Notices
JK Trails & Tales Just get back from a recent trail run and/or camping trip with your Jeep JK Wrangler? If so, you know we want to hear all about where you went, who all came along and of course, see all the pics you can post.

Imogene Pass and Ophir Pass Colorado Questions

Old 10-07-2015, 09:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Imogene Pass and Ophir Pass Colorado Questions

I'm planning on going on a trip next week from Dallas TX to Silverton/Ouray. I wanted to run the imogene trail and the ophir pass trail but haven't figured out which direction would be the safest. Will be going w/ a new set of 33" KO2's and a small spacer lift (for rake) but otherwise stock.

Has anyone run these trails recently and can let me know conditions or anything I should watchout for?

Thanks in advance,
Cheers!
Old 10-07-2015, 09:47 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

I ran them the end of july and I ran Ophir both ways and no difference it could be run in a ford focus. It is that easy. Imogene would be easy either way as well, we ran it from Tellurde side and the toughest part was finding it lol. There is a short section where you meet vehicles coming down and it is very narrow. you can run 2 or 3 trails in a day. well with the shorter days probably 2 to be safe. I found the area incredibly scenic but none of the trails I did were hard. I did Ophir, Engineer, corkscrew/hurricane, Cinnamon, Imogene, Black Bear and Pough Keepsie.

I had read many horror stories about Black Bear pass but it is just a dirt road, I read that they improved it this year so maybe that is why. I have a 4 door and not sure why it was not nearly as bad as the videos I have seen. I shot my own video so judge for yourself.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGaJQSvn2sE My younger brother had never been offroading before and just bought a new 2 door wrangler. he was running 33's and a 2.5" lift. Again he had never been jeeping before and he had not trouble at all. He was nervous when we were approaching the wall at Pough Keepsie but he did not slip a tire going up. I am a decent spotter tho so that helped.

You will love it is very beautiful. I would recommend getting Charles Wells' guide to Colorado backroads and 4-wheel-drive trials. And again if you are going be there for more than a day do more trails than just two.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jadmt
I ran them the end of july and I ran Ophir both ways and no difference it could be run in a ford focus. It is that easy. Imogene would be easy either way as well, we ran it from Tellurde side and the toughest part was finding it lol. There is a short section where you meet vehicles coming down and it is very narrow. you can run 2 or 3 trails in a day. well with the shorter days probably 2 to be safe. I found the area incredibly scenic but none of the trails I did were hard. I did Ophir, Engineer, corkscrew/hurricane, Cinnamon, Imogene, Black Bear and Pough Keepsie.

I had read many horror stories about Black Bear pass but it is just a dirt road, I read that they improved it this year so maybe that is why. I have a 4 door and not sure why it was not nearly as bad as the videos I have seen. I shot my own video so judge for yourself.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGaJQSvn2sE My younger brother had never been offroading before and just bought a new 2 door wrangler. he was running 33's and a 2.5" lift. Again he had never been jeeping before and he had not trouble at all. He was nervous when we were approaching the wall at Pough Keepsie but he did not slip a tire going up. I am a decent spotter tho so that helped.

You will love it is very beautiful. I would recommend getting Charles Wells' guide to Colorado backroads and 4-wheel-drive trials. And again if you are going be there for more than a day do more trails than just two.
This is really great information!! I was thinking to avoid the black bear pass but it might be a nice trail. I am not new to off-roading but i mostly go alone or with my wife so I tend to becareful. I don't speed, slam into water, or rock crawl (not that kind of rig yet) so with some common sense i think black bear wouldn't be a problem.

I really appreciate the info and i'll make sure to checkout the video!

The road closures on 550 might be an extra incentive to use the black bear pass.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:41 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

I wouldn't recommend Engineer Pass in a Ford Focus if driving from Ouray (Mineral Creek). But a Jeep will be fine. ;-)
Old 10-07-2015, 10:54 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
I wouldn't recommend Engineer Pass in a Ford Focus if driving from Ouray (Mineral Creek). But a Jeep will be fine. ;-)
I was referring to Ophir pass lol. I did not actually see a ford focus on it but I saw a new Subaru on Imogene pass and was not smart enough to get a photo. I met them at the top they were coming the opposite way and I came from Telluride side, they did not stop so I could talk to them so not sure how they were faring.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:58 AM
JK Jedi

also the locals might have better info on snow which could make a difference. But if no snow you will not have any troubles as long as you use common sense. My younger brother is 54yoa and definitely did not want to put a ding in his new jeep. He did not get so much as a brush scratch.
Old 10-07-2015, 01:01 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by jadmt
also the locals might have better info on snow which could make a difference. But if no snow you will not have any troubles as long as you use common sense. My younger brother is 54yoa and definitely did not want to put a ding in his new jeep. He did not get so much as a brush scratch.
This is a good resource to check ...

http://www.bushducks.com/tripreps/passopen.htm
Old 10-07-2015, 05:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

We took a new JKU there with no experience. You will be fine. Take your time and enjoy. Look forward to going back one day.

Sent from my iPad using JK-Forum
Old 10-08-2015, 07:54 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Run Imogene from Ouray to Telluride, then go south out of town and then back to Ouray via Ophir, which will support two-way traffic.
Old 10-11-2015, 11:23 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
This is a good resource to check ... http://www.bushducks.com/tripreps/passopen.htm
That's an awesome resource to have! Thanks for sharing, Mark.

Sent via Jeep wave from my NSA-approved domestic-espionage device.

Quick Reply: Imogene Pass and Ophir Pass Colorado Questions