Notices
JK Wheels and Tires For all questions and answers concerning Wheels and Tires for Jeep JKs.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

12.50 wide tire on a 7" rim need some serious opinions!!!

Old 09-13-2008, 05:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TEEJ
LOL, no, it doesn't, as the tread is fully in contact with the ground.

It CAN round the bottom of the tread contour if too high a psi is used, but that can happen on a wide rime too, etc...but a narrower rim is more sensitive to it.

In short, its a perfectly reasonable solution.
The outside lugs look lighter than the main tread pattern. Looks to me like the center is riding more firmly on the ground, but it could be a photographic illusion.

According to BFG, the measured section width decreases by approximately .2" for every 0.5" rim width under the specified size. BFG A/T 33x12.5x15 measures 12.4" on a 10" wheel. Therefore there is about an inch less section width with a 7.5" wheel under best conditions. Over-inflate a little and it would be worse.

Just observing. Not making a judgment on how good it is.
Old 09-14-2008, 02:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had some 7 inch rims with 12.5 tyres and it was a rough ride and tyre wandered all over the road. When I fitted the 8 inch rims to the same tyres it made huge difference smooth ride and tyres stopped wondering. In Australia is illegal to fit 12.5 wide tyre to a 7 inch rims plus you would have no insurance if you had an accident.
Old 09-14-2008, 04:35 AM
JK Newbie

Nothing wrong with the 7 inch rims. You certainly shouldn't worry about tire wear since they'll be bald in 5k anyway
Old 09-14-2008, 04:49 AM
ksk
JK Enthusiast

People have been running 35's and 33's on stock rims for ages on this forum..its perfectly fine, in fact its better than having steelies. The stock alloys are cool imo..i lke em..

KSK
Old 09-14-2008, 09:24 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by TEEJ
LOL, no, it doesn't, as the tread is fully in contact with the ground.

It CAN round the bottom of the tread contour if too high a psi is used, but that can happen on a wide rime too, etc...but a narrower rim is more sensitive to it.

In short, its a perfectly reasonable solution.
i forgot to mention that the tire had about 50k miles and almost 4 years old

and the mazda b-4000 (or ford ranger) tend to wear the tire inside very fast
the front got serious camber when you load the truck

and a like to take the corner a bit fast , that dosen't hlep too
Old 09-15-2008, 03:23 AM
ksk
JK Enthusiast

Default installed today

Just a cpl of things for those with a similar setup..., you do need spacers on the stock rims coz they rub on the trackbar at full turn with the discos disconnected....Also, there are a cpl rubber stops on the tailgate to keep the spare more secure...these need to be trimmed by 1 cm so the 33 can fit on the tailgate...heres a quick pic i took on my phone...doesnt do them justice really...they look shit hot!

KSK
Old 11-15-2018, 05:36 PM
JK Newbie

Default To correct center wear

Originally Posted by AZJeeper
The picture clearly shows the down side. The contact patch is a bit smaller since the sides are pulled in.
Based on the research I’ve done about putting wider tires on Merrill wheels is that the tire pressure will have to be adjusted from 30 to 35 street PSI down to whatever it takes to flatten out the tread. So most likely you’re either a have to attach a GoPro camera to look at your tire tread or have someone follow you and look at your tread to find what psi flattens out the bottom of your tire
Old 11-16-2018, 06:49 PM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Luis Chavez
Based on the research I’ve done about putting wider tires on Merrill wheels is that the tire pressure will have to be adjusted from 30 to 35 street PSI down to whatever it takes to flatten out the tread. So most likely you’re either a have to attach a GoPro camera to look at your tire tread or have someone follow you and look at your tread to find what psi flattens out the bottom of your tire
You win an award for a 10 year old thread resurrect!
Old 11-17-2018, 01:43 AM
JK Newbie

!!!

oµ o oµ·, e ea»·° o µ cµae. µ µµ a ¶µ ce°, ceaea o± ° oa, ¶aµ ea, µ oa cµcµo 50% o ea°»o. oe e µ »ac o± e»o¶e, µ o, o »°ee o ¶µ µe»e, oe», cec ca oa°. ·a, ·a coo µ µ o µaµcµ µ ( »e e ¶µ µaµo). ˜ c»°° a µµe » oo, o µ·a o±o»°c ° e c, e µ! ae µ»o¶µ ea» » o»o, » » µ, µ °oa µ° ·° 15 cea o o ea»µ »e. e, » oo » °aceco oe· o¶e ca ¶µ»ae «»» o a» » c° eaµ, e ce»° o ¶µ ·aa! A °»µ oo µµco · ·ae»o a ±o °°»µ a µ·a±ae o o»e c ee. ee o±o o o µµo µ° o»µ µ µ¶e o»a ° aµ. O»° ¶o o· ±°o °o ·aµ ±e·aco e¶e aµ o°»°, ° oµ »e a a »µ °e. E» o »µµ »±o µ, ±°e e c°oµ °·oµ eeµ » µ, o e »± »°a oo»e ° oo!

§µ
c
¤°
¤»
˜°»

˜°
µ

Quick Reply: 12.50 wide tire on a 7" rim need some serious opinions!!!