Notices
JK Wheels and Tires For all questions and answers concerning Wheels and Tires for Jeep JKs.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Went from 16" steelies to Rubicon wheels and tires....

Old 06-06-2012, 09:48 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pirate
I don't think the dealer can go any bigger then stock so 32" max. As well I don't think the superchips works on the 2012 or is it just 2011? Just make sure that it will work for your application.

Before spending a bunch of hard earned cash wheel it stock with the rubi take offs, you'll be surprised at what it can/will do.
I didn't know that about the dealerships limitations on tire sizes. I think I will take your advice and wheel it for a bit as it sits. Not much in the way of wheeling in central Ohio except some logging roads and small trails anyway. I'm still a bit blown away that on my CJ's or YJ's, I had to go at least 3" of lift before going w/ 33's. On this I could theoretically go w/ 33's completely stock. Thanks again for the input.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:09 PM
JK Newbie

As mentioned, the dealership cannot (or won't) calibrate for tire sizes larger than stock Rubis (32").

The Procal works for '12s but there is no Superchips product for the '12s. Or at least there wasn't when I was looking a few months back.

I put 33s on my 2dr and haven't reprogrammed anything. But I have a manual so shift points are irrelevant. I never look at the speedo anyway so I dont really care about recalibrating it. I just drive at the speed of traffic, which as safer than driving at a specific, arbitrary speed limit anyway.

I assume my odo must be off as well though? It seems it must be logging fewer miles than I am actually driving. Anyone able to confirm this?
Old 06-06-2012, 05:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is correct. In turn affecting your MPG reading.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:27 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JeepnDude
I assume my odo must be off as well though? It seems it must be logging fewer miles than I am actually driving. Anyone able to confirm this?
Yeah...it's pretty far off. Using a GPS (not scientific, but pretty accurate i'd guess) I'm actually driving about 11.5 miles for every 10 that shows up on my odometer. Not much over the short term but I'll only show about 88K miles when I should actually be around 100K. I'm only guessing at my MPG's. Jeep computer says around 17.5 but I'm guessing I'm getting around 18 to 18.5 MPG's. I'll post after I get it re calibrated and let you know the changes. After reading a bunch of stuff on the Forum about engine ticking and such, I think I'm going to wait anyway for the lift and 35's. I'm not giving Chrysler any ammo by which to refuse a claim if ever one should arise.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

They can't deny you warinity on things that you have not changed or modded out. But it does make them harder to deal with if your severely modded. Their are other things to buy like armor, lights, recovery gear, that the dealer won't care about and your warinity stays intact. And as you use your jeep, you'll know how much of a lift you want, size of tires etc down the road.

Pick up a procal and use it to set your tire size, it also give you some other options, and it will cost a bit more then what the dealer will charge, but then it's yours and you may want other features, or will go up it tire size again down the road.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The dealer can correct to the 32" Rubi take-offs because that is a standard size and they have a program to do this (the same as if you get a radio upgrade to a standard available model at the dealer). Larger tires will require an aftermarket flasher and I think everyone is correct - I have read about not being able to flash some (or any) things on the 3.6 ECM

Quick Reply: Went from 16" steelies to Rubicon wheels and tires....