Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2014 JKU no crank no start only mechanical clicking

Old 01-19-2019, 06:07 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 JKU no crank no start only mechanical clicking

Ok so I've been reading every possible thread and I can't seem to nail down a probable cause and solution.

2014 JKU Rubi. Manual trans. Less than 50k on the miles.
4inch lift and front bumper with winch

I was wheeling on the beach the other day for about 15 minutes with the family. 4low and lockers engaged playing in the sand. As I left the sand I stopped and shifted back to 4high and hit the locker button. The lockers kept flashing on the dash. So like I had in the past I turned off the motor. I was rolling forward at the time. In the past if I stopped and killed the motor the flashing locker indicators went away. (I'm new to lockers and the push button system. Maybe I'm a bone head but it had worked in the past)

Anyway, I went to start it again and... nothing....my first thought was bad ground to the battery. But they were tight. I traced the ground under the jeep, all wires look ok and I dont see a short or corroded connector. Then with the help of some beach bruddah we tried push starting the jeep. No go.

so we found a spot to park it and I checked all the plausible fuses. All good. Someone arrived to jump me. Now the dash lights up and when I turn the key the lights out the dash go nuts. Then a dude comes with a jump box fully charged. I turn the key and you can feel the jeep jump a little like the motor 8s trying to turn over and there is a mechanical click click click from the starter. I slid under and gave the starter a good whack a few times... no go....

GOT A TOW AND THE JEEP IS HOME.

I've got a Ford explorer. So I tried to jump again. Just clicking.... but I notice the check engine light is on with the key in run and a blinking sway bar light.

now I pull the battery and test it. 12.5v, but I pull it anyway and take the bat from the Ford and since it wont fit I see it on a stool and use the jump cable to hook the bat to the jeep cables... no go, just the same clicking from the starter. Original battery reinstalled.

so I buy a starter... installed and with the Ford jumping the the jeep... no go still just clicking.

I'm waiting on a red top battery to swap they had to order one. But shouldn't it work with my Ford battery bypassing the potentially bad jeep battery?

it's been 15 years since I've owned a jeep. Been wanting one since the jku came out. Finally I'm able to get one and 5 months after I buy it. Well you can imagine my discouragement. I'm no genius but I'm pretty good with tools.

anyone out there experienced this problem?
Old 01-23-2019, 01:01 PM
JK Newbie

So I posted this issue hoping for someone to chime in and help me out... nothing. Not one comment to assist or help. I solved my problem. I fixed my jeep.
Old 01-23-2019, 06:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

I haven’t been browsing the forums as regularly as I was, but I would have suggested bad starter solenoid.

What fixed your ride?
Old 01-24-2019, 08:56 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

So what fixed your problem? Given it's a 2014, it very well could have been the battery.
Old 05-10-2019, 05:31 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Error replied to wrong post
Old 03-22-2020, 07:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Bad battery?

Travis,
Did a new battery fix your issue? I had a similar issue after I replaced my oil cooler. I got everything back together and ...click, click.. no start. I checked the voltage at the battery and it was fine. I guess a cell had collapsed because I replaced the battery and it started on the first crank. It has been fine ever since.

Also, the blinking locker light after you press it to unlock them is just to let you know the locker is working on unlocking: You drive away and when it unlocks the light goes out and your locker is open.

I hope you’re back up and running!

Old 08-30-2022, 06:46 PM
JK Newbie

Was this problem with the 'clicking' and no start ever resolved? I have very similar symptoms right now with my '18 JK. What solved it?

Quick Reply: 2014 JKU no crank no start only mechanical clicking