Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Bed-liner Comparisons

Old 09-04-2012, 06:42 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bed-liner Comparison

After a trip to Moab this weekend I came home with a major rash, Rock rash that is.
I was looking at previous threads and could not find a spray on bed-liner comparison, so here is one....

I purchased 2 brands of bed-liner, Dupli-Color Bed Armor (Armor) and Rust-Oleum Truck Bed Coating (Rust-Oleum).
I know there more on the market, this is what was available locally to me.

This first shot is one coat, you can see that the Armor spays very uneven and has a "splatter to it",
the Rust-Oleum sprays a lot smoother, almost like paint.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0604smal1l.jpg
Views:	6477
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	362265

Second Coat, complete coverage on both, you can see that the Armor has more "fill", look at the center of the eight, it is all-most puddling.
Also look at the color, the Armor is gray as compared to the Rust-Oleums black.

Name:	IMG_0605 SMALL.jpg
Views:	15313
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	362273

Fully dried, up close you can see the "splatter" on the Armor side, Nice and smooth on the Rust-Oleum.

Name:	IMG_0608 SMALL.jpg
Views:	4068
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	362274

This last shot is both next to the factory Rubi-rail.
You can see that they are both close to a match, the choice is yours, the texture on both feel about the same, except for the "chunks" on the Armor side. As for Color both are close, The Armor is a bit duller, the Rust-Oleum has a bit of a shine to it.

Name:	IMG_0617Small.jpg
Views:	7673
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	362276

Last step, see which one has the most UV protection, i am going to place both in direct sunlight and see how they hold up, stay tuned.

Last edited by BDP849; 09-04-2012 at 06:58 PM.
Old 09-28-2014, 12:38 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BDP849
After a trip to Moab this weekend I came home with a major rash, Rock rash that is.
I was looking at previous threads and could not find a spray on bed-liner comparison, so here is one....

I purchased 2 brands of bed-liner, Dupli-Color Bed Armor (Armor) and Rust-Oleum Truck Bed Coating (Rust-Oleum).
I know there more on the market, this is what was available locally to me.

This first shot is one coat, you can see that the Armor spays very uneven and has a "splatter to it",
the Rust-Oleum sprays a lot smoother, almost like paint.
Attachment 362265

Second Coat, complete coverage on both, you can see that the Armor has more "fill", look at the center of the eight, it is all-most puddling.
Also look at the color, the Armor is gray as compared to the Rust-Oleums black.
Attachment 362273

Fully dried, up close you can see the "splatter" on the Armor side, Nice and smooth on the Rust-Oleum.
Attachment 362274

This last shot is both next to the factory Rubi-rail.
You can see that they are both close to a match, the choice is yours, the texture on both feel about the same, except for the "chunks" on the Armor side. As for Color both are close, The Armor is a bit duller, the Rust-Oleum has a bit of a shine to it.
Attachment 362276

Last step, see which one has the most UV protection, i am going to place both in direct sunlight and see how they hold up, stay tuned.

So how is the sun fading comparisons going? It's been one year. The Duplicolor looks the best IMO.
Old 09-28-2014, 01:49 PM
-

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quick Reply: Bed-liner Comparisons