Notices
JK Wheels and Tires For all questions and answers concerning Wheels and Tires for Jeep JKs.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Largest Tire Size For Stock JK Rubicon Wheel

Old 07-05-2011, 08:54 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Largest Tire Size For Stock JK Rubicon Wheel

I have looked everywhere and cannot find the answer I need so I thought I would ask the experts. I would like to know what the widest tire I could fit onto my stock JK wheels are. I will lift it of course, because I would like to put at least 34"s on it and I will adjust the backspacing as needed. I was hoping that maybe a 305/70R17 would work. Can anyone help me please?! Thank you!
Old 07-05-2011, 10:00 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by nealrj
I have looked everywhere and cannot find the answer I need so I thought I would ask the experts. I would like to know what the widest tire I could fit onto my stock JK wheels are. I will lift it of course, because I would like to put at least 34"s on it and I will adjust the backspacing as needed. I was hoping that maybe a 305/70R17 would work. Can anyone help me please?! Thank you!
Welcom to the forum. Congrats on the first post. Here is a good spot to start your research.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ery-Newbie-Has
Old 07-05-2011, 10:08 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

People are putting 12.50 width tires on stock rims with no issues. The problem you may run into is that some tire shops will not mount wide tires on rims that are narrower than the mfg's spec for that tire. Same thing for wheel spacers, some shops won't mount or rotate tires if you are running them.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:48 AM
JK Newbie

wow thank you so much! I am glad to hear that I can get 12.5" wide tires on there. Are there any issues with this though?
Old 07-06-2011, 05:59 AM
JK Super Freak

When you put wider than recommended tires on stock rims you can get uneven wear. There is also a very remote chance that you could induce sidewall failure by pinching the sidewalls into a skinny rim. It's the sidewall risk that is the main concern for anyone mounting the tires and why many shops will not take on the liability of mounting tires outside the manufacturers recommendations. Wheel Spacers are also a liability risk and many tire shops avoid them as well.

Now having said that, 100s of folks on the forum run wheel spacers and 12.5 wheels for thousands of miles. I have not heard of any sidewall failures not induced by big sharp rocks. There have been posts of spacer failures when the spacers were not properly mounted and regularly checked. But if you mount the spacers properly and check them regularly you should be OK.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:56 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Running spacers is not a problem. I've run them on my TJ for 10 years, over some tough trails - no problems. I run them on the rear of my JKU currently as well.

Just remember to use lock-tite on the interior studs when you install them. I've never had a shop give me any grief for running them and I live in CA.

I believe the factory wheels on JKUs are either a 7" wide rim or a 7.5" wide rim. Either one will work with a 12.50 tire that includes a wheel spacer. Wider tires on these rim widths will usually result in the tire being convex rather than flat on the road surface and the center of your tires will wear faster.

I've run 13.50" inch wide tire on an 8.5" wide rim and currently run a 14.50" wide tire on a 9" wide rim. Both worked fine.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:02 AM
JK Freak

I have a 315mm wide tire on my stock rim. With spacer. 0 issues off road, or on road. 12k miles. Not easy miles.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:40 AM
JK Super Freak

FYI - I have spacers too and have had no issues after 40K miles.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:32 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by nealrj
check my mods in my sig. and my write ups-i'm running everthing you're looking for. 3yrs and 30K miles-no issues whatsoever. i love this set-up. it keeps a lower center of gravity and enough lift for just about any trail east of the mississippi.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:02 AM
JK Newbie

Folks, I am kind of on a similar boat if you will than the original poster + spacers. I am also looking for actual suggestions of tires you have used.

My rig:
2013 Rubicon 2dr, stock wheels, stock suspension.
Running 1.75" spacers.

I do 90% road/freeway / 10% offroad (this is my daily driver), and would like a slightly more civilized tire than the BFGoodrich stock meat.
Can anyone suggest a larger, wider tire for the Rubicon stock wheels already running a 1.75" spacer? I'd go as big as I can w my setup w/out lifts.

Thanks for reading, I would appreciate your suggestions.

Quick Reply: Largest Tire Size For Stock JK Rubicon Wheel