Notices
JK Wheels and Tires For all questions and answers concerning Wheels and Tires for Jeep JKs.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New tires finally needed...argh!

Old 04-08-2019, 07:39 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

So I have two of the three you list. I've got KO2s on my 2011 JKU (mostly a toy and I rock crawl it) and my 2016 2500HD (my DD). They are a great tire. The ones on my truck are E rated (I tow with the truck also) and so they are bit rougher feeling than the ones on my 2011 (C or D rated, can't remember). The truck tires seem to be wearing nicely (I've got 12,000 miles on them now) and are still pretty quiet.

I have AT/3Ws on a 2000 XJ and I think, for a DD vehicle, these are the better tire. They come with a mileage warranty and perform great in rain, light mud, a bit of sand... they've only seen 3 inches of snow, but did well in that. They are quieter than the KO2s (as should be expected) but I think they are a shade short of the off road capability of the KO2.

I don't think you can go wrong with either, but if I were pressed to give an answer, I'd put the AT/3W as more DD than the KO2.
The following users liked this post:
redsfan (04-08-2019)
Old 04-08-2019, 07:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I run Nitto Trail Grapplers, They are my preferred tire. got 70k miles off the last set. However they dry rot a little quicker then other tires. But, they have the aggressive look, arnt stupid loud on the road and do perfect on the trails.
Old 04-08-2019, 08:52 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by redsfan
ST Maxx looks great, descent reviews as well, thanks. Not sure I need anything more than that, don't want overly aggressive and sacrific traction. Looking into prices, etc as well
Likely Karls10jk can provide you some further insights of the Coopers vs. the KO2s. Karl seems to put a lot of miles on his JK and also owns a TJ. I think he's owned almost everyone of the most higher recommended tires at one time or another and can provide an unbiased opinion comparison. I forget if he had the ST Maxx or the Pros....one of the Coopers as I recall.
Old 04-08-2019, 11:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like they aren't 4 season rated. Not sure if that is a true actual measure in snow, but neither are the Nitto's
Old 04-08-2019, 11:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Ya, my jeep has only seen snow once and it was when South Texas got a freak snow storm of like 2 inches lol. Had a lot of fun that day. Mine have been in everything else tho.
Old 04-09-2019, 05:16 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by redsfan
Looks like they aren't 4 season rated. Not sure if that is a true actual measure in snow, but neither are the Nitto's
Yeah, I think the KO2s are one of the few off road friendly tread pattern design tires which also have the snowflake snow rating stamp on them which played a factor in the reasons I got them. I believe the Duratracs might as well, but I'm uncertain.

Last edited by Rednroll; 04-09-2019 at 05:27 AM.
Old 04-09-2019, 06:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednroll
Yeah, I think the KO2s are one of the few off road friendly tread pattern design tires which also have the snowflake snow rating stamp on them which played a factor in the reasons I got them. I believe the Duratracs might as well, but I'm uncertain.
Yes they are, along with a few others..
Old 04-09-2019, 07:49 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednroll
Likely Karls10jk can provide you some further insights of the Coopers vs. the KO2s. Karl seems to put a lot of miles on his JK and also owns a TJ. I think he's owned almost everyone of the most higher recommended tires at one time or another and can provide an unbiased opinion comparison. I forget if he had the ST Maxx or the Pros....one of the Coopers as I recall.
I had the old style Cooper STT's and really enjoyed them. They had probably 40-45k miles on them and still had easily half tread. The ko2's have been a great tire but I'm looking at moving to the Cooper ST Maxx next. High silica content which helps with wet traction as well as rocks. The TJ has been retired to a weekend toy but it's on Mickey MTZ's and I'd never use them on a daily. Previously it had the old style Falken's which were terrible- zero wet traction and they wore quickly, particularly for a vehicle that didn't weigh much.

But yes, I'm at 50k on my ko2's with tread left (have to measure) but I'm looking at a few different tire options. A move to Tennessee is going to help sway my tire choice because there's a lot more wheeling in that area than there is here. Weight is one of the factors that has eliminated some of the other popular tires like the Nitto's and Toyo's.

Quick Reply: New tires finally needed...argh!