Notices
JK Trails & Tales Just get back from a recent trail run and/or camping trip with your Jeep JK Wrangler? If so, you know we want to hear all about where you went, who all came along and of course, see all the pics you can post.

How tough is Imogene Pass?

Old 11-25-2012, 01:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Imogene Pass is not that technically difficult. I ran it both ways in September.

I ran all the trails in the area semi alone including Pokepsee (SP) Gulch backwards until I got the the obstacle where I did feel like I had a good line down so I turned around. Other than that all the trails were run in low range and I never needed lockers.

The shelf roads and off camber stuff is where the pucker factor comes from.

However, although I said I ran the trails alone there are so many jeeps out there that you are never truly alone. I had to dip into my trail supplies to help some other guys out.

There are so many trails to run it will be a fun week.

Also get the book that was posted.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by goldtr8
Imogene Pass is not that technically difficult. I ran it both ways in September.

I ran all the trails in the area semi alone including Pokepsee (SP) Gulch backwards until I got the the obstacle where I did feel like I had a good line down so I turned around. Other than that all the trails were run in low range and I never needed lockers.

The shelf roads and off camber stuff is where the pucker factor comes from.

However, although I said I ran the trails alone there are so many jeeps out there that you are never truly alone. I had to dip into my trail supplies to help some other guys out.

There are so many trails to run it will be a fun week.

Also get the book that was posted.
We tried Poughkeepsie for the first time this year. We for to the wall and it started raining and then snowing. No one was around so we turned around and decided to wait until another day!
Old 11-25-2012, 04:20 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by tggentry
I am in the process of planning my vacation to Telluride this coming summer and am really looking forward to taking my '12 JKU on some trails in the surrounding area...especially Imogene Pass. But I have read conflicting reports on how t

I was planning the same trip this year to Colorado but the wildfires prevented me from going. So just drop me a line with the dates when youre planning to go and I might just meet you up there
Old 11-26-2012, 09:10 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by tggentry
......... So, can someone who has done Imogene Pass give me an honest assessment of the trail and tell me what to expect?
It will be a trip you will never forget.

You did not mention what time of year you are planning your visit. That can determine alot about the condition of the trails here. The 2012 season, Imogene pass opened early-mid June. 2011 season it did not open until after July 4th weekend. The snow pack on the Ouray side of the pass does not get alot of sun, so heavy snows delay clearing the trail. The trail stays open until the fall snow comes and the trails are only plowed once/year to open them, (unless maintenence is required). Imogene is a beautiful trail with a lot of history on both sides of the pass. You do need to be alert and careful.

There are 3 main things that get people into trouble/hurt or killed here: A) Not respecting the weather B) Complacency C) Inattention....then comes inexperience. The last couple who died on Black Bear were experienced Jeepers. I helped another experienced Jeeper recover his Jeep that rolled off the trail, (Engineer). The only thing that saved him and his buddy's lives, (400' drop) were 3 aspen trees that stopped him after 1-1/2 rolls, (took 2 Jeeps with HD winches). Both Jeepers had very well modified Jeeps and alot of experience. The 3 that died on Imogene were in a modified Jeep and the driver was somewhat experienced. But his mistake took him, his wife and their young son off the trail on a 1350' roll to their deaths. I won't go into details but it was a traumatic event, (closed the trail for 3-1/2 days for investigation & clean up). Experience and or heavily modified rigs do not trump good judgement.

I'm not trying to scare you or anyone else reading this thread. But I do want to emphasize that a mistake on the shelf roads can cost you your life. Every year, there are of serious accidents/injuries that you never hear about in the news. Local economies depend on tourism traffic.

A stock Jeep will do very well on the trails here, (lots of sharp rocks....so 3 ply - H.D. sidewalls are recommended). Imogene is a beautiful trail that is not too difficult. Most of the Jeep rental companies send their customers over Imogene to Telluride and back via Ophir or Last Dollar Road. Because of that, Imogene has a LOT of vehicle traffic, (July & August). It is a little more challenging to leave from the Ouray side. Uphill traffic has the right of way, but not all know or follow that up here. Let common sense prevail.

If you leave out to do Imogene, make sure you pack warm clothes, (layers) plenty of water, snacks/lunch, a good camera with extra memory cards and a full tank of gasoline. If you come here in July to mid-August, leave out early in the morning. You will avoid the bulk of the traffic, see more wild life and have a better chance of avoiding the afternoon storms. If you see heavy clouds building or hear thunder, you need to start heading down hill. If the road gets washed out....stay put....do not try to cross a mud slide. Help will be on the way, usually a 1-5 hour wait. The weather caution advice applies to all off road trails up here. If you plan to stop and take pictures, explore the mine ruins, scenery and deal with traffic, plan on the trip from Telluride to Ouray, (or vice-versa) to take between 3-1/2 to 5 hours.

