Notices
JK Wheels and Tires For all questions and answers concerning Wheels and Tires for Jeep JKs.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel / Tire Help!

Old 11-05-2014, 05:24 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel / Tire Help!

So I have literally read 100 forum posts on this topic. Please advise if I am on the right track. First time posting.....Hope I am in the right Forum category.

I have a 2013 Gecko JK Unlimited Sport. It is currently 100% stock. It is equipped with 255/75/17 Goodyear Wranglers SR-A which are approximately 32.1" tall x 10" wide. The gear ratio is 3:21.

I do not want to modify fender flares, suspension (maybe a slight tweak but no lift), bumpers, wheel spacers, etc... This vehicle will be given to my son in a few years and want to literally just bolt factory wheel / tire package back on it......then order a another JK .

However, I want an off-road look and black wheels. I do NO off roading and want to keep the handling and drivability characteristics as close to OEM as possible while achieving a different look. So I think I have arrived at this configuration....

17 inch KMD Rockstar Wheels with 4.0 - 4.5 back spacing? Offset?
Either 285/75/R17 or 295/70/17 tires ?

Note: It stays on pavement. I do not want any rubbing at full crank. I do not want the tires sticking out of fender flares more than 1".

I know this is an ongoing topic but every one has a different end goal in mind. Yours opinions are appreciated.
Old 11-05-2014, 05:49 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Stock wheels have a 6.25" backspace.

A very common recommendation for 35x12.50 tires is a 4.5" backspace.

As the backspace number goes down, the rim moves further out of the wheel well. So using these numbers, the new rims with a 4.5" backspace will sit about 1.75" further out than the stock rims. Assuming the stock tires are about 10" wide, and the new tires are about 12.50 inches wide, you are also adding half of the difference to both sides as well - so the outside of the tire will sit out another 1.25" in addition to the 1.75" from the rims, or roughly 3" further out than stock. But then again, the width is the tread width, not the overall width of the tire, so it is actually further out than 3"... Clear as mud, right? Glad I could help.

Quick Reply: Wheel / Tire Help!