Notices
JK Wheels and Tires For all questions and answers concerning Wheels and Tires for Jeep JKs.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Tire PSI Question

Old 05-14-2018, 06:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Another Tire PSI Question

So running Mickey Thompson ATZ 285/75/16, E Load rated at 20 psi on stock 16” rims. See chalk pics. Per the picture should I continue to lower pressure? Is it acceptable to run them safely at this pressure?

If it is acceptable what would be a good pressure to run off road without risking blowing em off the wheel bead?
Old 05-14-2018, 07:39 PM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

That is definitely lower than I would run on the street. Part of your problem is the narrow stock wheel. A wider wheel would give you a better contact patch with the road, plus your gas mileage must suck at that pressure.
Old 05-15-2018, 05:06 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Dang, 20psi in a 33 is way low regardless of chalk test IMO. That E rated tire isn't gonna flatten out much....I know you have bumpers and stuff, but you are generally still pretty light. I'd think most people with 33s are running in the 30-32psi on road, with 35s more like 28-32. Even with 37s, I run ~27psi on road. And as Ryan noted, you're always gonna have the trade off of tire wear vs. fuel economy, so it's just searching for that happy median while mixing ride comfort on the mix as well.

Off road, same thing....no real right or wrong. 15psi very safe. You could probably even go to 12psi and be ok, but I've not had a 33 much less on a 16" wheel. That said, you'd be really surprised what it takes to break a bead on one of these while off roading.
Old 05-15-2018, 06:42 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Yep, that's pretty light on the pressure and like resharp001 said, an E rated tire is too heavy. Heck I run E rated tires on my 2500 HD and tow 10-12K with it. You really should be running a D or C rated tire. (I run a D rated tire on my JKU which weighs 5738 lbs)
Old 05-15-2018, 10:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Son of a biscuit..... Wish I had known better about load rating on tires. Caveat emptor for sure. I'll have to do some research see if Mickey makes a D or C load tire. They've been great on the wheeling so far. Well I suppose I'll just run em down until worn, it's not like I can go back to Discount and say "Yeah you ordered the wrong load rating." After I've put a few hundred miles on em.
Old 05-15-2018, 10:28 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Yeah, it's not the end of the world. You're still gonna get a lot of use/life out of them, maybe just not the optimal amount due to wearing a bit heavier in the middle. I'd still bet 50k miles or so though. For the type of things you're looking to do, nothing wrong with a C rated tire next time, or a D. I'm kinda shocked that those are E rated tbh.

Just to ease your concerns about breaking beads while in the middle of nowhere.....my first set of 35s was a C rated tire. I'd air those down to 11/12 psi and put them through a workout, really beating up the sidewalls and squishin em down in very offcamber situations up against washouts and such. Once or twice I'd get a tiny slow leak at the bead and would have to reseat....but I'd reiterate SLOW LEAK. I air my 37s down to 10 or so with non-beadlocks and no issues wheelin hard. Only one time have I been with someone that blew a bead and it was our own dumb error of winching off a jeep parked sideways.....and putting a ton of stress on it the jeep pulling it against the sidewall when it only had 10psi or so in it. Blowing a bead is not a common thing in most off roading IMO.....even at pretty low tire pressures and with traditional rims. You're much more likely to puncture a tire.

Last edited by resharp001; 05-15-2018 at 10:30 AM.
Old 05-15-2018, 10:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have 33x12.50r18 Toyo Open Country M/Ts on stock rims. I chalked them at 29 psi, FYIY. They are also E rated.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:16 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Seizer
Son of a biscuit..... Wish I had known better about load rating on tires. Caveat emptor for sure. I'll have to do some research see if Mickey makes a D or C load tire. They've been great on the wheeling so far. Well I suppose I'll just run em down until worn, it's not like I can go back to Discount and say "Yeah you ordered the wrong load rating." After I've put a few hundred miles on em.
2 more posts and you won't be a "newb" anymore. LOL
Old 05-15-2018, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Originally Posted by Seizer
They do have a satisfaction guarantee, it may be with going in and seeing what they'll do for you. They can ship those tires to HQ and they'll end up on eBay.
Old 05-15-2018, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

I'm with karl on this... worst they can say is 'no' and make fun of you...

Quick Reply: Another Tire PSI Question