Notices
JK Wheels and Tires For all questions and answers concerning Wheels and Tires for Jeep JKs.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rubicon wheels/tires on Sahara

Old 06-06-2012, 03:04 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubicon wheels/tires on Sahara

I was thinking of getting a set of pulled rubicon wheels/tires to put on my 2012 Sahara but not sure if I would need to make any other adjustments? Would I get a better ride if I upgraded the shocks too? This is my daily driver and used for fairly moderate off roading since here in central Ohio there isn't any extreme trails to really go on. I do plan to go to jeep jamboree at Cumberland this year but that will be the toughest trails she see's so don't see the need for a lift or tires any larger. Has anyone done this and what results did you see as far ride and or any change in mpg? Or if anyone just has suggestions to make this work well let me know! Thanks in advance!
Old 06-06-2012, 03:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey. Welcome to the forum.

Based on not wanting to lift it and the fact that its a brand new 2012 I'd just bolt on the Rubicon take offs and be done with it.

Happy wheeling!
Old 06-06-2012, 04:45 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Cozmik
Hey. Welcome to the forum.

Based on not wanting to lift it and the fact that its a brand new 2012 I'd just bolt on the Rubicon take offs and be done with it.

Happy wheeling!
Thanks!

I was hoping since its new and same tire size as I have now I wouldn't need to change much. I'm sure the mud terrain tires may be a tad rougher on the street but hopefully it won't be much of a change and will give me better grip on the trails too.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:46 AM
MTG
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The wheels and tires should bolt right on without problem. Not sure if your 2012 is a 2 or 4 door. If its a 2 door take off Rubicon springs will give you a slight lift 1.5-2" depending on spring rating. Rubicon shocks are valved differently as well and would improve your ride. None of this should require any other changes as the parts are all OEM. If you go aftermarket shocks, be sure to get the right length. I think Bilstein makes some in stock length.

Good luck!
Old 06-06-2012, 04:50 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by MTG
The wheels and tires should bolt right on without problem. Not sure if your 2012 is a 2 or 4 door. If its a 2 door take off Rubicon springs will give you a slight lift 1.5-2" depending on spring rating. Rubicon shocks are valved differently as well and would improve your ride. None of this should require any other changes as the parts are all OEM. If you go aftermarket shocks, be sure to get the right length. I think Bilstein makes some in stock length.

Good luck!
Mine is actually a 4 door. Would the rubicon shocks help a little in that case as well?
Old 06-06-2012, 04:53 AM
JK Freak

You wouldn't need the shocks, just the springs.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:06 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mrlobaloba
You wouldn't need the shocks, just the springs.
Gotcha. So wheels/tires and springs and should be good?

Thanks for the responses!
Old 06-06-2012, 08:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

The factory springs are not worth grabbing, you have a 4dr already, the spring lift only works for a 2 dr using 4dr springs. As well what color shocks do you have right now? If they are red you are good to go. red ones were rubi ones for earlier years, but I thought they started installing those shocks in other models now ( saraha, mountain, cod, artic, etc) Just grab th wheels and tires, are they coming wih the tpms? If so you just need to bolt them on and go. If not you'll have the idiot light for tire pressure on. You'll see a mpg drop due to the mt that are on it but the offroad traction is usually worth it.
If you can keep both sets of rims/tires run your stock 18's on the street and then swap for offroading.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:13 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by pirate
The factory springs are not worth grabbing, you have a 4dr already, the spring lift only works for a 2 dr using 4dr springs. As well what color shocks do you have right now? If they are red you are good to go. red ones were rubi ones for earlier years, but I thought they started installing those shocks in other models now ( saraha, mountain, cod, artic, etc) Just grab th wheels and tires, are they coming wih the tpms? If so you just need to bolt them on and go. If not you'll have the idiot light for tire pressure on. You'll see a mpg drop due to the mt that are on it but the offroad traction is usually worth it.
If you can keep both sets of rims/tires run your stock 18's on the street and then swap for offroading.
I believe mine are the black shocks. Shouldn't my current set of tpm's be able to work on those as well?
Old 06-06-2012, 10:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yes your current tmps will work in the rubi rims but then you will have to dismount the tires from the rim on both sets as they are internal to the rim/tire Combo. In my opinion it's not worth the hassle to swap the shocks over, if you want a better ride go with a set of bilstein ones.
As well if your looking at just rubi tires they won't fit your Sahara rims. Rubi rims are 17 and the Sahara rims are 18.
But if they are rim/tire combo they will boot right up, and as they are both 32" wheels you should have no issue with the speedo.

Last edited by pirate; 06-06-2012 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Stupid iPhone auto correct

Quick Reply: Rubicon wheels/tires on Sahara