Notices
JK Trails & Tales Just get back from a recent trail run and/or camping trip with your Jeep JK Wrangler? If so, you know we want to hear all about where you went, who all came along and of course, see all the pics you can post.

Minimum Recommend Mods to run the Rubicon??

Old 12-14-2012, 06:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ran it this summer and it was GREAT.

The longer wheel base jeeps (JKU's) had a harder time with some of the tight spots but they made it with more scrapes & scratches.

The 33's are a OK 35's strongly suggested. 3-4 inch lift suggested (I ran it with 35's and a 2.5 lift with no issues)

A winch is always nice, but as long as at least a few of you in your group have one you are OK.

Make sure when you are running the trail that you have the Jeeps with the Winch in between the ones with out. We had one point that a HUGE JKU broke down (sheared off his steering box) and the jeep behind him had a small winch. It worked out OK but a 9.5K winch would have helped.

I was amazed how few of the Jeeps had even basic recovery gear (1 or 2 straps, snatch block, 2-3 large D-rings & some chain)

Rest assured you WILL HAVE DAMAGE after running the Rubicon. Your pretty wheels will have rash, your bumpers will have scrapes, your fender flairs will have rubs and your undercarriage will have gouges!!

What I found funny is some of the MONSTER RIG's seemed to be having some of the bigger break downs. I think it is because they feel invincible so they drive that way. Keep in mind, if you break something your buddies are going to have to stop and help you and take time away from their trip. If you are driving like a mad man, how are you going to feel? Also keep in mind you are a long way from spare parts!!

Have fun.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:36 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JKBobAZ
Rest assured you WILL HAVE DAMAGE after running the Rubicon. Your pretty wheels will have rash, your bumpers will have scrapes, your fender flairs will have rubs and your undercarriage will have gouges!!
Running the moderate trails near Big Bear Lake checked most of the boxes above for me already with my current set-up. I know the stock wheels are not deep enough to prevent scratches from rocks. I'm hoping to have a steel front bumper prior to this trip so I'm not worried about that one. Fenders can get knocked off for all I care since I'm looking for an excuse to get flat fenders. Undercarriage is probably my biggest fear. That's where the disabling stuff is. Evap skid will be high on my list also. Actually, I might look into having a larger skid made that covers the muffler under my cab along with the evap. I just happen to know a guy locally that likes to do this kind of stuff.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:07 PM
JK Forum Regional Rep

Check out Rubicon Trail Foundation,look under vehicles preparation.Prepare yourself by getting out and test your skills pushing them each time
Old 12-14-2012, 04:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AMen
Sam
It seems like it was just last week when we were running Holy Jim. You give me hope to run the rubicon.

I thought it took a lot more

AMen
Art, you could do make it no problem but might want to add some better sliders.
If you drive smart you won't damage anything.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BigRedJK

Every jeep should have front and rear recovery points, but besides that, are you saying they're specifically required for the Rubicon because people get stuck a lot?
No I was just saying that for anytime offroad but didn't want to leave it out.

Quick Reply: Minimum Recommend Mods to run the Rubicon??