Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

7-Way Trailer Tow Harness Install

Old 07-07-2015, 02:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mostlystock -- thanks for posting the pics. I am about to install the same harness and since the original thread pics are gone yours are very helpful.
Old 07-07-2015, 03:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TeamFaust
mostlystock -- thanks for posting the pics. I am about to install the same harness and since the original thread pics are gone yours are very helpful.
Glad to hear it. If you have any questions along the way send me a PM (or post note on the thread if you think it would help others too).
Old 02-22-2016, 01:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Great information mostlystock thanks for pictures. I'm planning on installing mopar 7pin harness also with tekonsha p3 controller.
I'm thinking of taping into the harness fused 12v with a side tap connector to power controller as mentioned in link jpstewart posted (ty jp) does anyone see any possible future problems with this?
Also I already have the 4 pin trailer connection installed with tow package which I'm leaving connected and is probably connected with a harness behind tail light. Will I have a problem just connecting the 7 pin harness in line with other harness?
I will follow general Christmas tree lights rule lol
Thanks in advance
Old 03-13-2017, 03:35 PM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Old Thread, New Life ...

Hi all. I know this is an old thread, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to add on to it.

We initially installed the MOPAR 7-way harness EXACTLY per MOPAR's instructions, and found that the heat shield had worn through/burnt in places and that one of our connections had melted due to exhaust heat. It turns out that others have also experienced the melted connector issue.

We decided to change things up as follows:

1. Modified the MOPAR wiring harness so that everything but the brake controller wire and power lead would fit in the tail light area. We were able to remove quite a bit of wiring in the process!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Trash.jpg
Views:	3582
Size:	542.5 KB
ID:	668234 Click image for larger version

Name:	Modified.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	794.3 KB
ID:	668233

2. Ran the tow harness power lead up through the tail light grommet, inside the cab along the driver's side floor, through and across the firewall. Installed split-loom for protection.

Name:	Cargo.jpg
Views:	451
Size:	445.9 KB
ID:	668236 Click image for larger version

Name:	Floor.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	444.2 KB
ID:	668239 Click image for larger version

Name:	Firewall.jpg
Views:	412
Size:	496.3 KB
ID:	668237 Click image for larger version

Name:	Firewall2.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	508.6 KB
ID:	668238

3. Cut out the bulky factory fuse, and wired the tow harness power lead to a DC fuse block under the hood.

Name:	Fuse Box.jpg
Views:	3578
Size:	424.0 KB
ID:	668235

4. Ran the brake controller wire up to the driver's side footwell. Coiled it up for future use.

5. Ran a second power and ground wire from the fuse block to the driver side rear cargo area. We figured it was minimal extra effort and cost, and would save a lot of time in the future. We might use this for our ARB freezer.

Name:	Cargo2.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	458.1 KB
ID:	668240

6. Created a multi-wire common ground at the rear bumper. We took four 10AWG wires, twisted them together, crimped into a 4AWG copper lug, filled with solder, heat shrinked, covered with split loom, and bolted to the rear bumper/frame. We then ran 3 of the wires into the tail light area for ground, and left a fourth wire (sealed with liquid electrical tape) outside of the tail light area. This way we never have to worry about a good ground if we decide to not run a ground wire all the way to the battery. The grey stuff is NoOx (some sort of zinc-filled conductive grease or whatever) ... it's supposed to keep out moisture, prevent corrosion, and maintain connectivity.

Name:	Ground.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	540.0 KB
ID:	668241

7. Cut a hole in the driver's side rear quarter panel, and install the trailer receptacle there. Crazy idea, right? But this allows for shortening/cleaning up the wiring, and it's one less hole to drill in the bumper...and weaken it.

Name:	Hole.jpg
Views:	432
Size:	475.9 KB
ID:	668242

8. Unbolted the aftermarket (LOD) safety chain plate that mounts below the rear bumper (LOD), cut it, and welded to the bumper. No more catching on obstacles! A paper towel was inside the bumper and caught fire during welding; my husband had to stop mid-weld to put out the fire ... hence the break in the bead.

Name:	Safety Chain Plate.jpg
Views:	457
Size:	370.4 KB
ID:	668243

9. Connected everything up and tested. It all worked on the first try! We had NO issues with turn signals, running lights, brake lights, etc., working.

Name:	Installed_rear.jpg
Views:	481
Size:	358.5 KB
ID:	668244

Hope this helps!

Last edited by OnBelay; 03-13-2017 at 03:40 PM.
Old 03-13-2017, 04:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by OnBelay
Hi all. I know this is an old thread, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to add on to it.
Thank you, OnBelay, for the thorough writeup with photos. Old thread? No problem, valuable stuff and thanks for taking the time to post. Based on that I'm going to go have a look at the harness as it's been 1.5+ years since I did it.

That is, once the weather warms up.... blizzard conditions tomorrow
Old 03-13-2017, 05:40 PM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mostlystock
Thank you, OnBelay, for the thorough writeup with photos. Old thread? No problem, valuable stuff and thanks for taking the time to post. Based on that I'm going to go have a look at the harness as it's been 1.5+ years since I did it.

That is, once the weather warms up.... blizzard conditions tomorrow
Wow, hang in there with the weather! Note: we installed the wiring harness 7 years ago, so it probably accumulated a lot of stress between then and now!
Old 06-23-2017, 08:05 AM
JK Newbie

Default Right brake/turn not working!

Old thread...got it. But hoping you can help!

I have this setup, and installed it about a year ago. I'm *pretty* sure that everything was working correctly...however, now the right brake/turn on the trailer isn't working.
The Jeep lights are working fine, even with the trailer attached.

The 7-way pin for the Left brake/turn is getting energized properly, but not the pin for the Right Brake/Turn. I've checked the relay, and all the wiring harnesses. Not sure where to even troubleshoot!

Any help you can offer would be great!
Old 06-23-2017, 08:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chesterhull
Old thread...got it. But hoping you can help!

I have this setup, and installed it about a year ago. I'm *pretty* sure that everything was working correctly...however, now the right brake/turn on the trailer isn't working.
The Jeep lights are working fine, even with the trailer attached.

The 7-way pin for the Left brake/turn is getting energized properly, but not the pin for the Right Brake/Turn. I've checked the relay, and all the wiring harnesses. Not sure where to even troubleshoot!

Any help you can offer would be great!
I too am having the same issue with Right blinker not working on the trailer? any thoughts/help appreciated.
Everything else seems to work perfect..
Old 06-26-2017, 01:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pdx-rubicon
I too am having the same issue with Right blinker not working on the trailer? any thoughts/help appreciated.
Everything else seems to work perfect..
BUMP
Anyone have any ideas on how to get right blinker to work? Anything to check?
The following users liked this post:
PPIERCE931 (06-18-2019)

Quick Reply: 7-Way Trailer Tow Harness Install