Notices
JK Trails & Tales Just get back from a recent trail run and/or camping trip with your Jeep JK Wrangler? If so, you know we want to hear all about where you went, who all came along and of course, see all the pics you can post.

Trails in Taos, NM?

Old 06-22-2013, 05:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trails in Taos, NM?

We've left the flatlands of North Texas the past two summers for two weeks in Ouray, CO. Thw wife's family said they wanted to meet us there this summer, but now they're all wanting to go to Taos instead... :-/
Are there any decent trails in Taos? I know it can't compete with Ouray, but I'm hoping there's something to make taking he Jeep worth while...
Old 06-23-2013, 05:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Nothing? Come on NM Jeepers... Give me some hope!
Old 06-23-2013, 06:02 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Greenie Peak Trail is just North of Red River, NM (which is approximately 34 miles North, and then East of Taos), in the Carson National Forest. The trailhead is located on the north end of Mallette Road (FR 54), where it turns into dirt. Ranging in elevation from approximately 8,500 feet to over 11,500 feet, the trail traverses the northern portion of the Sangre de Cristo Mountain Range, and ends up at Greenie Peak. Looking south from the peak, you can very clearly see the ski runs of Red River Ski Area. The trail consists mostly of rock/gravel roads. The rocks are all small (less than 6 inches in diameter), but it keeps you moving slowly nonetheless. The trail is just under 6 miles long (one way) and it takes approximately 2 hours or so to reach the peak, which is an excellent place to have lunch and let the kids/pets run around on the large, flat mesa.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:03 AM
JK Newbie

The Goose Lake Trail is just South of Red River, NM (which is approximately 34 miles North, and then East of Taos), in the Carson National Forest. The trailhead is located on the southeast edge of the town of Red River, off of SR 578, at FT 66. Ranging in elevation from approximately 8,500 feet to over 11,500 feet, the trail traverses the northern portion of the Sangre de Cristo Mountain Range, past Black Mountain, and ends up at Goose Lake. If you’re in good enough physical condition to hike up the steep foot trail on the opposite side of the Lake, there’s an outstanding view of Wheeler Peak, the highest peak in New Mexico (13,161 feet). The trail consists mostly of rock/gravel roads. The rocks are all small (less than 6 inches in diameter), but it keeps you moving slowly nonetheless. The trail is just under 7 miles long (one way) and it takes approximately 2 hours or so to reach the lake, which is an excellent place to have lunch and to hide out from civilization.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:08 AM
JK Newbie

Enchanted Circle Scenic Drive:

An 85-mile mountain loop circling the highest peak in New Mexico. The Sangre de Cristo Mountains are New Mexico’s highest, with summits reaching 13,000 feet and more. The range is part of the Rocky Mountains that extend south from Colorado into New Mexico. In Colorado, the Sangre de Cristo Mountains become even higher, with several 14,000-foot peaks. This drive makes a loop around New Mexico’s highest summit, 13,161-foot Wheeler Peak, by crossing two high mountain passes. The route passes lush forests, rushing streams, and cold mountain lakes, along with historic mining towns and a modern ski area. Special attractions: Historic Taos, Taos Pueblo, ghost town of Elizabethtown, Eagle Nest Lake, 13,000-foot peaks, Carson National Forest, Red River Ski Area, camping, hiking, cross- country skiing, fishing, scenic views, fall color.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:09 AM
JK Newbie

That's all that I am aware of in that area. Hope it helps.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

That definitely helps! The thought of taking the Jeep on a road trip and not having trails was depressing me... Thanks!
Old 06-23-2013, 07:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a turn off about 2/3 of the way up goose lake to an old abandoned mine, pretty cool. One or two bypasses on good lake to make it more fun; otherwise, a Subaru can do goose lake or greenie peak. Trail maps for greenie peak are not current and one road is totally closed. TONS of deadfall aspen across the road making it impassable.

If the river is up, crossing the steam can be fun.

I HIGHLY recommend goose lake and make sure you hike up to the ridge on the other side of the lake. The view is incredible !!! You can actually back pack from here over in to Taos. Spend two nigjt's on the trail is all it takes.

Sent from some string and a few tin cans.
Old 06-27-2020, 12:56 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Coming to Taos for a few days in the beginning of Sept and hauling our 77 CJ5 with us. Is anyone interested in spending the day showing off some area trails? Gentle wheeling and I prefer not go explore alone.
Thanks in advance.
Old 04-15-2023, 02:51 PM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

My son is taking me to NM the first week of May. We will camp out and would like to stay on backroads as much as possible. Other than our first night at Chaco Canyon do you recommend some "must do" trails. We will be in a 2013 JKU, 2.5" lift on 35s. Front and rear lockers. We have some experience with terrain but will be midly conservative as we need to drive home as well. we enjoy ghost towns and do photography. Many thanks for your reply.

Quick Reply: Trails in Taos, NM?