Notices
JK Wheels and Tires For all questions and answers concerning Wheels and Tires for Jeep JKs.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Setup question

Old 02-19-2019, 07:20 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Setup question

Over the holidays I picked up a TF leveling kit and a couple sets of spidertrax 1.5 wheel spacers for my 2017 JKU Willy’s edition. Next step is to pick a set of tires. I finally got to see the Nitto Ridge Grappler in person and I’m sold. I will be keeping the stock wheels and would like the 305/70/17. Does any one see an issue with that setup concerning the fenders or rubbing on any of the bars at full turn? Will I need to upgrade my tire carrier also? Thanks in advanced.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:51 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

You'll rub if you're going off-road and articulating with full lock to lock steering, but you shouldn't have issues as a daily driver.

On the tire carrier- that's your call. Some people seem to think the stock carrier is fine with a 35" but I like to upgrade as soon as you go with a heavier than stock tire.
Old 02-20-2019, 04:31 AM
JK Newbie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jkdito5
Over the holidays I picked up a TF leveling kit and a couple sets of spidertrax 1.5 wheel spacers for my 2017 JKU Willy’s edition. Next step is to pick a set of tires. I finally got to see the Nitto Ridge Grappler in person and I’m sold. I will be keeping the stock wheels and would like the 305/70/17. Does any one see an issue with that setup concerning the fenders or rubbing on any of the bars at full turn? Will I need to upgrade my tire carrier also? Thanks in advanced.
you won't "need" to but it doesn't hurt to do it sooner than later. for the stock carrier the key is making sure your tire sits snugly against the rubber door isolators. that keeps the wheel from flexing and weakening the stock tailgate and hinges. with stock wheels, the tire should snug up pretty good against the isolators without any modification. i was running 35s on stock wheels and it worked. aftermarket wheels with less backspacing will require extensions of some sort to the rubber.

Quick Reply: Setup question