The trail guide book mentioned in previous threads is informative and helpful. Read up about dehydration and altitude sickness so you can take steps to prevent them and help insure a pleasant trip. Contact the Ouray and Telluride chambers and request visitor packs mailed to you, (free). Please stay on the trails, even when taking poser shots.

All the above are recommendations from lessons I've learned while living here....so you can take them under advisement or ignore them.....it's your choice.

Last edited by Ranger492; 11-27-2012 at 06:05 PM. Reason: corrected most of the spelling errors.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ranger492

It will be a trip you will never forget.

You did not mention what time of year you are planning your visit. That can determine alot about the condition of the trails here. The 2012 season, Imogene pass opened early-mid June. 2011 season it did not open until after July 4th weekend. The snow pack on the Ouray side of the pass does not get alot of sun, so heavy snows delay clearing the trail. The trail stays open until the fall snow comes and the trails are only plowed once/year to open them, (unless maintenence is required). Imogene is a beautiful trail with a lot of history on both sides of the pass. You do need to be alert and careful.

There are 3 main things that get people into trouble/hurt or killed here: A) Not respecting the weather B) Complacency C) Inattention....then comes inexperience. The last couple who died on Black Bear were experienced Jeepers. I helped another experienced Jeeper recover his Jeep that rolled off the trail, (Engineer). The only thing that saved him and his buddy's lives, (400' drop) were 3 aspen trees that stopped him after 1-1/2 rolls, (took 2 Jeeps with HD winches). Both Jeepers had very well modified Jeeps and alot of experience. The 3 that died on Imogene were in a modified Jeep and the driver was somewhat experienced. But his mistake took him, his wife and their young son off the trail on a 1350' roll to their deaths. I won't go into details but it was a traumatic event, (closed the trail for 3-1/2 days for investigation & clean up). Experience and or heavily modified rigs do not trump good judgement.

I'm not trying to scare you or anyone else reading this thread. But I do want to emphasize that a mistake on the shelf roads can cost you your life. Every year, there are of serious accidents/injuries that you never hear about in the news. Local economies depend on tourism traffic.

A stock Jeep will do very well on the trails here, (lots of sharp rocks....so 3 ply - H.D. sidewalls are recommended). Imogene is a beautiful trail that is not too difficult. Most of the Jeep rental companies send their customers over Imogene to Telluride and back via Ophir or Last Dollar Road. Because of that, Imogene has a LOT of vehicle traffic, (July & August). It is a little more challenging to leave from the Ouray side. Uphill traffic has the right of way, but not all know or follow that up here. Let common sense prevail.

If you leave out to do Imogene, make sure you pack warm clothes, (layers) plenty of water, snacks/lunch, a good camera with extra memory cards and a full tank of gasoline. If you come here in July to mid-August, leave out early in the morning. You will avoid the bulk of the traffic, see more wild life and have a better chance of avoiding the afternoon storms. If you see heavy clouds building or hear thunder, you need to start heading down hill. If the road gets washed out....stay put....do not try to cross a mud slide. Help will be on the way, usually a 1-5 hour wait. The weather caution advice applies to all off road trails up here. If you plan to stop and take pictures, explore the mine ruins, scenery and deal with the traffic, plan on the trip from Imogene to Ouray take between 3-1/2 to 5 hours.

The trail guide books mentioned in previous threads are informative and helpful. Read up about dehydration and altitude sickness so you can take steps to prevent them and help insure a pleasant trip. Contact the Ouray and Telluride chambers and request visitor packs mailed to you, (free). Please stay on the trails, even when taking poser shots.

All the above are recommendations from lessons I've learned while living here....so you can take them under advisement or ignore them.....it's your choice.
Excellent advice
Old 11-27-2012, 04:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Here is a link to some videos on You Tube where you can get an idea of the terrain.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ColoradoJeepGuy
Old 11-30-2012, 12:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RoysRig
I've seen a couple of these. They just don't compare to TrailDamage.com
I use both the Wells books and traildamage
Both excellent resources. No MAJOR disagreement between them. Wells may be a bit less conservative. Traildamage won't lull you into taking a trail that's over your head.
My favorite feature of traildamage is that they have a listing of all trails that's sorted by how scenic. Many of the most beautiful are easy trails so you can bug your eyes out at the scenery without needing a built Rubicon to get there.
You can get the Wells books from amazon.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:18 PM
JK Newbie

How is weather in that area in Sept-Oct to run those trails?
Old 12-05-2012, 01:19 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vwphibs
How is weather in that area in Sept-Oct to run those trails?

I would suggest September (earlier the better) over October. Snow starts (normally) to stick around 3ISH week of September.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Drop me a note when u go we are gonna try and do aug this year but will know more in a few weeks.

Quick Reply: How tough is Imogene Pass?