Notices
JK Wheels and Tires For all questions and answers concerning Wheels and Tires for Jeep JKs.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tires/wheels/fenders Question

Old 02-28-2015, 08:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires/wheels/fenders Question

I have a 2012 jk and so far just have 1.5 wheel spacers and Rancho 9000xl shocks. I am wanting to get some 33's or 35's on either a 15 or 16in wheel. Can I do so with no rubbing? Or will I need to trim or get new fenders and would some Rubicon Coil spring take offs help gain me some clearance? Thanks guys
Old 02-28-2015, 08:57 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

You should be ok with 33's. For 35's, you will want to trim the flares or go to flats, especially if you will be offroad and disconnected. You might be able to add a bit taller bumpstops to minimize this contact. Maybe. You may also need to trim the front bumper, rear pinch seam, and the skid. (though many people just rip that cheesy plastic skid off)

The effects of take-off coils will depend on the numbers on your current coils versus the numbers on the take-offs. Some people claim 1-2", it just depends on the specifics of your build. If you add height, get a handle on what all changes so you know how to fix it (if you decide that you want to fix any of it, that is)

Research 15" rims so you minimize the risk of caliper clearance issues. Both 15" and 16" can also have clearance issues with many aftermarket steering component ends, and with all of the big brake upgrade kits.
Old 03-01-2015, 06:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Great info. Thanks.
Old 03-01-2015, 03:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

if you get 4.5 backspacing on the wheels, you can get rid of the spacers as well. FYI though, 15"/16" wheels can be a bit to small if you plan to upgrade to HD tire rods... depending of brand of course.
Old 03-01-2015, 06:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

why do you want 15" or 16" rims?
Old 03-02-2015, 04:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

I was told they would be better and tires would be cheaper. My stock wheels are 18in.
I'm just going by word of mouth.
Old 03-02-2015, 04:22 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tammy
I was told they would be better and tires would be cheaper. My stock wheels are 18in.
I'm just going by word of mouth.
Better???? Really why??? Cheaper yes but not if it's going to create other issues and expenses down the road to modify other components..... I'd be looking into 17" ..... Good luck
Old 03-02-2015, 12:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by robsjeep9
Better???? Really why??? Cheaper yes but not if it's going to create other issues and expenses down the road to modify other components..... I'd be looking into 17" ..... Good luck

I'm not really sure why they told me better specifically but I totally understand ur point. So 17s sound good to me. Thanks so much.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:55 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

A lot of people really like 15's. Cheaper tire cost, more sidewall when offroad, and may people just like the look of small rims with lots of rubber around them.

But, even with the tires being a bit more expensive, 17's may be a better choice. (The clearance issues already mentioned, and tire mfg's are slowly moving away from 15's/16's in favor of larger sizes).

And remember that if you go with the proper backspace/offset (for whichever size you choose), you can remove the wheel spaces and sell them to cover some of the cost of the new rims.
Old 03-02-2015, 05:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nthinuf
A lot of people really like 15's. Cheaper tire cost, more sidewall when offroad, and may people just like the look of small rims with lots of rubber around them. But, even with the tires being a bit more expensive, 17's may be a better choice. (The clearance issues already mentioned, and tire mfg's are slowly moving away from 15's/16's in favor of larger sizes). And remember that if you go with the proper backspace/offset (for whichever size you choose), you can remove the wheel spaces and sell them to cover some of the cost of the new rims.

Maybe so.... I have 18s now so wonder if I should just stay with that and not spend $ on 17s??
Hummm. So much to think about.

Quick Reply: Tires/wheels/fenders Question