Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Another stock bumper winch mount

Old 09-24-2008, 03:30 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice install! How much creative fabrication did it require?
Old 09-24-2008, 03:56 PM
JeepSWAG
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bad Droid
Yeah, thats exactly what I mean. Maybe there is a section on each side that could be removed, like maybe 4 to 6" and then re attached. The trick would be getting the cover to re-match without looking like something Jethro Clampett would have whittled on.
Damn, That really looks nice.......
Can be done;

Old 09-24-2008, 05:45 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Joe_24
Very nice install! How much creative fabrication did it require?
Thanks, the only real fab was cutting the 1/4 inch steel winch plate and then welding it back on as a side support. The rest was "trimming" out the stock bumper. Most of the work came into figuring out where to cut and how to make it work the best. Like moving the outer bumper 1.5 inches out so I could clear my factory fogs.

Try it, worst case scenerio you have to buy a new bumper, and wasted a winch plate.
Old 09-25-2008, 06:04 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In addition to the bolts on the new plate, you also bolted it to the frame from underneath? Did it not feel stable with just the bottom bolts?

Andrew... If you buy a winch, I'll help you out on this project. If it works I'll do mine next Also, Harbor Freight is doing a lot of re-arranging right now & I tried to talk the Manager into selling me one of the display winches for cheap, but he wouldn't bite.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

That looks awesome! Very clean look, nice work!
Old 09-25-2008, 05:26 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by YellowToy
In addition to the bolts on the new plate, you also bolted it to the frame from underneath? Did it not feel stable with just the bottom bolts?

Andrew... If you buy a winch, I'll help you out on this project. If it works I'll do mine next Also, Harbor Freight is doing a lot of re-arranging right now & I tried to talk the Manager into selling me one of the display winches for cheap, but he wouldn't bite.
After I cut the two back corners of the winch plate off, I only had two points to mount to the frame. Which were the forward, bottom. So I welded the two angles I cut off to the sides of the winch plate and bolted them to the frame through the sides. This gave me four bolts holding the winch plate to the frame. I figured that the pressure from any winching operation would then be distributed to four bolts rather then two, just like the winch mounting to the winch plate is four bolts.

Agian my biggest problem was figuring our how to clear the factory fogs, and the welding of the angles back onto the winch plate.

Do it though, it was a blast. And self rewarding to see it through.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Great write up Man!!1

That is awesome. Thanks for sharing. I stubbed my bumpers, don't look quite as good as the above pic.
Great job!!!
Old 12-14-2010, 12:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Does any one make a kit that makes this a very simple mod? I dont want to destroy my bumper.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jgregory124
Does any one make a kit that makes this a very simple mod? I dont want to destroy my bumper.

yup, right here http://www.quadratec.com/products/12106_0004_07.htm
Old 12-14-2010, 07:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm sorry I meant for the winch cut out set up for the stock bumper

Quick Reply: Another stock bumper winch mount