Notices
JK Trails & Tales Just get back from a recent trail run and/or camping trip with your Jeep JK Wrangler? If so, you know we want to hear all about where you went, who all came along and of course, see all the pics you can post.

A not so awesome/ awesome start to the weekend

Old 09-01-2017, 06:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default A not so awesome/ awesome start to the weekend

So I packed up the Wrangler with all the goods and the wife and kids and headed out to the west side of Michigan. We got about 30 minutes from our destination and I pulled off the highway to give the kids a break and fuel up. From there because of an accident on the highway I decided to drive around it taking some surface streets. It was then I began to notice the Jeep was pulling hard to the left when I applied the brakes. I pulled over and checked the wheels and sure enough the passenger front wheel was really hot. I found the nearest auto parts store and parked there.

I told the wife and kids to go get something to eat and drink and I went to work. Whenever I go on a trip with the Jeep I pack my tools, good thing, I used most of them today!! I used the high lift jack to get the front passenger side off the ground, it worked great with the recess in the Warn front bumper. I pulled the tire and took a quick look. I wasn't going to try and diagnose the issue to a tee so I picked up a new caliper and threw it on. Luckily I had all the requisite tools, even the torque wrench and the loctite so that worked out well.

It was an experience to say the least and in a strange way I kinda enjoyed it. Just thought I would share.

Brandon
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo301.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	976.7 KB
ID:	674594   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo305.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	674595  
The following users liked this post:
sirui liao (08-05-2019)
Old 09-02-2017, 02:40 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Preparation is key! Glad you had the tools you heeded. Was it a locked up caliper?
Old 09-02-2017, 04:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the piston was stuck in a semi closed position. I was able to hit the caliper to loosen it up to get it off the rotor. When I removed it the guide pins were moving freely so my guess is the piston just locked up.

The guy behind the counter didn't have much of a personality. It was funny when he told me there would be a core charge, I told him give me a minute. I walked back in with a smelly hot caliper that had some brake fluid leaking from it and threw it on the counter, I got a raised eyebrow with that!

Quick Reply: A not so awesome/ awesome start to the weekend