Notices
JK Trails & Tales Just get back from a recent trail run and/or camping trip with your Jeep JK Wrangler? If so, you know we want to hear all about where you went, who all came along and of course, see all the pics you can post.

Moab Help/Advice/Opinions Please.....

Old 07-26-2018, 02:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts

I should have posted this info before but I forgot. If you are planning on seeing Delicate Arch up close, it's a hike from the parking lot. About 3 miles round trip. If you do it at night it will obviously be much cooler but the trail won't be as easy to follow. Bring headlamps, flashlights, etc... Also bring a couple of hydration packs. Even though it's cooler, it's still very dry and the hike will dehydrate you. It is definitely worth it though if you're going to get night photos with the milky way behind it. https://www.nps.gov/arch/planyourvis...icate-arch.htm

Most of the other named monuments are close enough to parking that you can get to them easily. Balanced Rock, Double Arch, etc...

These three pics I took about two years ago and are an example of what you can get. The Delicate Arch photos the full moon was out and kind of washed out the stars. The Balanced Rock the moon had gone down and the milky way was easily seen with the naked eyes.

The Persieds meteor shower will be on August 13 but you may or may not be able to catch the very beginning of it on the 10th if you're still there. No guarantees of that though.

Enjoy your trip, be safe and have fun!
Old 07-26-2018, 06:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
You pretty much have cell phone coverage on the trails. Most are very close to the town. It may drop in some of the deep canyons but overall I did not have an issue with coverage with AT&T. You may also want to check out Arches National park since it is right there. Running trails at Moab is nice since the town is right in the center of everything. Much different then running the Rubicon and so much bigger.
I have AT&T and a friend had Verizon. Neither of us had coverage on Cliff Hanger and on most of Moab Rim. Just an FYI.

As far as Arches, if you have the time, do it. It's gorgeous. They also have a 2 mile hike around the firey furnace if you're into that. There also is a "4x4" only road that goes deep into the middle of the park. Most of it is a gravel road, but there is a section that has some rocks where a Jeep would be able to get through. But again, we had ZERO cell coverage, we were alone, and no one knew where we were, so we decided to stay off the rocky bits.
Old 07-26-2018, 06:43 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,585 Posts

Thanks! Chiapeteater, those pictures are great. So if we went in at night, as you're suggesting is possible due to the camp ground, there are no park rangers that would run me off? I'd like to go see the arches, but 100* summer day doesn't sound as appealing as night excursion. I think just seeing them at night would be a neat experience anyhow as it's different than how most get to see them.

I need to start looking at the NP there a bit closer....get a lay of that land. Appreciate the suggestions.
Old 07-26-2018, 07:30 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by resharp001
if we went in at night, as you're suggesting is possible due to the camp ground, there are no park rangers that would run me off?\
Nevermind, I see on the NP website it is open/accessible 24hrs a day. Boom, nighttime visit on the docket without having to feel like a renegade.
Old 07-26-2018, 01:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by resharp001
Nevermind, I see on the NP website it is open/accessible 24hrs a day. Boom, nighttime visit on the docket without having to feel like a renegade.
Nice!! last time I was there they were saying it was closed at night. But my girl and I were able to get in anyways because the gates were open 24/7 for the campground folks. Like @shutterbug said, it's a beautiful park and at night it is sooooooooo much cooler and almost nobody is there.
Old 07-26-2018, 04:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by chiapeteater
Nice!! last time I was there they were saying it was closed at night. But my girl and I were able to get in anyways because the gates were open 24/7 for the campground folks. Like @shutterbug said, it's a beautiful park and at night it is sooooooooo much cooler and almost nobody is there.
We went early in the morning when there weren't many people wanting to get in. When we left, the lines to get in were nuts.

I think it was like $20 a vehicle.
Old 07-26-2018, 05:03 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by ShutterBug
We went early in the morning when there weren't many people wanting to get in. When we left, the lines to get in were nuts.

I think it was like $20 a vehicle.
They've raised that rate even....up to $30 now....to help fund road improvements and such. I've seen some pictures of long lines, and when they have a webcam set up so you can monitor what the lines look like....that's bad news. LOL. I'll definitely enjoy going at night for a little more peace and quiet!
Old 07-26-2018, 05:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

I always get an annual park pass. I think it is 80 bucks this year but it gets you into every national park that charges an entrance fee. I always feel I get my moneys worth out of it since I usually get to hit about 10 parks a year since I travel so much for work. (just wish I could drive my Jeep dammit!) And even if I don't the money stays in the park system so I don't really mind it. I feel our parks are worth it.
Old 07-26-2018, 05:25 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

I've been working hard to prep for this trip. With my spare tire in back, I can't access my normal storage trunk where I typically keep all my tools. In order to make use of awkward space, I build a quick cubby for things. in about a 1' wide space across the back I am able to carry: 2 gallons of water, 1 gallon of coolant, 5 qts of oil, 2 bottles of gear fluid, 1 qt ATF4, brake fluid, brake cleaner, tree saver, jumper cables, socket set and combo wrenches, scan tool, air hose, 2' breaker bar, torque wrench, 2' 1/2" extension....and I just need a bag of random tools that will sit right in front. Dang that is a lot of stuff in a small space!

Old 08-21-2018, 05:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

So how'd your trip go?

My girlfriend and I are planning on going there towards the end of October. Her b-day is Oct. 21 and we are going to spend it in Rocky Mountain National Park and then head over to Moab the following day and be there about a week. First time taking the Jeep there and we are both pretty excited about it. Driving all the way from east of Cleveland Oh, and trying to make Estes Park in two ten hour days. Shouldn't be too hard to do as I've done it a few times in my work truck before.

Quick Reply: Moab Help/Advice/Opinions Please.....