Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Ace Engineering Cargo Basket

Old 12-28-2013, 03:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Ace Engineering Cargo Basket

I purchased the Ace Engineering Cargo Basket for the 2 door back during the black Friday sale.
It showed up December 26th. Which was a long time, but Ace was really good about letting me know after i ordered that there was going to be delay.
Showed up in 2 boxes, very well packaged, no damage or anything.
I unboxed and went to go install it..... problem is it doesn't really work with a soft top.
It will work if you never put the top down, but what is the fun in that?
The problem is that the bars that hold the basket are in the way of the soft top frame when you fold it down. When installed, and you tried to put the top down, the top would sit about 6 inches higher than normal !( i think something would bend if you hit a bump or went offroad).
If i had a hard top or never put the soft top down, i would give this product a 5 out of 5, but since it does not work with the top in all positions ( and the website states it does work with the factory soft top) i give it a 2 out of 5.
The product is well made, looks great, but just doesn't work if you have a soft top and like to put the top down.

I emailed ACE Thursday night to see what they say about it. I've had no problems with their customer service in the past, so i expect the problem will be resolved.

So, if you have a hard top or never put the top down, 5 out of 5 !. If you have a soft top and like to put the top down, you may want to reconsider
Old 12-29-2013, 05:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went and checked it out...it is very solid built and a sharp looking add on. The description does say it works with both 2 and 4 door hardtops and soft tops as well as trektop nx. On a 4door I don't see where it would obstruct the soft top from folding back but there isn't enough room for that on a 2 door. I'm willing to bet there meaning youc an run all those tops but they played on the words and didn't add they would be functional!.. they need to fix that in the description.
Old 12-29-2013, 05:23 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any pics? Or a link to this product please and thanks..... Working from an iPhone here no computer.... Sorry
Old 12-29-2013, 06:54 AM
JK Junkie

Cargo Basket
Old 12-29-2013, 07:50 AM
JK Junkie

Cool thank you
Old 01-03-2014, 07:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

I received a response from ACE yesterday and they are looking into it.
I'm not sure how much looking there is to do, it clearly stops the soft top from functioning, but i am glad they are responding quickly.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:04 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got the rampage cargo rack I love it
Old 01-03-2014, 04:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ok, where can i get one of those? That certainly solves the problem.
I like the look of the ACE basket better... but its useless to me if i cant put the top down.

Also... how is the flashlight holder mounted?
Old 01-03-2014, 09:28 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zedteamk2
Ok, where can i get one of those? That certainly solves the problem.
I like the look of the ACE basket better... but its useless to me if i cant put the top down.

Also... how is the flashlight holder mounted?
The basket I ordered off quadratec it's the rampage sport cargo rack. The flashlight is a streamlight stinger led hl and the base comes with screws. So it's just screwed to the plastic trim. Holds solid and the flashlight is wired to the lights. Lights on = flashlight charging
Old 01-03-2014, 10:34 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zedteamk2
I purchased the Ace Engineering Cargo Basket for the 2 door back during the black Friday sale.
It showed up December 26th. Which was a long time, but Ace was really good about letting me know after i ordered that there was going to be delay.
Showed up in 2 boxes, very well packaged, no damage or anything.
I unboxed and went to go install it..... problem is it doesn't really work with a soft top.
It will work if you never put the top down, but what is the fun in that?
The problem is that the bars that hold the basket are in the way of the soft top frame when you fold it down. When installed, and you tried to put the top down, the top would sit about 6 inches higher than normal !( i think something would bend if you hit a bump or went offroad).
If i had a hard top or never put the soft top down, i would give this product a 5 out of 5, but since it does not work with the top in all positions ( and the website states it does work with the factory soft top) i give it a 2 out of 5.
The product is well made, looks great, but just doesn't work if you have a soft top and like to put the top down.

I emailed ACE Thursday night to see what they say about it. I've had no problems with their customer service in the past, so i expect the problem will be resolved.

So, if you have a hard top or never put the top down, 5 out of 5 !. If you have a soft top and like to put the top down, you may want to reconsider
I'm a huge ACE fan, I've got just about everything they make, but the cargo basket threw me...the holiday pricing was too good to pass up, but I have a 2 door and it just didn't seem like it would fit well with my dual tops.

in the summer doesn't it cause those items in the basket to ride high and both on display for theft when parked and also put it up high enough to really want to take flight if not strapped down extremely well?

i even went out to my garage with an iPad with the picture of the basket on it and tried to figure it out, mainly because the ACE stuff is always built so well and it was priced so low...I almost ordered one on faith...

curious to see how this works out

matthew

Quick Reply: Ace Engineering Cargo Basket