Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

2 door custom rear seat (bucket replacing bench)

Old 03-12-2019, 06:29 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonesix-ed
I know this thread is a bit dated ... but would love to change the back seat in my 2016 JK 2DR ... and found this

https://www.suburbanseats.com/siteco...23-FR-0245.pdf
https://www.suburbanseats.com/p/doub...s--street-side

Wondering if anyone has installed anything like this in their Jeep?
I realize that this again... is an old thread, but considering we are trying to figure out a way to make our backseat into a one seat.

But, I'm responding here because of the Subaru seats you have posted the link to. Hubby went to a junkyard and actually pulled out an Subaru STI seat with bolsters. He got it for about $20. Anyway, at this point, we are just trying to figure out how to make it work. His idea was to bolt it down in the back, but discovered to get to the area is a bit difficult especially on the passenger side. Driver's side is easier.

Anyway, just thought you may want to check out the seats on the Subaru (front seats). You've started thinking in that direction way back in October.
Old 03-14-2019, 09:40 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Hoovis
I wanted one bucket seat in the back of my 2 door (and add cargo space), but with the option of a second bucket seat in back to fully replace the rear bench. As a quick note, I have a kid on the way and refused to give up my 2 door, so looked into options to make the 2 door "kid friendly" by being able to access the back seat through the tailgate. I could not find anyone who had done something similar, so figured a way to do it myself. Perhaps this is helpful to others, for any variety of reasons.

First, I'd like to give my kudos to Eastside Custom Truck of Kirkland, WA. They took my vision and SAFELY and securely installed my seat as I envisioned. I did what I consider quite a bit of homework, and they implemented exactly what I wanted. This is pretty easily replicated if you also want a 3 seater with the extra space for cargo (or 1 or 2 full bucket seats in back).

Before I post the pics, just know that there aren't a lot of aftermarket seats that can fit 2 buckets in the back of a 2 door. I searched. Most are too wide, too deep, or too tall (depending on headrests, but factory are removable, which is a huge plus). I also preferred the upholstery to match, but that was secondary. Nice that the right seats were also identical to the front, IF you can find them.

To my surprise, the best fit (by dimensions) I found was the factory front seats. But they are hard to find (the dealer quoted me at $2k each -- ridiculous). I finally found a set (both driver and passenger) on the East coast for $400 (only 6 sets nationwide that I found at salvage yards, and most were at $500+, plus shipping), and once found, I had them shipped.

To be clear, I wanted to be able to NOT have to maneuver the front seats to get an infant carrier into the back. WAY too much hassle. So I figured if I could just have one bucket in the back, I could slide the infant carrier through the opened tailgate since there was no longer the seat back (on one side) to contend with.

Here is the final product:

With the seat slid forward, there is a ton of cargo space:

For those who wanted to see roughly what it looks like with the 4th bucket seat in, here is a pic (the closer seat is up an extra inch as it is sitting on the bolts still, but you get the idea).

You can see that there is still room for the 4th (matching) bucket seat, but I didn't have that one installed (Again, I need the cargo and room for the kid.) But it WILL fit. I will probably work on some sort of more easily removable 4th seat option before installing, without having to crawl under the Jeep to unbolt it.

But for my purposes, this works GREAT. Because the seats are on sliders, it can still move 2 inches back from where pictured, or 7 inches forward if I need more storage behind. It is about as flush to floor as possible, and can fit someone 6'2" still in the back (for a soft top). As I said, it can be slid forward or back some, and is fully reclinable the same way your front seats work.

So perhaps this idea helps others with a 2 door wanting the extra cargo space or just to make their 2 door easier for an infant carrier (and it will be pretty darn easy). But wanted to share in hopes that it helps anyone else the way the other threads have helped me.

Lastly, you may be as surprised as I am, but the rear seat belt clip is different from the front. So I'll have to change out the receptacle or trim the metal on the clip. Surprised me, too, that they aren't the same, but there is always a flaw in something custom. This seems to be it. But should be an easy fix.

Edit: I swapped out the seat belt buckles from the original rear bench so they now work as they should. If someone doesn't have that part anymore (but still has the original belts in the back), the part number is 5KP791DVAA, and I was quoted $77 -- for that price, I robbed my own buckles as maybe nobody wants to buy the bench anyway.

Any thoughts or further questions are welcome, but two bucket seats in the back (on sliders) IS possible. I'm pleased with the results (but am holding off for the moment on installing the 4th until I can design an easily removable solution for the last seat).

This isn't exactly a full "write-up," but I know the info inside and out, so please just let me know if you need any additional info.

Just trying to do my part to keep this forum as good as it is.

dude. I need this. What do I need to order have a 2 month old and I can’t keep killing my self putting him in. Please tell me what I need to buy. Thanks.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by UGoonie !

dude. I need this. What do I need to order have a 2 month old and I can’t keep killing my self putting him in. Please tell me what I need to buy. Thanks.
You'll need to find a bucket seat, and then someone knowledgable/talented enough to install it well enough to give you peace of mind that it's safe for your kid. Fits just fine, though. Worked great for me for 3 years, until my wife selfishly got pregnant again, so I traded the 2 door for a 4 door.
Old 04-05-2019, 04:22 PM
JK Newbie

Default I am desperately looking for this!

