Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Another ESP kill switch tutorial, with 23 photos, 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport JK

Old 06-21-2018, 12:14 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering wheel dance

Originally Posted by natebri2575
I did mine with the so called steering wheel dance. Worked great and will only come back on if I do the dance again. But I have no emissions test to pass.
could u tell me or give me a link on how to do this steering wheel dance to disable the esp please? Thanks!
Old 06-22-2018, 04:36 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

I think this is it.

1. Place into 4H
2. turn jeep off then on (actually start the jeep)
3. center wheel
4. turn clockwise so JEEP is upside down at 180 degrees
5. press and hold esp for 7 seconds (at 5 secs you will hear one chime) now depress the esp button keeping the wheel in the same position hold 7 seconds. you will hear another chime.
6. recenter wheel
7. turn counter clockwise till JEEP is upside down.
8. Press and hold ESP for 7 seconds (at 5 secs you will hear one chime) now depress the esp button keeping the wheel in the same position hold 7 seconds. you will hear another chime.
9. Recenter wheel
10. Press and hold ESP for 7 seconds. then depress until you hear the chime.
11. Turn off Jeep
Old 06-22-2018, 07:11 AM
JK Newbie

Default Dash lights

Originally Posted by zombieite
Yes, the ABS and ESP lights come on and stay on until you restart the vehicle with the switch back on. The cruise control also stops working without any warning lights coming on.

And as mentioned above, a momentary switch would work fine, too. The non-momentary switch like mine would let you leave it off after a restart as well.
so do the lights go off though with the switch off? Like when the esp and abs is in disable mode can u make the lights go off after u restart that car?
Old 06-22-2018, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by jedg
I think this is it.

1. Place into 4H
2. turn jeep off then on (actually start the jeep)
3. center wheel
4. turn clockwise so JEEP is upside down at 180 degrees
5. press and hold esp for 7 seconds (at 5 secs you will hear one chime) now depress the esp button keeping the wheel in the same position hold 7 seconds. you will hear another chime.
6. recenter wheel
7. turn counter clockwise till JEEP is upside down.
8. Press and hold ESP for 7 seconds (at 5 secs you will hear one chime) now depress the esp button keeping the wheel in the same position hold 7 seconds. you will hear another chime.
9. Recenter wheel
10. Press and hold ESP for 7 seconds. then depress until you hear the chime.
11. Turn off Jeep
I've been looking for these steps recently. The only problem is that when I turn my wheel, clockwise or counter clockwise is getting my Jeep to flip upside down.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:55 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednroll
I've been looking for these steps recently. The only problem is that when I turn my wheel, clockwise or counter clockwise is getting my Jeep to flip upside down.
hahahahaha... you kill me!
Old 02-04-2021, 05:58 AM
JK Newbie

So I am assuming that the factory button to disable traction control does not do the same thing? (it looks like this "fun switch" disables more than just the traction control and related system)

Quick Reply: Another ESP kill switch tutorial, with 23 photos, 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport JK