Notices
JK Trails & Tales Just get back from a recent trail run and/or camping trip with your Jeep JK Wrangler? If so, you know we want to hear all about where you went, who all came along and of course, see all the pics you can post.

Is there a trail that goes from Teluride to Ouray?

Old 03-03-2017, 11:32 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After living through Black Bear your fear of heights will have completely disappeared. Lot shorter route to go back via Imogene to Ouray than Ophir.
Old 03-03-2017, 05:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by resharp001
When I went up there, I made 1 page (front and back) trail maps for each pass using info from taildamage.com. Laminated each page for nice quick reference trail info. If you care, I've made the document on my Google drive shareable via this link - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing
Printed all 35 pages! Awesome! Not sure I'll laminate them, but will bind them and use them this summer for sure. Going back for our second trip to Ouray!

Sent from my iPad using JK-Forum
Old 03-18-2017, 06:53 AM
JK Newbie

Climbing up Ophir Pass from the Telluride / Ophir side, while not technical, can be difficult if at all wet. It's exposed, very high and mostly loose rock.

An alternate road to consider from Telluride is Last Dollar which is super scenic and fun to drive without the exposed cliffs. This route finishes at the top of Dallas divide about 20 minutes from Ridgeway. From there you're just 15 minutes back into Ouray. Last Dollar does have some soft muddy sections so do consider recent rain/ snow. If really wet it can be a mess.

Have fun!

Climbing Ophir Pass
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2844878157.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	618.2 KB
ID:	668593  

Last edited by SanJuanJK; 03-18-2017 at 06:57 AM.
Old 03-18-2017, 07:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SanJuanJK
Climbing up Ophir Pass from the Telluride / Ophir side, while not technical, can be difficult if at all wet. It's exposed, very high and mostly loose rock.

An alternate road to consider from Telluride is Last Dollar which is super scenic and fun to drive without the exposed cliffs. This route finishes at the top of Dallas divide about 20 minutes from Ridgeway. From there you're just 15 minutes back into Ouray. Last Dollar does have some soft muddy sections so do consider recent rain/ snow. If really wet it can be a mess.

Have fun!

Climbing Ophir Pass
Thanks. Would you recommend Ophir over Imogene then?
Old 03-18-2017, 07:40 AM
JK Newbie

I like Imogene. Lots of old mining ruins, creeks to cross and great variation as you start in town Telluride and climb well above the tree line before descending back towards Ouray. I walk it as much as I drive it and always enjoy it.

Imogene is 17 miles long and depending on how many stops you make can take hours to complete. Many people do the loop you described - Black Bear down and Imogene back. If you've had enough for one day with Black Bear, (you mentioned a severe fear of heights) Last Dollar can be a nice "easy" way back as well. Really depends on what you feel like doing.

I live right here so happy to help if I can...
Old 03-18-2017, 08:23 AM
JK Super Freak

If you have severe fear of heights and they are anything like what my wifes fear was 7 years ago you might want to work into during black bear pass. It is very narrow, meaning the width of your jeep will barely fit in spots and of course like all the shelf trails there is no place for error.
if you are going to be there for multiple days and are jeeping for several of those days I would do Ophir pass over to Telluride then Imogene back to Ouray. Then on a second trip do Black Bear pass, once your fears are settled some, and do Last dollar road back to Ouray.. like the other person said that is a beautiful trail.
While your in the Ouray area make sure you drive up to Yankee Boy Basin.

I have a 4 video series made from Ophir pass to Black Bear into Telluride if you haven't seen enough videos of it already.
https://youtu.be/wA19ixPGozc

either way you select to trail run have fun it's a Beautiful area.

Last edited by JK-jeepit; 03-18-2017 at 08:27 AM.
Old 03-19-2017, 12:45 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeOK
... I have a sever fear of heights ...
Why in the world are you going to Colorado then? If you truly are fearful of heights, then there are many other wonderful places around this nation to go off-roading. Don't let Jeep owners enthrall with Colorado (or Moab for that matter) keep you from discovering all of those other wonderful places. Have you considered the Gila National Forest in New Mexico? I just finished up my second trip there, and in three days traveling nearly 200 miles we saw ZERO other people--unlike in Colorado (or Moab) where the trails will be slammed with people. It's a beautiful, mountainous region with routes across the Continental Divide, amazing history (we drove up the same route that Billy the Kid used during his escape from the Silver City jail, and traversed a region that Geronimo used to elude the U.S. Calvary). Honestly, if you're just going to Colorado because that's what Jeepers do, despite your fear of heights, there are much better options out there. Personally, I find Colorado over populated, over commercialized and over hyped.
Old 03-19-2017, 02:40 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Why in the world are you going to Colorado then? If you truly are fearful of heights, then there are many other wonderful places around this nation to go off-roading. Don't let Jeep owners enthrall with Colorado (or Moab for that matter) keep you from discovering all of those other wonderful places. Have you considered the Gila National Forest in New Mexico? I just finished up my second trip there, and in three days traveling nearly 200 miles we saw ZERO other people--unlike in Colorado (or Moab) where the trails will be slammed with people. It's a beautiful, mountainous region with routes across the Continental Divide, amazing history (we drove up the same route that Billy the Kid used during his escape from the Silver City jail, and traversed a region that Geronimo used to elude the U.S. Calvary). Honestly, if you're just going to Colorado because that's what Jeepers do, despite your fear of heights, there are much better options out there. Personally, I find Colorado over populated, over commercialized and over hyped.
I agree with Mark to a point. I've been to Colorado several times but have always done so when the number of folks present are at a low. I also camp so I don't have to deal with the towns much.

On the topic of heights, he's spot on. If you've a fear of heights, then you're not going to enjoy much.
Old 03-19-2017, 10:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Oh I'll enjoy it. Part of the fun is being scared. We took my old TJ up there a few years ago and had a blast! We were planning on doing black bear then but got to the one way sign and chickened out. It has haunted me ever since. We WILL do it this time. Starting august 19 we will stay 3 nights in Crested Butte, one trail planned is Pearl Pass. Then 4 nights in Ouray, after the first easy day of Yankee Boy Basin. The second day will be Black Bear with a trip back on Imogene. Maybe on the third day Ophir Pass and Last Dollar. I'll have to spend one day in there somewhere looking at doilies in town to keep the wife happy but that's okay.
Old 04-04-2017, 07:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What dates are you planning on rolling out there. We are headed that way too. Also from OK

Quick Reply: Is there a trail that goes from Teluride to Ouray?