I just do not want to get rid of my 2dr. If I could get plans or some kind of blueprint for this mod I would owe you something for sure! I have a son due in October. Actually due on my birthday. Gotta get ready! Thanks in advance!
Old 04-05-2019, 07:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Buckshot0311
I just do not want to get rid of my 2dr. If I could get plans or some kind of blueprint for this mod I would owe you something for sure! I have a son due in October. Actually due on my birthday. Gotta get ready! Thanks in advance!
I’m glad everyone likes the idea. Seems to be more and more interest of late. Worked great for me, until kid number 2.

But I suggest that all of you who are doing this, have done it, or are wanting to, please provide your info as you go along.

It’s been 10 years since I did mine. So my memory isn’t exactly “fresh,” nor am I sure I did it the best or easiest way. As far as I know, I was the first to do it, and surely someone has done it better by now. It wasn’t difficult, but there aren’t any “plans.” The factory JK front buckets fit, and work on the factory sliders as well. But the bolts from the sliders aren’t as long as you want. So it’s a bit of a puzzle working that out.

I used really large washers to disperse any force, but in hindsight, I’m not 100% confident they were big enough to disperse the force enough to not rip out in a major collision. Probably, but it’s your kid we are talking about.

In short, figure out the bolting and the plating underneath (the bigger the better). Just mount it as beefy as possible. How’s that for a blueprint?

Best I can do.

I loved it myself for around 3 years that I had it. In fact, I was just telling the story to my almost 10 year old how I even took it with the infant carrier installed to the fire department for a “quality assurance” test before use. I was so paranoid about safety that I became a self proclaimed expert on baby seat safety.

Anyway, the whole fire department was amazed. “Nice Jeep! What model is that? Love the single bucket, as it’s really kid friendly on these. Yes, your setup looks really solid. That infant carrier base is as well installed as we’ve ever seen. Should be strong as an ox....”

And then it hit them. What year is this? “2007.” Hmmmmm... why aren’t you using the LATCH system. It must be there somewhere. So I told them it was custom, they were even more amazed, but still gave it a thumbs up.

Bottom line: you can’t test it yourself, so make it overkill on structure however you want until you are comfortable. But I can’t tell you how to do that. It’s your kid. Don’t take my word for anything. But it works, and done right, you can install it as strong (or stronger) than factory, so just do that... or pay someone to (like I did).

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Hoovis; 04-05-2019 at 07:30 PM. Reason: typos from mobile
Old 05-30-2019, 10:43 PM
JK Newbie

Default Going for it

Hi,

I've been after this since I first read your post about nine months ago. I finally found a shop that'll take this on and install the seat. I have a from passenger seat from a Sahara in hand and cannot wait to get this project in. My five year old son is gonna be filled with joy and I can fit my storage and Dometic fridge right next to it. Thanks again for sharing this great solution and for being available to answer questions and talk through this project.

Best!!

- Ofer
Old 05-31-2019, 01:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ofermorag
Hi,

I've been after this since I first read your post about nine months ago. I finally found a shop that'll take this on and install the seat. I have a from passenger seat from a Sahara in hand and cannot wait to get this project in. My five year old son is gonna be filled with joy and I can fit my storage and Dometic fridge right next to it. Thanks again for sharing this great solution and for being available to answer questions and talk through this project.

Best!!

- Ofer
Happy to help! Hope it works for you as well as it did for me.
Old 10-14-2020, 12:15 AM
JK Newbie

Here I am, about 11 years later having the exact same thoughts. I like that you put the dual seats back there to show how well it fits. I am currently living overseas, but when I get back to the US I want a 2 door jeep (had a 4 door jeep previously). But we have a new daughter (she will be 2 by the time we get back there) and I was thinking about doing this exact same modification so she can sit in her seat when we go out camping and then we have the additional storage. My question would be, did you every resolve the issue w/ making it easier to take that seat out, or do you still need to crawl underneath to unbolt?

Thanks for your post!!

Jay
Old 10-14-2020, 03:09 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jay Johnson
Here I am, about 11 years later having the exact same thoughts. I like that you put the dual seats back there to show how well it fits. I am currently living overseas, but when I get back to the US I want a 2 door jeep (had a 4 door jeep previously). But we have a new daughter (she will be 2 by the time we get back there) and I was thinking about doing this exact same modification so she can sit in her seat when we go out camping and then we have the additional storage. My question would be, did you every resolve the issue w/ making it easier to take that seat out, or do you still need to crawl underneath to unbolt?

Thanks for your post!!

Jay
Hi Jay,

For me it’s been super great to have the JK and be able to take my son with me. My son is now almost 7 years old, and I gotta say it’s getting to be less comfortable fo him to be in the back of the Jeep, and so we are going out together less often. I’m still enjoying every trip I take in the JK (just went out for two weeks to explore they Colorado mountains, wow!). My son would likely like to have independence and have a door he can enter and exit through, and a window he can roll down. I built a killer cabinet system in the space behind the driver seat. It perfectly holds my generator, fridge, and all my camping gear. I also have a JK Vault to house the items I need less frequently, but still bring along (like a tire repair kit, an axe, etc.) Having those things installed have further cramped the single seat in the rear. If I did it again, and wanted my family to go along with me I’d build out a 4door. For solo trips I absolutely love the JK.

Best to you and yours,

Ofer Morag
Old 07-03-2021, 08:46 PM
JK Newbie

ahh I was just thinking how much easier it would be if there was a single bucket seat so my 120 pound rottie could fit comfortably with my boyfriends 7year old in the back and minimize the whining from both. What seat and where did you find it please!

Quick Reply: 2 door custom rear seat (bucket replacing bench)