Notices
JK Wheels and Tires For all questions and answers concerning Wheels and Tires for Jeep JKs.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Downsizing in Winter?

Old 08-30-2018, 09:57 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Downsizing in Winter?

FIrst official post here, so be kind. Yes I tried to find an answer, no I did not find one, so here goes. On my car I normally downsize in winter. I live in Québec, so we have a lot of snow and do not see the secondary roads until springs. For my car, downsizing makes sense to have better traction and cutting through snow with a "skinnier" tire, but is it necessary for a jeep? I understand the principles are the same, but I think going through snow would not be and issue with regular sizing? Not sure if it would affect grip or not?

Presently I have OEM tires on a JK Rubi 2 doors, sadly they are M/T which are not winter rated. I have to have winter tires with the mountain and snowflake by law, so I have to buy new tires. So, what do the majority of folks who live in or near the frozen tundra do for winter?

As a corrolary question, I have looked at the Duratracs, Blizzak DMV-2 and W965, and Hakkas, but any suggestion are welcome.*
Tx
Old 08-30-2018, 12:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I just saw that Cooper makes a nice winter rated tire called the XT4, it can be used all year just like the duratrac
Old 08-30-2018, 01:37 PM
JK Newbie

I’ll have to check them out, I am not too familiar with Cooper
Old 08-31-2018, 03:15 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

When I worked in rural Kansas we used fairly wide (275 and 285) Good Year Duratracs on our F-150 work trucks, and they did exceptionally well. I am a big fan of the Duratrac if you are planning for ice and snow.
The following users liked this post:
eng23ine (08-31-2018)
Old 08-31-2018, 10:24 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks that is the approach I was leaning towards.
Old 08-31-2018, 11:07 AM
JK Newbie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Another vote for Duratracs, or their twin Kanati trail hogs, for snow/ice.
Best do everything tire I've seen.
Old 10-05-2018, 11:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lannister
FIrst official post here, so be kind. Yes I tried to find an answer, no I did not find one, so here goes. On my car I normally downsize in winter. I live in Québec, so we have a lot of snow and do not see the secondary roads until springs. For my car, downsizing makes sense to have better traction and cutting through snow with a "skinnier" tire, but is it necessary for a jeep? I understand the principles are the same, but I think going through snow would not be and issue with regular sizing? Not sure if it would affect grip or not?

Presently I have OEM tires on a JK Rubi 2 doors, sadly they are M/T which are not winter rated. I have to have winter tires with the mountain and snowflake by law, so I have to buy new tires. So, what do the majority of folks who live in or near the frozen tundra do for winter?

As a corrolary question, I have looked at the Duratracs, Blizzak DMV-2 and W965, and Hakkas, but any suggestion are welcome.*
Tx
Also being in Quebec, I would recommend a full winter rated tire. Not winter approved. Sure you can get by on duratracs but unless you stud them they're not that great on ice.
If you're keeping the stock size there are a lot of choices. If you go to a 33" tire you're limited to load rancge E for the most part.
I seem to be leaning towards the toyo WLT or the hercules avalanche xtreme studded as an inexpensive choice.check out pneus econo
Old 10-23-2018, 10:44 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks, sorry for the late reply. I ended up going to Duratracs. I hear what you say about dedicated winter tires, but the JK is my second car, so I think I will be able to manage.
Old 11-18-2018, 08:12 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for this thread - new to forum here myself and looked for a while but couldn't find good info on snow rated tires. I'm in Alabama now and my local shops don't really have snowtire experience.

I currently have the 33" (285-70-R17) Mickey Thompson muddies on the 17" Rugged Ridge wheel kit. After some trips and time for new tires, decided would like to swap out the tires for M+S or MtnSnow rated tires to meet state winter laws (Colorado, etc) but wanting some that will also be good on for everyday, year-round highway driving. Can't afford two whole sets of tires (plus spare). Would like to stay in the 32-33" range but could go narrower tread than the muddies.

Suggestions would be appreciated (and apologies for any newbie etiquette blunders).

Quick Reply: Downsizing in Winter?