Notices
JK Trails & Tales Just get back from a recent trail run and/or camping trip with your Jeep JK Wrangler? If so, you know we want to hear all about where you went, who all came along and of course, see all the pics you can post.

My Great American Summer Road Trip Adventure

Old 05-30-2018, 10:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's been a few since I've had the chance to post here. 10 days and counting until I get to leave. I have a pretty good handle on things. Yesterday I started to check the torque on all my control arms, shocks etc... I need to grease it and rotate the tires and I'll be good to go. If I can fit it in I'll give the paint a good once over but I'm in Charlotte right now waiting for my flight. Last week I was out of the country so all this travel is weighing me down. I need to get to the good travel not the work travel!!

The other thing I keep thinking of is if I am making the right call on my choice of vehicle for this trip. My wife has a newer Ford Edge with about 15,000 miles on it and we are taking the Jeep with 100,000 miles on it. I hope nothing goes like a clutch or EGR valve or something else, that would suck.

No going back though, I've spent too much time/money on the Jeep to leave it in Michigan. I'll leave it up to the Jeep now, I have faith she'll get me through.
Old 05-30-2018, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Nah... I think it'll be much for fun with the Jeep.
Old 06-03-2018, 06:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well this trip is approaching rapidly, only 6 days away!!. I've spent a lot of time this weekend putting the final touches on the Jeep. I went through and checked the torque on the suspension bolts and hit the under body with a little paint to make it look better. I also rotated the tires and double checked the diff fluid in the front and rear axle that I changed a few weeks ago. I even added my own version of on board air and a shovel, mostly for looks, I hope I don't have to use it!! I've had that little compressor for a bit now and it actually works really well, my only issue is that it gets really hot after airing up the tires and I don't want to throw it in the bag or the back of the jeep with all the other items. My solution, mount it to the bumper and then I can just air up and drive away.

I think I am going to go out now and clean up the outside a little maybe add some wax.

Old 06-03-2018, 10:34 AM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

Mark Dorian mentioned Death Valley earlier, and I'd highly recommend it too. Been going there for decades, it never gets old. Your kids are at a perfect age for road-trip adventures, enjoy!

Old 06-04-2018, 02:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

My saga before the saga (trip).

Headed out for work this morning about a mile down the road and there it was. No turn signals, lights stuck on and no windshield wipers. Tried resetting the computer by unhooking the battery and that didn't fix it. For a few minutes my trip was in peril but the turn signal switch did the trick and I am back up and running. I got it from autozone because it was in stock, whew!!

5 days until the road trip begins!!
Old 06-05-2018, 05:55 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Geez... that'll give ya a bit of a scare... hahahaha
Old 06-05-2018, 02:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by bman
My saga before the saga (trip).

Headed out for work this morning about a mile down the road and there it was. No turn signals, lights stuck on and no windshield wipers. Tried resetting the computer by unhooking the battery and that didn't fix it. For a few minutes my trip was in peril but the turn signal switch did the trick and I am back up and running. I got it from autozone because it was in stock, whew!!

5 days until the road trip begins!!
How hard is it to replace a turn signal stalk? Mine doesn't like to stay on. I think the piece that causes resistance and holds it on is worn out on mine.
Old 06-05-2018, 07:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dmwil
How hard is it to replace a turn signal stalk? Mine doesn't like to stay on. I think the piece that causes resistance and holds it on is worn out on mine.
It only takes a few minutes. It's 3 torx screws on the steering column and 1 screw that holds the stalk in with two electrical connections. It was super easy to do.
Old 06-05-2018, 07:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Going to Reno, thinking about doing Rubicon?
Old 06-06-2018, 06:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by bman
It only takes a few minutes. It's 3 torx screws on the steering column and 1 screw that holds the stalk in with two electrical connections. It was super easy to do.
Thanks! I'll order a new one and replace it!

Quick Reply: My Great American Summer Road Trip Adventure