Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

07 JK won't start red security light pita!

Old 06-19-2012, 09:11 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 JK won't start red security light pita!

Started a few Weeks ago, usually starts fine in the morning however after it warms up I get the click and nothing...all the electronics work fine. The odd thing is that the red security light on the dash above the temp gauge lights up everytime I turn the key. Eventually it will start but its getting annoying and I have lost faith in taking it off road into rural areas. I have a manual transmission. Tried the reset computer thing, thought it was a bad key so switched to my as new spare, checked the main ground wire...no improvement. Any thoughts?
Old 06-20-2012, 03:11 AM
jdk
JK Freak

Battery ,,,,
Old 06-20-2012, 08:09 AM
JK Newbie

Sounds like the ignition switch isn't recognizing the key.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jdk
Battery ,,,,
X2

If it's the original battery it's possible that it's screwing something up. Mine started throwing strange codes for no reason and stopped when I replaced the 4 year old battery.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

What do you mean my reset computer thing? Mine did this once and I pulled the yellow 30amp fuse in the fuse box under the hood and left it out for 30 seconds. Put it back and it never did that again. But maybe you have already tried this.
Old 06-23-2012, 08:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default sounds similar

So what do u mean by it clicking and then eventually starting? I have an 07 4dr automatic rubicon and every now and again the jeep wont turn over but just click (sounds the same as yours). I havent found the cause, but the temporary solution for me is to take my jeep out of park (doesnt matter if I just put it into reverse or drive) and then put it back into park and it starts right up everytime. With yours being a manual i dont know if you can just move it in and out of gears to see if that makes a difference? If i dont take it out of park when it clicks it will just do keep clicking for a long time and eventually start so that's why I think we may have a similar issue. Hope this helps
Old 06-23-2012, 10:07 PM
JK Freak

Almost dead batteries do weird things to JK's. Replace it
Old 06-24-2012, 07:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Changed my battery and that didn't change anything.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:44 AM
JK Newbie

Easiest way to tell if it’s not reading your key properly is to put your key in the ignition and turn to the on position. The security light will come on, after a few seconds it should turn off and stay off until you turn the ignition back off. If the light comes on and then starts flashing it’s not reading your key.

IF it is reading your key properly, it could be a clutch switch. Basically if that is not working properly your jeep will act like the clutch pedal is not depressed and wont start. Just another idea

When you here the click sound is it just one or a lot of clicks back to back?
Old 06-25-2012, 10:54 AM
JK Freak

Really ironic but this happened to me yesterday. Got in and tried to start it twice with only a single click. Threw it into neutral and it started right up, didn't have any problems the rest of the day. Changed my battery out 6 months ago

Quick Reply: 07 JK won't start red security light pita!