Notices
JK Wheels and Tires For all questions and answers concerning Wheels and Tires for Jeep JKs.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

38" Tire Quandry

Old 01-25-2019, 09:53 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Staging won’t work

I’m in the process of something similar. I’m taking my jku with 35s and 3.5 lift to 40s on d60s. I spent months trying to figure out how to do it in stages. I thought about getting the wheels and tires and running them gently on my stock d30/44, but the bolt pattern is different. I thought about getting just the tires and running them on my wheels, but mine are 18s, and there’s a crap selection of 40s for 18s. I’m staying 13.5 because here in PA, the fenders must fully cover the tires. I’m also at the highest lift I can go and still keep my bumpers under 30 inches. It turns out with the Dana ultimate d60s, I still will need to run a 3.5 backspace to have steering clearance. Bottom line is o would have had to buy thousands of dollars worth of parts twice to do it in stages. I just sucked it up and ponied up for the d60s. I’m in the process of getting the wheels, tires, driveshafts, some new metalcloak adjustable control arms, etc. I even ordered a rear bumper and tire carrier, because I have no other way to carry a spare. It will cost me almost as much as the jeep by the time I’m done, but that’s the price of being stupid enough to want to run 40s on a jk.

the D60s look awesome, by the way. They come complete with lockers, bigger brakes, and all the upgraded driveline parts you could want (except the shafts) for under 12 grand.
The following users liked this post:
smccune14 (01-28-2019)

Quick Reply: 38" Tire Quandry