Notices
JK Wheels and Tires For all questions and answers concerning Wheels and Tires for Jeep JKs.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel size and Tire Size

Old 03-20-2015, 12:34 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel size and Tire Size

Hello, I've had my Jeep JKU (Islander) 4 door for about a year now. I bought it with 60k miles in great condition. I was wondering what are good wheel size and tires sizes I should consider without a lift kit, but with flat fenders? I know flat fenders might make the tires look small in comparison. Anything will help thank you
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1671279931.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	602198  
Old 03-20-2015, 03:30 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Depends on the rest of the setup. You could probably run 35's or even larger with flats and no lift, but you would need lower backspacing on the rims to move the tires out further. Might also need to add some bumpstop, and possibly trim the pinch seams and front bumper and the crappy plastic skid. Just depends.
Old 03-20-2015, 04:14 PM
JK Newbie

Can I run 35's on the wheels I have now ? They are stock JKU wheels.
Old 03-20-2015, 04:14 PM
JK Newbie

What size lift looks good with 35's tires ?
Old 03-20-2015, 04:40 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Have you opened the two threads stuck to the top of this modified area?

The problem with the stock rims is the backspacing/offset. When you increase the tire height and width, you need to move the bigger tires out further to keep them off the frame/control arms/etc. You may be able add some washers to the steer stops to limit the actual turning radius, but you will probably still rub any time you are turning and hit any kind of dip in the road. Look at either wheel spacers/adapters, or new rims with lower backspace/offset.

For pics, go down to JK Show & Tell. There are some huge picture threads with any combination of lift and tire size you could want. The sites search engine isn't very good, so use this string in google or whatever search engine, followed by what you want to find.

site:www.jk-forum.com

Like:" site:www.jk-forum.com 2.5" 35's " for threads on 2.5" lifts with 35" tires
Old 03-20-2015, 04:51 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks guys!
Old 03-20-2015, 06:41 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Have you opened the two threads stuck to the top of this modified area? The problem with the stock rims is the backspacing/offset. When you increase the tire height and width, you need to move the bigger tires out further to keep them off the frame/control arms/etc. You may be able add some washers to the steer stops to limit the actual turning radius, but you will probably still rub any time you are turning and hit any kind of dip in the road. Look at either wheel spacers/adapters, or new rims with lower backspace/offset. For pics, go down to JK Show & Tell. There are some huge picture threads with any combination of lift and tire size you could want. The sites search engine isn't very good, so use this string in google or whatever search engine, followed by what you want to find. site:www.jk-forum.com Like:" site:www.jk-forum.com 2.5" 35's " for threads on 2.5" lifts with 35" tires
I have zero modifications to my Jeep so far. Just trying to get an idea of what I need. I'm thinking if 35's with s 2.5 lift and flat fenders. Would I need spacers to move the wheels and tires outward ? I'm guessing that it depends.
Old 03-20-2015, 06:42 PM
JK Newbie

Although I have also been searching at 37's with 4.5" lift. I an really loving that, in the future maybe.
Old 03-20-2015, 07:10 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by HeliTech.JK
Would I need spacers to move the wheels and tires outward ?

but you would need lower backspacing on the rims to move the tires out further.
Have you opened the two threads stuck to the top of this modified area?

The problem with the stock rims is the backspacing/offset. When you increase the tire height and width, you need to move the bigger tires out further to keep them off the frame/control arms/etc.

The lift increases the space upward between the tire and fender, and to a lesser extent, the frame. You still have components inward that you need to worry about. The control arms. The links. Whatever else. So again, when you install a taller/wider tire, you should look at moving the tires further out. If you have opened either of the threads mentioned above, or looked at the recommendation for many of the lift kits on the market, you might see that the general suggestion for a 35x12.50 is a 4.50" backspace. (stock rims are around 6.25", so that is moving them out another 1.75"). Tire sizes and lift heights can vary between mfg's, so it's just a rule of thumb, not a one-size-fits-all answer for every situation.

Quick Reply: Wheel size and Tire Size