will be fine.
Old 11-23-2012, 02:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Imogene is a beautiful trail and well worth the time. Last year I was at the top and a stock TJ with 4 college girls pulled up next to me. It was a borrowed Jeep. Stuffed animals fell out when they opened the tailgate. True story. They had zero experience but were having the time of their lives. The road is wide enough all the way if you meet a vehicle coming from the opposite end. We go every year.

Quick Reply: How tough is Imogene Pass?