Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Another ESP kill switch tutorial, with 23 photos, 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport JK

Old 02-16-2013, 05:18 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another ESP kill switch tutorial, with 23 photos, 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport JK

Thanks forum posters, for educating me in this procedure. Here's me giving back.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zombiei...7632785264438/

Some people seem confused by why the 2012 Owner's Manual says there's a steering wheel dance trick (a sequence of seemingly random actions that send messages to the computer) you can do to permanently deactivate ESP, but it doesn't work. I suspect it's because that would pretty much "break" ESP, and stability control is now mandatory. So it was probably intended to be a feature, but the feature had to be removed at the last minute, and the manual wasn't updated. And that wouldn't be useful to me anyway, because I like keeping stability control on at high speeds on wet or snowy pavement.

This will deactivate stability control, ABS, and cruise control when the switch is flipped to off. ABS isn't good for off-roading either, and cruise control should not be something you're using with stability control off, anyway. So it's pretty much a win-win-win switch!

And, my mount includes LEGOs.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0824.jpg
Views:	7632
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	423120  
Old 02-16-2013, 05:21 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lol I thought that tire around your switch looked familiar! Actually looks real good though, nice place to put the switch. I use the same single throw toggle switch but above the driver side dash speaker.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Nice write up zombie! I may just be adding a new switch!
Old 02-28-2013, 03:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

I ended up doing this when I bent my tie rod two years ago. I had to pull over and cut the wire because my ESP thought I was going off the road and would pulse the brakes around every corner, which would almost send me off the road.

The only thing is I used a momentary switch. Just breaking the circuit, even for a second will disable it until the jeep is restarted. So all you need is a momentary.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Good write up! When you flick that switch do a bunch of warning lights turn on in your dash? If so which lights turn on?
Old 03-01-2013, 10:20 AM
JK Newbie

Yes, the ABS and ESP lights come on and stay on until you restart the vehicle with the switch back on. The cruise control also stops working without any warning lights coming on.

And as mentioned above, a momentary switch would work fine, too. The non-momentary switch like mine would let you leave it off after a restart as well.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:08 PM
JK Newbie

Default re: ESP KILL SWITCH....

Originally Posted by zombieite
Thanks forum posters, for educating me in this procedure. Here's me giving back.

Step 1: 2012 Jeep Wrangler JK stability control / traction control / ESP kill switch installation | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Some people seem confused by why the 2012 Owner's Manual says there's a steering wheel dance trick (a sequence of seemingly random actions that send messages to the computer) you can do to permanently deactivate ESP, but it doesn't work. I suspect it's because that would pretty much "break" ESP, and stability control is now mandatory. So it was probably intended to be a feature, but the feature had to be removed at the last minute, and the manual wasn't updated. And that wouldn't be useful to me anyway, because I like keeping stability control on at high speeds on wet or snowy pavement.

This will deactivate stability control, ABS, and cruise control when the switch is flipped to off. ABS isn't good for off-roading either, and cruise control should not be something you're using with stability control off, anyway. So it's pretty much a win-win-win switch!

And, my mount includes LEGOs.
one of the more useful/well-described & implemented modifications Ive come across in some time. Thnks, man.
Jeep ON.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

So if I wanted my esp off permanently could I just cut the purple wire with the thin light blue line. And cap off the wire to keep it from getting wet etc.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:37 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ghostjk
So if I wanted my esp off permanently could I just cut the purple wire with the thin light blue line. And cap off the wire to keep it from getting wet etc.
Sure. But I'd only do that if I never wanted to drive on-road again, for 2 reasons:

1. Stability control and ABS can save your life in bad weather at speed.
2. In many states it won't pass inspection with warning lights visible on the dash and error codes in the computer.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Is there any way to shut off ESP permanently while keeping ABS?

Quick Reply: Another ESP kill switch tutorial, with 23 photos, 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport JK