Notices
JK Wheels and Tires For all questions and answers concerning Wheels and Tires for Jeep JKs.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

38" Tire Quandry

Old 12-22-2018, 08:46 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 38" Tire Quandry

2015 JKU Sport. 4" lift and 35x12.5R17 tires
Old 12-22-2018, 09:14 AM
JK Newbie

Members, I am in the process of some upgrades. My situation is a little different than other post requesting information on "will these tires fit".

I guess to start, let me tell you where I am and long term plans. I have a 2015 JKU with 35" tires, a 4" suspension lift, flat fender flares, and a possible leveling kit. Long run, I want to add 38x15.5R20 and a 4.5 or 5.5" long arm lift. I just ordered Mickey Thompson 36x15.5R20 MZP3 tires and 20x12 wheels. Everything is on back order and I have spent too much time thinking. I know with the 38" I will have to re-gear and upgrade axels. I was looking into a Dana 44 for the front and am nervous with the heavy 38s.

I have a few options I am weighing and would appreciate honest feedback and field experience.

1. Stick with the 5x5 pattern on the wheels and one day get a dana 60 with a 5x5. start with the 36" tires and get 38s down the road - 1-2 years
2. Knowing the 5x5 is a weak spot, get a spacer/adapter and get the 8x615 wheels and run them on my current dana 30 front axels $550 and 2" on each side 36" tires
3. Get the Dana 60s now that are 8 lug and 69.5" wide, upgrade to the 38s now and pray it fits. Do the suspension lift down the road$$$$$$

I see people with smaller lifts and running 38s and probably rely on a bump stop to prevent rubbing. I would save a lot of money by doing as much as possible upfront. I can NOT do the suggested lift to fit 38s now. But I truly believe they will fit and not rub. But these are wide axels I am considering with 12" wheels, -44 offsets, and 4.75" backspacing. A little different than other post I have read. Advice and guidance please.
Old 12-22-2018, 02:04 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

I would look at 72" WMS axles for that wide a tire or you won't have full steering. You should be able to run with 4" of lift, no reason at all to go with a long arm.12x20 wheels? Whatever floats your boat but they are gay imo.
The following users liked this post:
smccune14 (12-28-2018)
Old 12-23-2018, 11:41 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,590 Posts

why why why. I'm with Dirtman on this one. Always interesting what others consider desirable.
smccune14 (12-28-2018)
Old 12-28-2018, 12:59 PM
JK Newbie

I thank you both for your response. I did want to clarify that the wheels are 20” diameter and 12” depth mounted on 36x15.5R20 tires. Perhaps the 12” x 20” was a misunderstanding or type-o. I agree, I low rider with 20” tires that are 12” tall would be……let’s say we share the same opinion.Digging into the situation more, I have clearance in the wheel wells. However, if I used spacers on my current Dana 35s front, Dana 44 rear, I would rub on my rock sliders in the front when turning. There is no way the 38s would fit. The only reason I was considering spacer/adapters was to convert my 5x5 pattern to an 8x6.5 and get wheels that would later adapt to the Dana 60 axle. All the advice I have received stress an 8 bolt pattern on a Dana 60 as the 5 lugs would be a weak point. I did not want to purchase another set of wheels down the road. Also, I was hoping I could fit 38s now as that is my goal. If I added the axles in 6 month or a year, I would be very close to my end goals.I am staging this upgrade and trying not to waste parts. Unless I spend a heck of a lot upfront, I am unfortunately going to use temporary parts (spacer and replace nerf bars) or settle for less than desired in the end build.

If you have feedback on my goals, I’d love to hear them.Currently, I bought a low mileage 2015 JKU with 4” lift, 17x9 wheels, 35x12.5R17s (Pro Comps on both)On order, 36x15.5R20. Will keep the Dana 35 and 44s for the time being. I am not sure of the gear ratio, however, I have been re-geared.Mid-Term 38x15.5R20. I want to stay as low as I can, but perhaps a 5.5’ suspension lift. If I like the look of the 36s, I just may redo the suspension lift (Pro Comp now). Perhaps Rock Krawler or a MetalCloak or a hybrid using Fox. I can’t rule out going with 40” tires one day and did not want to upgrade to Dana 44 in the front and later needing to upgrade if I did indeed go to 38-40” tires. So in 6 months, Dana 60 Dana Spicer on front and back (4.88). Engine mods TBD but is more long-term. As of now, either I will get a Dana 60 with a 5 bolt patter. Or, I am going to have to ditch the 5 lug wheels on order and get an 8 lug pattern with a 8 lug axle.Use – Daily driver. It may appear to look like a mall crawler, however, it will be off road quite a bit. I do drive a bit on the interstate and highways as there is nothing in this small town. It is a jeep, but I would still like to hit 80 mph. Most off road activity is spent on trails with moderate inclines and driving on the sand bar (has a lot of gravel). Thin tires sink fast and many jeeps have bogged down even with 13.5” tires. Party, b/c of the drivers. I like mud, I want to do light to moderate rock crawling. I seriously doubt I will hit the hard trails that some of these devoted forum members conquer every weekend.I have an idea what I want in the end. Staging this build is driving me nuts. It would be best to start with axles of course, but I need tires now. 6 months there will not be enough tread to sell them and I’ll lose out on $1,000 I can put back into this project.
Old 12-28-2018, 01:00 PM
JK Newbie

