Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Adding, replacing and creating a spare key

Old 02-19-2010, 06:11 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Adding, replacing and creating a spare key

I did a search and didn't find a detailed write up of this anywhere. This information is available in the owner's manual, but this expanded version should be more helpful. Reading around messages about lost keys made me decide to create a spare key for a non-alarm equipped Rubicon. Costs for replacement keys at the dealership have been reported to be $90 to $270! I hope for $270 quote was for the remote equipped key...

The critical issue is to create a spare key while you have TWO functional keys. If you have two working keys you can add an additional key without needing access to a dealer and their diagnostic computer. So if you have three keys and lose one you can buy another blank and still program another replacement key. According to the owner's manual you are limited to 8 keys that can programmed by an owner.

I picked up a blank non-alarm key that includes the critical transponder chip for $15.00 including shipping on eBay.

For those of you with an alarm key fob you can still use the non-alarm, but transponder equipped key as a back-up key. This would allow you to later purchase a remote equipped key blank (likely from a MOPAR parts dealer), but you would be able to code it to the vehicle yourself because you have TWO working keys and can save some cash.

After you get your blank you will have to get your key cut and copied. I decided to go to a locksmith rather than the hardware store because I've found that hardware stores make more bad copies as they are less skilled than a locksmith. This isn't an issue when they are providing the blanks and simply cut you a new key if the copy doesn't work. On the other hand, since I just spent $15.00 on a blank I didn't want to have to try again with yet another blank.

The locksmith was surprised when I brought my own blank, but after I explained it was transponder equipped she understood. She asked if I knew how to program it and I said I did. Since I provided the blank she charged me a whole $2.00 to cut my key. So my total cost for this "mod" was $17.00.

The next thing you want to do is check your key and make sure it works. Check it in all the doors and the gate. The key is designed to work in two directions so check it once, rotate it 180 degrees and check it again. Lastly you want to check in the ignition. Be careful here or you will wind up triggering the ant-theft system. I only spun the key to the accessory position. I did this twice and flipped the key on the second try.

If you actually try to start the Jeep with the key before it is programmed the motor will run briefly and than shut off. If you do this too many times, not sure how many though, the Jeep will shutdown for 24 hours and your only option is to wait it out or tow it to the dealer.

Assuming the key mechanically unlocks everything you are ready to program the new key. YOU MUST HAVE TWO EXISTING FUNCTIONAL KEYS. Here are the steps as cribbed from the vendor and modified by me to be JK specific:

1. Insert one of the existing transponder keys into the ignition and turn the switch to the ON/RUN position. (i.e. not the ACCESSORY position, but don't start the Jeep. Marvel as all the idiot lights illuminate because engine is non-running)

2. The key should remain in the ON position for 5 seconds but not more then 15 seconds before you turn it back to the OFF position.

3. Within 10 seconds, insert the second existing transponder key into the ignition and turn the switch to the ON position. The Sentry Key Immobilizer System lamp should start to flash. On the JK this a red dot over by the temperature gauge. It is located at about the 1:00 position of the gauge.

(The key vendor and owner's manual suggests "this along with a audible tone will indicate to you that the system has entered the 'Customer Learn' programming mode." I didn't hear anything like this. I just kept hearing the seat belt chime. But I didn't have any issues.)

4. Within 45 seconds, turn the switch to the OFF position. Insert the new transponder key that you just had cut and turn the switch to the ON position. "After approximately 10 seconds an audible tone will sound and the Indicator lamp will stay illuminated for 3 seconds." Once again I didn't hear any tones other than the seat belt chime. But the Sentry Key light next to the temperature gauge DID turn itself off. I waited a few more seconds and turned the Jeep off.

At this point you should be done. I crossed my fingers and started the Jeep with my new key and it worked fine. If it didn't the Jeep will run for a few seconds and shut off. DO NOT KEEP TRYING THE NEW KEY IF THE ENGINE DOESN'T CONTINUE TO RUN. You will activate the the anti-theft feature. Start the Jeep with one of your original keys first, stop the engine and try again.

I also checked my two original keys running the Jeep for about a minute each time to make sure there were no issues with the anti-theft system. I didn't have any problems.

Hope this helps and good luck!
Old 02-19-2010, 07:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fantastic write up and a great way to save some cash...I really need to do this before I end up losing one of my keys.

Thanks for posting this!
Old 02-19-2010, 08:41 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Nice write-up

Some people just can't get it to accept the new key, though. They have to use the StarScan.
Old 02-20-2010, 06:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Great minds think alike! I did this mod and I took my blank key to home depot. The guy was so impressed when I told him what I was doing he didn't charge me to cut the key!
Old 02-23-2010, 06:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

great write up. thanks!
Old 02-23-2010, 06:51 PM
JK Freak

Sticky please great write up
Old 02-23-2010, 07:37 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for doing this write-up. I bought 2 keys on Ebay and had them cut at my local Ace Hardware. Took a couple of tries to program them, but it works. Definately a sticky.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Is there any way to purchase an alarm fob seperate from the key and have it programed? I hate the keys with the buttons in it. The dealership parts guy looked at me like I was retarded when I asked him, I'm not sure he understood what I wanted.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:08 PM
JK Freak

Great write up... I did the same a while back... after my friend at work lost his keys to his Durango... twice!

I went and got one of those grey transponder only keys (no remote) and it worked... so I did it again, with a key with remote... but I cheated a little bit.

on eBay, you can find some used remote keys from people who sell their vehicle (dodge, jeep, etc) that already has the cuts. You can find them for $2.00 easy. Also, you can find some "replacement cases"... uncut keys with the plastic housing, no electronics inside, for $10, I think... maybe $20. Buy one of each, pull the electronics from the used key, put in the replacement case, (might as well add new battery too). Take it to Home Depot / Lowe's /Ace... (I went to Home Depot, and the guy didn't charge me to cut the copy).

MUCH MUCH cheaper than going to dealership!
Old 02-27-2010, 10:00 AM
JK Newbie

Try to remember not to keep the original keys close to the ignition at the same time when doing this...you can have the original key on your lap and a non-transponder key start the car.

Someone I know cut his original key so that it was just the transponder and glued it somewhere under his dash close to the ignition (wasn't a Jeep) and he was able to use any cut spare key.

Quick Reply: Adding, replacing and creating a spare key