Notices
JK Wheels and Tires For all questions and answers concerning Wheels and Tires for Jeep JKs.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No lift...stock 18in Sahara wheel..biggest tire?

Old 07-22-2010, 05:16 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ctsw20
I'm in the same boat.. I don't want to switch to a 15" or 16" rim because I feel a 33" tire on that size rim would make the jeep feel "loose" when driving on paved roads.
I like the feeling the 18" rims/tires have when taking turns, getting off the highway.. etc..
So I'm back and forth on if I want to purchase 17" rims and run 33's or keep my 18" saharas and run a 33".
decisions.. decisions..

Let's hear your sales pitches!
If you can find a nice set of 17 rims you like with the proper BS you can run a nice 33x12.5 M/T. Then you can swap your nice rims and run your stock sahara rims with stock tires in the winter months! Sipe your stock tires to get better traction in the ice & snow. This way your fancy 17's won't get destroyed by salt and gravel over the years! Plus you have more selection on 17" tires vs 18" and the 17" tires are cheaper!
Old 07-22-2010, 05:48 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Goodyear Duratrac
Old 07-22-2010, 06:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Indy. I don't know the actual tire size, but I believe you can run a 33" tire with few problems. Whether you have 13" or 18" wheel, the tire size(diameter) would be the same - a tire shop should be able to point you in right direction = say the sticky says you can run a 285/75/17 with stock suspension(never read it), you should be able to talk to a tire shop and they will give you the same size tire(overall diameter) of the tire on an 18" rim.

Good luck with the tire shopping.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default No lift...stock 18in Sahara wheel..biggest tire?

Thanks TripleJeep, that is a good idea. Kansas City winters get pretty bad also, but I work for a salt company so I won't knock the salt! Looks like I will save some money and do some rim shopping.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:08 PM
JK Junkie

Unfortunately most of the local tire shops I've dealt with simply do not understand how metric tire sizes work. So simply walking in and telling them you want 33s for your 18 inch rims is going to end up with either a clueless look on the attendant's face or they'll simply tell you something entirely incorrect.

With proper backspacing (i.e., wheel spacers) you should be able to run 33s. I suggest you go to

4lo.com/calc/gearmetric.htm

and play around with the tire size calculator plugging in various widths and aspect ratios until you find the metric equivalent of what you are looking for. Just my 2-cents.

Last edited by u-joint; 07-22-2010 at 07:09 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 07-22-2010, 07:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jwhitehorn
Unfortunately most of the local tire shops I've dealt with simply do not understand how metric tire sizes work. So simply walking in and telling them you want 33s for your 18 inch rims is going to end up with either a clueless look on the attendant's face or they'll simply tell you something entirely incorrect.

With proper backspacing (i.e., wheel spacers) you should be able to run 33s. I suggest you go to

4lo.com/calc/gearmetric.htm

and play around with the tire size calculator plugging in various widths and aspect ratios until you find the metric equivalent of what you are looking for. Just my 2-cents.
^^^ I stand corrected. I thought a tire shop would be able to figure the correct tire size for you. Good info to know.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:26 AM
JK Freak

Would love to hear this as well. Would like to find a beefier A/T tire that is better in the rain, snow etc.... then what's there now.

I like the owner WILL NOT consider new wheels, or a lift (for now).

so would love to hear so more answers related to the stock 18s and slightly beefier tires.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:34 AM
JK Super Freak

i got 32 km2's i get a lil rub on sway bar when wheel turned all the way.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

I am running DuraTracs (275/70/18) with nothing else but a few washers on the stops...

(See profile pic)
Old 07-18-2012, 11:00 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by doubleusn
I am running DuraTracs (275/70/18) with nothing else but a few washers on the stops...

(See profile pic)

Hey - I have a 2008 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited looking to change out the tires but concerned about going bigger. I saw your post stating you went with 33s and would like your input now time has passed. How have you liked it, do you have a Manual or Auto tranny? How much difference in MPG & acceleration do you notice when you went to the larger wheels?

A lift is in the future but no time soon ( I will when I replace the shocks ). The OEMs are 255/70/R18 and I have been thinking of going no larger than 275/65/18 to maintain the overall diameter so I dont loose power & have to recal the odometer. This is still my DD.

Any input is appreciated, thanks -

Quick Reply: No lift...stock 18in Sahara wheel..biggest tire?