JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Wheels and Tires (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-wheels-tires-241/)
-   -   Wheel hard to turn after loud bang near FR L tire (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-wheels-tires-241/wheel-hard-turn-after-loud-bang-near-fr-l-tire-346382/)

Zachlieber 05-09-2018 06:15 PM

Wheel hard to turn after loud bang near FR Right tire

Hey guys, I have lifted JK w 35’s I recently bought. Was working fine until I actually turned the wheels from lock to lock the other night. When that happened I heard a loud noise near the front passenger (sorry title says L, I tried to change it to R) tire. I assume some tie rod end, track bar bolt or ball joint broke. Now when I’m at a stop and I try to turn the wheel when not driving it’s almost like I don’t have power steering. When I’m driving I can turn it fine. Took it shop they they said pump fine, fluid fine, has to do w changed geometry of lift. I’m wondering if i need a track bar relocation bracket, flipped drag link, new tie rod end etc. i don’t have e Jeep will me right now, but as soon i get back I’ll get under to see if any joints have any play. Any ideas guys thanks

TheDirtman 05-10-2018 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by Zachlieber (Post 4320931)
Hey guys, I have lifted JK w 35’s I recently bought. Was working fine until I actually turned the wheels from lock to lock the other night. When that happened I heard a loud noise near the front passenger (sorry title says L, I tried to change it to R) tire. I assume some tie rod end, track bar bolt or ball joint broke. Now when I’m at a stop and I try to turn the wheel when not driving it’s almost like I don’t have power steering. When I’m driving I can turn it fine. Took it shop they they said pump fine, fluid fine, has to do w changed geometry of lift. I’m wondering if i need a track bar relocation bracket, flipped drag link, new tie rod end etc. i don’t have e Jeep will me right now, but as soon i get back I’ll get under to see if any joints have any play. Any ideas guys thanks

what lift do you have? Are you running new wheels or adapters? How high is the lift? Photos of the front steering links will help.

Zachlieber 05-10-2018 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by TheDirtman (Post 4320951)

what lift do you have? Are you running new wheels or adapters? How high is the lift? Photos of the front steering links will help.

for sure man, I just bought it w 35’s and wheels, it looks like they may have replaced the springs and added some lift bc although it’s a rubicon, it looks higher than others on 35’s. I’ll check the springs. I’m also going to have someone put the key in to Unlock the steering wheel but not start the car, and I’ll video what it looks like under car when they’re turning wheel. W no power steering pump, under the most load possible, feel like problem will reveal itself

resharp001 05-10-2018 06:05 PM

Curious to see some more details on this. Since you're saying it's really hard to steer, and it is a rubicon, there is always the chance that somehow the front locker activated or is sticking. That would definitely make steering while sitting still hard, but become easier once the wheels were turning.

Just tap the brakes on the whole idea of bad joints, needing raised TB brackets and flipping drag links. A bad joint wouldn't bind the steering up like that. See if you can take some pics and videos and post em up. Do you hear any noises in any situations, (going straight, turning), if so....do they vary with speed? Was it just the one really loud noise you heard, nothing after that....just the effect in the steering after that?

BoraBora 05-14-2018 09:24 AM

The power steering pump is located on the passenger side, near the tire. I know they said your pump is fine, but I'm doubtful. How'd they diagnose it? What kind of loud noise? A pop? Bang? Any fluid anywhere?