JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Wheels and Tires (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-wheels-tires-241/)
-   -   -12 offset wheels with stock suspension?? Help! (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-wheels-tires-241/12-offset-wheels-stock-suspension-help-349028/)

JoyMarie 01-15-2019 09:48 AM

-12 offset wheels with stock suspension?? Help!

I just ordered new wheels for my 2013 sport and they are -12 offset. My current tires are 285/70/17 Firestone Destination. They are worn some so they measure out to less than 32". I am getting a 2.5 inch lift installed but it won't be until after the wheels get here. Can I go ahead and run the new wheels on stock suspension or will it rub? I am new to all of this so thanks in advance.

nthinuf 01-15-2019 11:30 AM

Offset is how far in or out of the wheel wells the rims/tires sit. Higher offset is tucked into the wells, lower offset they move further out.

The only problem with lower offset (assuming no lift and stock flares) is that, with stock offset, the tires tuck up inside the wheel wells - but if pushed further out, they may come into contact with the lower lip on the flares when the suspension cycles. This will depend on usage, tire height and width, bumpstops, load, etc, etc. Onroad only, probably not an issue. Offroad where the tires will stuff upward, they're more likely to contact the fenders. Because of the variables, we can't really give a definitive answer on it.

JoyMarie 01-15-2019 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by nthinuf (Post 4334290)
Offset is how far in or out of the wheel wells the rims/tires sit. Higher offset is tucked into the wells, lower offset they move further out.

The only problem with lower offset (assuming no lift and stock flares) is that, with stock offset, the tires tuck up inside the wheel wells - but if pushed further out, they may come into contact with the lower lip on the flares when the suspension cycles. This will depend on usage, tire height and width, bumpstops, load, etc, etc. Onroad only, probably not an issue. Offroad where the tires will stuff upward, they're more likely to contact the fenders. Because of the variables, we can't really give a definitive answer on it.

Thanks for the info. It will only be on pavement until the lift is installed. I was curious because I am getting the wheels put on my current tires and someone totally different is installing my lift. I read on here where you can't run stock wheels with a 2.5 inch lift due to rubbing so I want to make sure I can get it to where the lift will be installed with out any issues.

resharp001 01-15-2019 12:17 PM

A lot of people will put a larger and wider tire on the factory wheels. At that point, they may rub a bit on the frame at full turn (due to inadequate backspace), and on the fender under articulation (as nthinuf mentions). What you read is a common comment, but you might have just missed the part about tire size or it may have just been implied. IDK, but I do concur with nthinuf that you will be fine driving on the pavement with that tire/wheel combo until you lift.

JoyMarie 01-15-2019 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by resharp001 (Post 4334294)
A lot of people will put a larger and wider tire on the factory wheels. At that point, they may rub a bit on the frame at full turn (due to inadequate backspace), and on the fender under articulation (as nthinuf mentions). What you read is a common comment, but you might have just missed the part about tire size or it may have just been implied. IDK, but I do concur with nthinuf that you will be fine driving on the pavement with that tire/wheel combo until you lift.

Thanks! I probably won't have them on but a day or two depending on when my guy can put the lift on. It's my DD though so I needed to make sure it will be drive-able those couple days. I have stock suspension and stock fender flares so I was just worried about the tire rubbing the edge of the flare when turning. I have a a few inches of space between my tire and fender right now so I think I will be ok too. Thanks again for the input.
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jk-...afe333efb1.jpg

climber195 01-22-2019 05:36 PM

I am getting a set of 285/70r17 Duratrac’s very soon. (They are in transit from Indiana) I am also getting a 2.5” coil lift soon too. They are in transit as well. My garage guy told me that I can drive the Jeep whichever one is installed first, just stay on the pavement.

285/70r17 fit stock suspension.
2.5” lift can tolerate stock wheels.

of course, I hope he is right.