I thank you both for your response. I did want to clarify that the wheels are 20” diameter and 12” depth mounted on 36x15.5R20 tires. Perhaps the 12” x 20” was a misunderstanding or type-o. I agree, I low rider with 20” tires that are 12” tall would be……let’s say we share the same opinion.

Digging into the situation more, I have clearance in the wheel wells. However, if I used spacers on my current Dana 35s front, Dana 44 rear, I would rub on my rock sliders in the front when turning. There is no way the 38s would fit.
The only reason I was considering spacer/adapters was to convert my 5x5 pattern to an 8x6.5 and get wheels that would later adapt to the Dana 60 axle. All the advice I have received stress an 8 bolt pattern on a Dana 60 as the 5 lugs would be a weak point. I did not want to purchase another set of wheels down the road. Also, I was hoping I could fit 38s now as that is my goal. If I added the axles in 6 month or a year, I would be very close to my end goals.

I am staging this upgrade and trying not to waste parts. Unless I spend a heck of a lot upfront, I am unfortunately going to use temporary parts (spacer and replace nerf bars) or settle for less than desired in the end build.

If you have feedback on my goals, I’d love to hear them.
Currently, I bought a low mileage 2015 JKU with 4” lift, 17x9 wheels, 35x12.5R17s (Pro Comps on both)

On order, 36x15.5R20. Will keep the Dana 35 and 44s for the time being. I am not sure of the gear ratio, however, I have been re-geared.

Mid-Term 38x15.5R20. I want to stay as low as I can, but perhaps a 5.5’ suspension lift. If I like the look of the 36s, I just may redo the suspension lift (Pro Comp now). Perhaps Rock Krawler or a MetalCloak or a hybrid using Fox. I can’t rule out going with 40” tires one day and did not want to upgrade to Dana 44 in the front and later needing to upgrade if I did indeed go to 38-40” tires. So in 6 months, Dana 60 Dana Spicer on front and back (4.88). Engine mods TBD but is more long-term.

As of now, either I will get a Dana 60 with a 5 bolt patter. Or, I am going to have to ditch the 5 lug wheels on order and get an 8 lug pattern with a 8 lug axle.

Use – Daily driver. It may appear to look like a mall crawler, however, it will be off road quite a bit. I do drive a bit on the interstate and highways as there is nothing in this small town. It is a jeep, but I would still like to hit 80 mph. Most off road activity is spent on trails with moderate inclines and driving on the sand bar (has a lot of gravel). Thin tires sink fast and many jeeps have bogged down even with 13.5” tires. Party, b/c of the drivers. I like mud, I want to do light to moderate rock crawling. I seriously doubt I will hit the hard trails that some of these devoted forum members conquer every weekend.

I have an idea what I want in the end. Staging this build is driving me nuts. It would be best to start with axles of course, but I need tires now. 6 months there will not be enough tread to sell them and I’ll lose out on $1,000 I can put back into this project.

Old 12-28-2018, 02:08 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

You're rushing this one far too much. If you -need- to sell the tires to make the $1000 then put stock wheels on the jeep and go from there until you're ready to upgrade. Haste makes waste and it sounds like you'll have a lot of waste happening if you do these various stages of adapters, etc.

They both scoffed at the idea of 20" wheels, regardless of wheel width. 20" wheels are a but extreme unless you're on slabs with 40" toyo's and even then, it's a little odd. Buy once, cry once- stages sound good but your stages are too intricate and requires too much changing of parts.
smccune14 (01-02-2019)
Old 12-28-2018, 05:39 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,590 Posts

This thread just goes further and further down the WTF rabbit hole. I've spent a good bit of time writing several different responses only to re-read them and determine I'm either being an ass or that it's not constructive, so I'll refrain for tonight at least. There's just so much going on. Maybe Karl hit the nail on the head here -

Originally Posted by karls10jk
stages sound good but your stages are too intricate and requires too much changing of parts.
smccune14 (01-02-2019)
Old 12-29-2018, 03:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Holly shit. Can you start over with less words. You lost me at 4" lift and a leveling kit or was it the front Dana 35.
Old 12-29-2018, 03:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

but I need tires now. 6 months there will not be enough tread to sell them and I’ll lose out on $1,000 I can put back into this project.[/QUOTE]

So let's get this straight you're going to get $1000 for tires with 6 months of tread?
smccune14 (01-02-2019)

Quick Reply: 38" Tire Quandry