Notices
JK Trails & Tales Just get back from a recent trail run and/or camping trip with your Jeep JK Wrangler? If so, you know we want to hear all about where you went, who all came along and of course, see all the pics you can post.

Rubicon trail from Tahoe side and back out in 3 days possible?

Old 08-04-2015, 06:21 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts
Default Rubicon trail from Tahoe side and back out in 3 days possible?

Is it feasible to enter on the Tahoe side run the trail and then come back the same way in 3 days ie camp 2 nights? Plan on hitting the trail on Aug 24 and was wondering how doable that plan is while still having time to enjoy the trip. 3 jeeps will be traveling together. Seems like it would be nice to see it both ways and time is limited. thanks
Old 08-04-2015, 07:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jadmt
Is it feasible to enter on the Tahoe side run the trail and then come back the same way in 3 days ie camp 2 nights? Plan on hitting the trail on Aug 24 and was wondering how doable that plan is while still having time to enjoy the trip. 3 jeeps will be traveling together. Seems like it would be nice to see it both ways and time is limited. thanks
Possible yes, enjoyable maybe? Thats a lot of driving. I suggest driving the rubicon, then running Barrett Lake. It just opened after a long closure.
Old 08-04-2015, 10:36 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Albino Lizard
Possible yes, enjoyable maybe? Thats a lot of driving. I suggest driving the rubicon, then running Barrett Lake. It just opened after a long closure.
thanks unfortunately it all comes down to a time thing. We want to enjoy the trail and want to see it both ways but want to be realistic too. What is a reasonable distance that can be traveled in a day? We are pretty hearty but my wife can get cranky after 10 hours or so.
Old 08-04-2015, 10:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

thanks unfortunately it all comes down to a time thing. We want to enjoy the trail and want to see it both ways but want to be realistic too. What is a reasonable distance that can be traveled in a day? We are pretty hearty but my wife can get cranky after 10 hours or so.
If everything goes well, you can go pavement to pavement in about 10 hours.
Old 08-04-2015, 11:03 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Albino Lizard
If everything goes well, you can go pavement to pavement in about 10 hours.
good info thanks. Seems like it could be doable then. We did Hells revenge and Kane Creek in a day and it was snowing for a lot of it..
Old 08-04-2015, 11:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

good info thanks. Seems like it could be doable then. We did Hells revenge and Kane Creek in a day and it was snowing for a lot of it..
I suggest driving around the little sluice. It will cut some time and there is plenty of rocks to be had all over the trail.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:16 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Problem is people broken down on the trail can really stall you. We got held up nearly two hours on Cadillac Hill because a guy in the group ahead of us broke an axle and didnt have a replacement so they had to winch him to a spot we could get by. It can be done one way in one very long day just be prepared to cope if there are delays.
Old 08-06-2015, 07:20 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Another part of the equation

I assume you all have 35" tires, at least a 3" lift, at least 4.10 gearing, front & rear lockers, full skids and winches. I know that some will follow me here and say that what is mentioned above is not all necessary but I will disagree based on the fact that you will be making a two way "speed run" which will involve making some risky decisions as the clock ticks down. I highly recommend that you hire a trail guide or see if a local member of this board will accompany you on the trail. While it is just a blue line on your GPS screen, the reality is covered with rocks of all sizes, steep drop-offs, 4' ledges to climb and other vehicles stalled on the trail that you are going to have to deal with. In my book 44 miles on the Rubicon Trail in three days is too much of a risk. I recommend that you go to the west end of the trail and run east 22 miles to Tahoe, a very doable run in three days. BTW, I ran the Rubicon in 2000 and 2001 in my TJ. Expect body damage. I forgot to place ROCK RAILS on the list of necessary equipment you should have installed to run the Rubicon. The stock rock rails installed on a JKU Rubicon won't do the job. Install the kind that has the secondary rail, actually a steel tube, that stands out 4 to 6 inches from the side of side of the body. It is going to get scraped up big time, depend on it !

Last edited by Desert Fox; 08-06-2015 at 12:22 PM. Reason: add rock rails
Old 08-06-2015, 07:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

^^I agree with minimums. Body damage is likely without adequate armor. I also believe it is a lot to take all 44 miles in 3 days and the best most desireable route is starting at loon. It is possible, but the trail can be unforgiving.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:04 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Was just thinking rain could really slow you down too. I agree with the others that you would be better off going one way. I think it would be way more enjoyable.

Quick Reply: Rubicon trail from Tahoe side and back out in 3 days possible?